Need advice on SDR-1OOO

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

I have a very good relationship with my dealer ( bought my 2 DMA200's from them ) so was pleasantly surprised when he offered me a mint looking SDR-1000 cd/pre for free....but.....

Here's the catch...

About 5 years ago, the original owner had asked for new belts. He sent the 1000 to a repair shop that was't for Spectal autherized repairs. When they got the 1000 back, it started to lose the sound conection even though it showed on the display that it was reading the disc, so the owner traded for a BAT unit and the dealer set this on the office shelf and remained there, till today. The 1000 still reads the discs but there is no sound and the other conections on the Pre work fine!

I'm hoping that it maybe an easy fix, but not sure where to send it as I'm positive Spectral will not touch it ( after another repair shop worked on it )

Also, can anyone tell me if the unit is worth repairing ( not sure what they are worth now or even what they were worth new! ), as I've never heard the cd unit. I know this is an older pre, but it seems to have a good sound to it ( plan on running a Y splitter on the outputs for my 2 200's )

Thanks

Mike

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
Hi

Funny, I can hardly find any information on this unit, just what's on the Spectral site, but, nothing online or any who has a manual.......I know Spectral is made in limited supplies but trying to find manuals and information on some older models is like catching a Unicorn!!
Even my dealer, who use to sell Spectral can't help me....lol

Mike

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi

Funny, I can hardly find any information on this unit, just what's on the Spectral site, but, nothing online or any who has a manual.......I know Spectral is made in limited supplies but trying to find manuals and information on some older models is like catching a Unicorn!!
Even my dealer, who use to sell Spectral can't help me....lol

Mike

What I find amazing Mike is that many other manufacturers have scanned in their old owners manuals and made PDF files of them; all someone needs to do is call and they can email the manual to them.

msm_1

Jun 20, 2010
What I find amazing Mike is that many other manufacturers have scanned in their old owners manuals and made PDF files of them; all someone needs to do is call and they can email the manual to them.

Hi, Amazingly I did try unsuccessful to get maual but I did get a brouchre ( not much huip either ). However a friend from annother forum help

Thanks Agin Mike

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi msm_1,

I suppose it is worth repairing if you like the way it sounds. Those filters really make cd very listenable.

I speculate the repair shop touched more than the belt. I am certain the Spectral factory will not touch it. I have first hand experience sending the factory a Spectral dac that had been previously repaired elsewhere.

I also experienced some problem with the SDR 1000 belt when I had one. I substituted the belt with dental floss and it worked fine.

unmesch23

Oct 3, 2022
Hi

I have a very good relationship with my dealer ( bought my 2 DMA200's from them ) so was pleasantly surprised when he offered me a mint looking SDR-1000 cd/pre for free....but.....

Here's the catch...

About 5 years ago, the original owner had asked for new belts. He sent the 1000 to a repair shop that was't for Spectal autherized repairs. When they got the 1000 back, it started to lose the sound conection even though it showed on the display that it was reading the disc, so the owner traded for a BAT unit and the dealer set this on the office shelf and remained there, till today. The 1000 still reads the discs but there is no sound and the other conections on the Pre work fine!

I'm hoping that it maybe an easy fix, but not sure where to send it as I'm positive Spectral will not touch it ( after another repair shop worked on it )

Also, can anyone tell me if the unit is worth repairing ( not sure what they are worth now or even what they were worth new! ), as I've never heard the cd unit. I know this is an older pre, but it seems to have a good sound to it ( plan on running a Y splitter on the outputs for my 2 200's )

Thanks

Mike
Hello,
Did you manage to fix CD sound output issue? I am also facing similar problem. My CD is reading but no sound output, however external source connected works perfectly. Any solution to fix this issue?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing