Need help with Jeff Rowland 201 monoblocks triggers

PanheadXR290

Feb 12, 2019
Hi folks,I've been into our hobby for 30 years ,the bulk of my years were spent running McIntosh and Krell gear until I recently heard ,then immediately fell in love with Rowland model 201 monoblocks of which I bought 3 with the option to buy 2 more tomorrow ,however ,I'm having a big problem getting the Rowland trigger to interface with the triggers on my McIntosh C-2500 tube preamp ,the Mc-1201 monoblocks ,the MCD-550 SACD/CD/Preamp and Mc-300 amp ,I've used the exact same trigger cords for my Emotiva XPR-1 Monoblocks and litteraly dozens of pieces of McIntosh gear without a hitch ,until now ,I have 3 of the 201s with a chance to buy another pair of those beauties tomorrow but I've gotta figure out this trigger system being incompatible before I get in any deeper ,any thoughts or pics of the exact cables I need to make the Rowland's turn in with the McIntosh trigger would be a massive help ,thanks guys .

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Congrats on the new find. Class D has gotten incredibly good. The question is very specific so I'd go to the manufacturer to get an answer.

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
I believe the normal home theater processor triggers supply 12V to turn on associated amps. And i think Jeff did this trigger differently. I think it takes a short to turn it on. If you have a spare 2 conductor 1/8” mini plug, you can check by shorting the 2 conductors. I had to deal with this situation with an Integra Pre-pro a decade or more ago. i think I had to use a cheap 12v relay,with the pre-pro trigger on the coil, and the 1/8 mini conductors on the Normally open contacts.

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
Here is the answer I got: If the jack is shorted, which means 0 volts, then the amp is in standby. If it is open or has 12 volts it will be on. So yes, the standby state would be 0 volts or shorted. The jack is normally high, or 12 volts.
So, since most pre-pros supply 12V on turn-on, you could use the “hot” pin to the coil of a relay, with ground on the other end of the coil. 201 trigger “hot” to the N.C. Contact, and ground the relay source.
Then again, the 201s are so efficient that you can just leave them on since they draw so little current.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing