Nagra HD DAC X

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Someone claimed that Nagra HD DAC X is his favorite DAC right now. It sets the reference line under his preferences of resolution, dynamics, soundstage, neutrality, transparency, midrange and bottom end.

The Nagra DAC is the only one he heard matching the best turntables.... and a lot cheaper than the overpriced MSB Select.II

He's rating:

Nagra HD DAC X - 98
MSB Select II - 95

It is not inexpensive at 65,000$

https://www.nagraaudio.com/product/hd-dac-x/

Had anyone in our forum listened to Nagra HD DAC X? View attachment 55050 33-1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeotrope

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
No but I would be interested to see if it is top notch. 65k is a lot though to spend on a technology that evolves so quickly.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
No but I would be interested to see if it is top notch. 65k is a lot though to spend on a technology that evolves so quickly.
I had tuned my Dave and Mscaler so that it does not sound hot or bright.

But it does not have analog like ease.

It is not easy to spend more than 50K$ on Dac which evolve very rapidly.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Someone claimed that Nagra HD DAC X is his favorite DAC right now. It sets the reference line under his preferences of resolution, dynamics, soundstage, neutrality, transparency, midrange and bottom end.

The Nagra DAC is the only one he heard matching the best turntables.... and a lot cheaper than the overpriced MSB Select.II

He's rating:

Nagra HD DAC X - 98
MSB Select II - 95

Had anyone in our forum listened to Nagra HD DAC X? View attachment 55050 View attachment 55051
I'm amused by your statement that the Nagra is cheaper than the overpriced MSB.

The word "cheaper" is doing some serious lifting. And you're not gonna find many people who don't believe a £65k dac is not overpriced either.

Reactions: Lagonda

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I'm amused by your statement that the Nagra is cheaper than the overpriced MSB.

The word "cheaper" is doing some serious lifting. And you're not gonna find many people who don't believe a £65k dac is not overpriced either.
That is not my statement but done by someone else from Germany.

I agree with you that 65K$ is a lot of money for Dac.

The thing is that MSB Select II may have a real contender.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Thomas, I've read a couple of comments that the ACerat Kassandra also pushes the Select 2.
I guess it would make sense to listen to as many of the top contenders as possible.

Reactions: thomask

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I am playing ripped CD of the above performance right now through Cocktail Audio X30 with internal SSD.

Violin is an Achiles' heel for digital player.

If it sounds steely, then something is wrong.

After tuning with some digital cables and use of isolation transformers, violin sounds sweet with silky upper tone through my Dave and Mscaler.

Thus I am in no rush to change my digital gear again.

Dave and Mscaler also provide 3D holographic soundstage in my listening room.

I may live with it happily for 3 years or longer.

I will try to audition other top notch Dacs just to keep abreast of digital evolution.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I would add that i think digital has a slightly more evolution pace than vinyl...

I have to agree; in the music recordings, the upsampling, the clocking, the jitter, the aliasing, the quantification and the resolution.

But turntables are also making improved steps; heavier, quieter, speed accurate, better isolation of the platter, motor and tonearm.
The recordings are more into the rediscovering of the old masters though, when they were @ their best recorded.

My opinion.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It could be my next Dac if the price go under 50k$.
Do yourself a favor and listen again to the Lampizator Pacific with different tubes ;)

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I would add that i think digital has a slightly more evolution pace than vinyl...
Nagra will update their DACs, so they stay relevant. So you send it back for updates as the tech evolves.
That said, the NAGRA DACs are the only thing I have heard that sound like vinyl. So I’m not sure how much more there is to evolve.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada

He's rating:

Nagra HD DAC X - 98
MSB Select II - 95

Had anyone in our forum listened to Nagra HD DAC X? View attachment 55050 View attachment 55051

Hi @thomask, who came up with these statements? I would like to read more reviews but have only come across one, from a Brazilian reviewer.

I find my Tube DAC seriously competitive and marginally better than my ~$40k turntable setup. So I can imagine the HD DAC X is going to be even better.
Has anyone back to back compared the HD DAC X with a Nagra IV-S reel to reel?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
J, any news on the HD Phono? Will it ever appear?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
J, any news on the HD Phono? Will it ever appear?
Hi Spirit, That was the other thing my dealer was going to Switzerland to listen to. It's apparently in a pre production state expected spring of next year. All I know is it will look like the HD Pre and HD DAC X however it is more complicated than both. This is only my guess, not a fact, but I suspect that the Classic Phono turned out so well that they had to go back and improve the HD Phono a bit.

My Classic phono was shipped with Genelex tubes (2 6922's, 1 12AX7 and 1 12AT7). I just re tubed it with Amperex Holland NOS 7308's, Philips Holland ECC81, ECC83. About 50 hours on the tubes and they are really getting special. My HD PRE has Mullard ECC88's from the factory.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing