Nagra Reference Phono Cartridge

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So my new Nagra Reference Phono cartridge arrived last week and my dealer mounted it up yesterday. I have the 6 ohm, MC-6 version. I have less than 10 hours playing time, so a ways to go on breaking in and fine tuning. It's a quite a cartridge however, the clarity is pretty sweet already.

I also have a Allaerts MC2 Formula 1 and a ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement for comparison.

More comments to come. I can say, if you have a chance to hear this cartridge or you're in the market for a top tier cartridge, make sure this one is on your short list.

IMG_1997.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I am playing around with various loading options. I have about ~10 hours playing time on it now, it's beginning to open up and relax some..

The clarity is impressive right off the bat...
1677254908417.jpeg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations!
What is the expected break-in time?
This cartridge has changed very little. I'd over the first 10 hours it relaxed some. It just sounds wonderful. Amazing clarity, drive, very even handed up and down the frequency range. Deeply engaging. I have about 60 hours on mine. I am so happy I purchased this.

Reactions: tima and Zeotrope

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Its indeed a fantastic cartridge, maybe the best actually; Nagra recommends a loading setting between 100 and 300 ohms: which one seem the best one for you?

Reactions: Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Its indeed a fantastic cartridge, maybe the best actually; Nagra recommends a loading setting between 100 and 300 ohms: which one seem the best one for you?
I am quickly coming to a similar conclusion. The Nagra cart is my favorite. Others can do differing things, but not sure one can say better. It's a complete package sonically, in the very very top tier. I tried 100, 180, 320 and preferred 180 the best on my Nagra Classic Phono...

Reactions: tima and Zeotrope

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Thank you; the new Nagra HD pre phono should be available soon. Could nicely complete your Nagra set...maybe?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Oh yes. I have been pining for the HD Phono for quite awhile. I suspect it is coming out soon finally, maybe they'll launch it at the Munich show?

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
If my information is right ( I think it is) , yes it should be available after Munich High End, probably at the same price that the HD pre...

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Was the HD Phono at last week’s Montreal show?
I will ask Rene, he is coming over to my place next week with a special item (but not the HD Phono)… ;)
My guess is also around $50k, or around 2X the price of the Classic Phono, but this is just my own guess…

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I don’t think it is. On the picture @jfrech shared a couple of posts earlier I spotted a signature. If I’m not mistaken it’s Micha Huber’s. I think I have seen that signature many times on EMT cartridges.
I think it is EMT. Built to specs that Nagra states. A few of the EMT's seem to share the Saphire/Titanium cantilever the Nagra uses...

Reactions: mtemur

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Stereophile just quoted the HD Phono price, and it’s the same as the HD DAC X.
(keep in mind this is in CAD, not USD)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Stereophile just quoted the HD Phono price, and it’s the same as the HD DAC X.
(keep in mind this is in CAD, not USD)
Oh wow, I just about freaked out seeing the pricing...but now see the CAD vs USD. Not that I like the USD either :). I am very curious about the HD phono...

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Stereophile write : Nagra HD DAC X, and it seems that its Phono Classic on picture, so?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Stereophile write : Nagra HD DAC X, and it seems that its Phono Classic on picture, so?
HI and Yes, they didn't show the HD Phono at that event...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing