Need help to choose budget subwoofer

Mozca

Jul 23, 2021
I have a pair of KRK Rokit 8G2 and i am looking for a subwoofer around 200Euro
I had a KRK 10S2 but it is damaged and not reparable.
I know that i cannot get a good subwoofer with this price but...just need to improve LF on the system that I use for listening dancemusic in 30m2 room.
Any idea about these:
- Polk Audio PSW10E - 190Eu
- Presonus Eris Sub8 - 200E
- Samson MediaOne 10S - 210E
- ESI Aktiv 10S - 210E
- Fame Audio Pro Series RPM 10S - 185E

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
Accordingl to specs your speakers hit -1.5dB at 45Hz (not bad at all!), so ideally you need a subwoofer that can go lower than, say, ¬50Hz.
If I'm not mistaken, none of the subs you mentioned manage that.

IMO, going used is a very good option! Good luck

Mozca

Jul 23, 2021
Accordingl to specs your speakers hit -1.5dB at 45Hz (not bad at all!), so ideally you need a subwoofer that can go lower than, say, ¬50Hz.

Well, I believe by taking some of the load off the speakers I will clear up the mid range and improve sound quality, meaning, set the crossover a little above the 45Hz...I am not an expert anyway.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Mozca! Hoe gat het?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I looked up the first few. The Polk goes down to 40 Hz, the Samson to 35 Hz. Anyway, sub bass is different from main speaker bass. Speaker bass specs often don't say anything; some speakers that are specified to 20 Hz have no in-room deep bass.

For sub bass that feels deep you don't need 20 Hz. My JL Audio subs are set to employ extreme low frequency cut-off, being about -13 dB down at 24 Hz, for reasons of room overload. Nonetheless they are able to produce floor shaking deep bass when required (genre "electronica" for example), bass that hardly any "full range" speaker can rival. I find the term "full range speaker" a joke in most cases anyway. Rarely is a main speaker full range.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing