Nagra HD Amps

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok, the wait is over
just about finishing to hook all cables
is going to be a looooong night:D
I see you own Crystal Cable Dreamline Absloute Dream \ Transparent Opus Gen5 - are you mixing Absolute Dream with Opus GenV?

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
Here a less messy one...

Attachments

• E2D32599-06FD-4828-AA86-6DB034F34F04.jpeg
    E2D32599-06FD-4828-AA86-6DB034F34F04.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 65

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
I see you own Crystal Cable Dreamline Absloute Dream \ Transparent Opus Gen5 - are you mixing Absolute Dream with Opus GenV?

ciao Micristrip,
yes. my digital and power cables are crystals. The connection cables are transparent.
To my ears the crystals were better then the xls while the power cables are just outstanding.. real game changers...
p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
ciao Micristrip,
yes. my digital and power cables are crystals. The connection cables are transparent.
To my ears the crystals were better then the xls while the power cables are just outstanding.. real game changers...
p

Thanks. Never tried the Crystal Dream digital cables, although I also found the power cables superb. Nice to see you managed to hide the Opus turtles!

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Just changed the stock tubes in my Nagra HD DAC X & HD Preamp HV to Telefunken NOS tubes. After around a hundred hours run in time, the difference in sound quality is simply staggering. Both musicality & dynamics have taken a giant step upward. I had a spare set of stock tubes (just in case) for both the DAC and the Preamp, but I have now thrown them away! After this experience, I could not possibly go back to the stock tubes. I’ll simply have to find another cache of NOS tubes in time for the next tube replacement.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just changed the stock tubes in my Nagra HD DAC X & HD Preamp HV to Telefunken NOS tubes. After around a hundred hours run in time, the difference in sound quality is simply staggering. Both musicality & dynamics have taken a giant step upward. I had a spare set of stock tubes (just in case) for both the DAC and the Preamp, but I have now thrown them away! After this experience, I could not possibly go back to the stock tubes. I’ll simply have to find another cache of NOS tubes in time for the next tube replacement.
Hi where did you get your tubes and what price? I've been thinking about doing this for my HD Pre and maybe my Classic Phono...

I would have keep those stock tubes, they are well matched and availability could be a problem one day...

Raker24

Jul 27, 2020
Since I live in Singapore, at the Silbatone dealer in the Adelphi complex. I bought the four Telefunken tubes around a year ago, so I don’t remember the exact price, but I believe that it was around one thousand Singapore dollars for the lot.

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022

Has anyone tried the NOS tubes in a Jazz or VPS?

(I am on a budget, so no Classics for me ;( )

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Has anyone tried the NOS tubes in a Jazz or VPS?

(I am on a budget, so no Classics for me ;( )
I have in my former VPS. The stock tubes are pretty darn good - they are heavily tested and specially selected. I went the Philips miniwats. I thought they were a little sweeter, more extended and more quiet with a bit better dynamics. It's worth a try, the VPS is nice for tube rolling due to small # of tubes...

Reactions: Holmz

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The Nagra supplied tubes have been well vetted. I have used NOS teles in my PL-L.. I currently use the Nagra supplied tubes as they are quiet and well balanced.

Reactions: Holmz and jfrech

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi where did you get your tubes and what price? I've been thinking about doing this for my HD Pre and maybe my Classic Phono...

I would have keep those stock tubes, they are well matched and availability could be a problem one day...
I’ve swapped the tubes in both my HD preamp and VPA’s …. NOS Tele’s and cca Mullard…. Big (in context) improvement. I have relied on Brent Jesse for years to fulfill my tube obsessions.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I’ve swapped the tubes in both my HD preamp and VPA’s …. NOS Tele’s and cca Mullard…. Big (in context) improvement. I have relied on Brent Jesse for years to fulfill my tube obsessions.
I did the same. Ecc83's Mullards in the HD, I thought it was a big improvement also. I had stock mullard ecc82s from the factory...but about 5 years of usage on them.

I got mine from Brent Jesse also...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing