NAT Magma New HPS

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just noticed that the NAT website is showing a new version of the Magma New SET amplifier. The prior version was the Magma New SE. The new version is the Magma New HPS.

5A7DBC6B-4612-453F-A76A-D1E004490254.jpeg

Is anyone familiar with this new model?

What has Dejan improved upon to create the new HPS model?

Last edited:
Reactions: Golum and morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I just noticed that the NAT website is showing a new version of the Magma New SET amplifier. The prior version was the Magma New SE. The new version is the Magma New HPS.

View attachment 99378

Is anyone familiar with this new model?

What has Dejan improved upon to create the new HPS model?
This HPS stands for "Hybrid Power Supply" but I am unclear what NAT means by this. They use the same name for the Single integrated amp (a rather beastly GM70 based integrated).

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
This HPS stands for "Hybrid Power Supply" but I am unclear what NAT means by this. They use the same name for the Single integrated amp (a rather beastly GM70 based integrated).
I don't know but wonder if they're using some sort of DC switching supply. I see no sign of what would need to be massive caps in a traditional power supply given that this tube could swing over 3 kV if operated in Class A2. Big big voltages here, all in a relatively tiny chassis.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
A monster filament 17 volt dc 16- 18ampere = 300watt heating i think they do it with switching power supply. a transformer of that size doesn't fit in there;)
Arround ~2.5 kv anode voltage idle current 300mA max 5kv 1 kilowatt output power.
PWL does too years ago

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing