Nearfield listening at my desk (recommendations please)

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Any recommendations for speakers for near field listening at my desk? Budget under $5000. Was thinking of maybe just grabbing an LS50 but I suppose there are better options ? Prefer passive (want to use my pass labs amp) but not against active.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I have the same problem although im not gonna go expensive .
I finally succumbed unwillingly more or less to the WFH situation ( i still do travel for tech. assistance world wide ).
I bought a new desk / massage office seat / 4 K 32 inch monitor , i still need speakers .
I would design my own off course and if not i d go wilson audio Tiny Tot , but i must say those cessaro s look really cool too .
From a practical standpoint i ll go for transportable JBL bluetooth speakers probably.
Otherwise a pair of Avalon studiomonitors , Dynaudio also makes good stuff

Attachments

• Tiny tot .jpg
    Tiny tot .jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Thanks guys, will look into those.

Also ATC SCM7, 11, 12 could be options. Also proac tablette 10 signature.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Have a pair of these on my desktop

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I have a pair of Audience 1+1's on my desk. Just superb and a few reviews that agree. I'm driving them with a Hegel H80S and am using a Meridian Explorer2 DAC and a Rel Tzero sub, all under my desk. Probably overkill for a desktop system but I love it.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

T. A. E. Brown

May 12, 2021
Thanks dudes I ended up with SCM7s will let you know how it sounds after I set it up.
Please don't forget to report back. I'm considering the SCM11's but, assuming all the speakers in ATC's Entry line are comparable, your experience with the SCM7's may be useful information.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Have you considered headphones. They are less expensive, comfortable and private.

Reactions: christoph

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Pass X350.8.

Yup I got HD800S and ZMF Atticus, but vastly prefer nearfield for bigger and more convincing imaging + soundstage.
Pass X350.8.

Yup I got HD800S and ZMF Atticus, but vastly prefer nearfield for bigger and more convincing imaging + soundstage.
Keep an eye out for my review of the iFi diablo.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I have been using these Evolution Acoustics MMicro speakers on dedicated stands in my office setup for several years.
Incredible imaging and solid bass - best nearfield speakers I have ever heard!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing