Nagra Debuts its New Reference Anniversary Turntable/Tonearm Record Playback System

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I was a bit puzzled when Nagra announced this limited edition TT. Kind of the same reaction when I heard Thorens was going to release a new tape deck. I wrote to Gunter Kürten asking him why he was introducing a tape deck when he should be releasing an updated TD124; he told me to wait for more news.... This time, I wrote to my contact at Nagra, asking him why the company spent all this time and effort to make something that many other companies with more experience and expertise (in TT design) were already doing, when they could easily design and build a state of the art tape machine. He told me to wait for more news........
Apparently the market share of vinyl versus tape is 10 - 1 , so a record player would sell much better .
I dont understand the logic anyway , if you re into classical or Jazz why not buy a tape machine.

If you have 100 K to spend you can buy all the tapes available .
Add to that a telefunken or studer plus a external tapestage / tapehead amplifier if you feel like and you have better SQ then LP playback afaic , without having to do all these cartridge / arm adjustments

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
the design and engineering for a turntable is trivial and sales and fat profits are guaranteed. zero risk for service nightmares. easy peasy. predictable.

an uber tape deck now is betting the company, huge investments in engineering and tooling, small market and profits. there is not market case to be made for a $175k tape deck. how many would you need to sell to break even?

this is the real world where you can go bust.

serious players buy a Studer A-820 (or a few other preferred decks) and pay someone to maintain it. get the heads and output electronics that float your boat. the odds of someone getting to that level and pulling it off with a ground up tape deck design are pretty low. and if you can't then why go there?

Reactions: Lagonda

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont agree .
In europe you can buy a well maintained / restored studer A 80 for 7 K , you can have it with a direct heads out for more or less the same price .
With a Eternal arts tape stage of around 2250 euro you have a 10 K package which you can put up against any LP playback afaic .
Spend 20 - 25 K and you have a package with a Doshi
Its only the tape ( recording ) quality which is the limiting factor as to how far one can take it as a source

Ps I really wish Nagra would design a statement tapedeck as it would bring a lot of attention to the brand

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andromeda, you're gonna find very few people defending 175 Big on this tt. I've heard an amazing modded Thorens 124, exemplary Vyger and Brinkmann Balance, the Vyger in the mother of all amazing Thomas Mayer/Pnoe horns based system. I have ZERO expectation that this Nagra can significantly beat these TTs at a fraction of the cost in any meaningful way, certainly based on this video.
Ditto the SAT DD and OMA K3.
The AS2000, AF0? Now there's something to discuss. But not this Nagra.
Shame, I love the looks, and the brand. But this TT looks pure lifestyle aspirational, not cutting edge.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Shame, I love the looks, and the brand. But this TT looks pure lifestyle aspirational, not cutting edge.
I dont think its fair to conclude this from some pics and a product description
I think the oil dampened springs or whatever the mechanism is looks fancy .
The proof will be in the listening and use of the TT .
They are not stupid in CH .

Reactions: Zeotrope

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Andromeda, I guess what we consider reasonable depends on how much money we have left at the end of the month after paying our bills Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Andromeda, I guess what we consider reasonable depends on how much money we have left at the end of the month after paying our bills Lol.
Sure , but if it delivers , thats what its is all about in the end .
I could spend substantially more on HIFI if i wanted to ,....... but it needs to deliver substantially more as well .

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
the design and engineering for a turntable is trivial and sales and fat profits are guaranteed. zero risk for service nightmares. easy peasy. predictable.

an uber tape deck now is betting the company, huge investments in engineering and tooling, small market and profits. there is not market case to be made for a $175k tape deck. how many would you need to sell to break even?

this is the real world where you can go bust.

serious players buy a Studer A-820 (or a few other preferred decks) and pay someone to maintain it. get the heads and output electronics that float your boat. the odds of someone getting to that level and pulling it off with a ground up tape deck design are pretty low. and if you can't then why go there?

Hello Mike, Why do you think the design and engineering for a turntable is trivial? You have four turntables and have owned many, many others over the years. I am sure they all sounded different, and for specific reasons. I have nowhere near your experience, but I have heard three extraordinary turntables that were so far ahead of the rest that I have heard (admittedly in different contexts) that it leaves me wondering. What is it about those three examples? Two are vintage and one contemporary but no longer really available (AS2000). They are all massive efforts, and now extremely rare and expensive.

This tells me that turntable design, at the highest levels, is a very difficult thing to do. The engineering may be easier than the design, but some tables promising to be the best new thing, come and go rather quickly, while the very best are revered for decades and become legendary. Is this not the point you are making with the Studer A-820?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Andromeda, you're gonna find very few people defending 175 Big on this tt. I've heard an amazing modded Thorens 124, exemplary Vyger and Brinkmann Balance, the Vyger in the mother of all amazing Thomas Mayer/Pnoe horns based system. I have ZERO expectation that this Nagra can significantly beat these TTs at a fraction of the cost in any meaningful way, certainly based on this video.
Ditto the SAT DD and OMA K3.

No one can defend in a rational way an expensive turntable. But it is our choice to please our sound reproduction preferences. I know and explained before why I have this hobby and why I come to this forum to discuss it. I will never pretend individual hobbies are a rational way of spending our time.

Why not the AF1+? At less we can have full information on it. There are a few of us here who own it, including one of the forum owners ...

I am curious. How do you define cutting edge considering turntables? Something with a steam engine with centrifugal flyball governor?
a1.jpg

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
So maybe this is a statement table and something more affordable with 90% of the performance at a lower price point? Is that how you read his reply? I know they have their HD Phono stage nearing completion, I wonder what else they are working on?
I suspect a new tape machine is more likely. All they need to do is reintroduce the Nagra T Audio in a simplified form without the time code and other functions that film production houses need. That will be good news for me since there will hopefully be spare parts available for my T Audio.

Reactions: Sonicman

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello Mike, Why do you think the design and engineering for a turntable is trivial? You have four turntables and have owned many, many others over the years. I am sure they all sounded different, and for specific reasons. I have nowhere near your experience, but I have heard three extraordinary turntables that were so far ahead of the rest that I have heard (admittedly in different contexts) that it leaves me wondering. What is it about those three examples? Two are vintage and one contemporary but no longer really available (AS2000). They are all massive efforts, and now extremely rare and expensive.

This tells me that turntable design, at the highest levels, is a very difficult thing to do. The engineering may be easier than the design, but some tables promising to be the best new thing, come and go rather quickly, while the very best are revered for decades and become legendary. Is this not the point you are making with the Studer A-820?

Peter,

I have disassembled more than once a Studer A80. I can assure you the complexity of a top tape machine is much higher than that of a turntable.

BTW, rarity mostly means that there is no current offer, nothing else. This is an hobby of small numbers.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I dont think its fair to conclude this from some pics and a product description
I think the oil dampened springs or whatever the mechanism is looks fancy .
The proof will be in the listening and use of the TT .
They are not stupid in CH .
But greedy ! ;)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

I have disassembled more than once a Studer A80. I can assure you the complexity of a top tape machine is much higher than that of a turntable.

BTW, rarity mostly means that there is no current offer, nothing else. This is an hobby of small numbers.

Fransisco, Not all rare turn tables sound great. Nor does complexity make a turntable great. My point is quality of sound. That next level. I know two stories of friends who heard these great turntables and immediately knew. Information retrieval with natural presentation.

It seems extremely difficult to design and produce a turntable that sets or meets the highest sonic standard. I suppose it depends on what the sonic goals of the listener are.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
But greedy ! ;)
How many are they gonna sell ?? 20 - 30 - 40 ??
It costs a lot of money to design something like this from the ground up .
i doubt they will make any money / profit on it .
What it might do and is probably the reason why they make it ,is to make their other products sell better.
A statement product

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

probably the most exotic thing ever on a turntable was an off the shelf 'eddy-current' motor for the Rockport Sirius III, followed by it's controller.

it...spins.....a....platter. pretty much that's it. not saying that execution of the details can't be non-trivial. but the task is pretty basic.

i've loved me lots of turntables, but just pop the top panels off a Studer A-820 and take a look. examine the tape path engineering. many degrees of complication higher to execute properly.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
probably the most exotic thing ever on a turntable was an off the shelf 'eddy-current' motor for the Rockport Sirius III, followed by it's controller.

it...spins.....a....platter. pretty much that's it. not saying that execution of the details can't be non-trivial. but the task is pretty basic.

i've loved me lots of turntables, but just pop the top panels off a Studer A-820 and take a look. examine the tape path engineering. many degrees of complication higher to execute properly.
I am blown away by the intricacies of the analog and mechanical solutions in tapedecs before microprocessor ! :eek: The imagination they used to come up with some of the things we take fore granted in the computer age is amazing !

Reactions: microstrip

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
There are a lot of tech. companies capable of designing a state of the art tape path if they put their mind to it .
Problem is there is no money in it.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
the crazyiest thing ever seen on a turntable was denon dp 100m motor,
you can also install it in a car and drive with it;)what a monster.
Best direct drive ever? I think so d7b8955fc248cc89c4334ca4d772f0ac.jpeg 5611a6a38db9630e43e03c28349d9d29.jpg 9a4098ace03ba8fd2482306d5fd8a97a.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and rando

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing