Need some advice using KAV 250p and KSA 200s

Patrick C.

Dec 23, 2019
My friend recently gave me a pair of matrix 800 speakers with a krell KAV 250p pre amp and KSA 200s amplifier
Everything is hooked up like it was except now I'm wondering if I run audio cables straight from the TV to the preamp..i am lost now
Do I need a digital to analog converter or any other equipement to get this stuff running?
Using 15amp surger protectors at the moment till i get battery backup repaired.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Patrick if you are using your TV's onboard tuner and it has audio outputs you may connect directly to your preamp. Just be careful and form the habit of lowering the volume of your TV before turning it off because now you have two remotes, one for the TV and one for the Pre.

If you are using a set top box from a cable provider, these commonly come with Toslink digital outputs along with the usual RCA outputs. In this case you will need a DAC with a Toslink input should you choose to use it instead of the analog RCA out.

Lastly I recommend that you run your KSA 200 directly into the wall if you are unsure if your battery back ups and surge protectors are rated for the amp's consumption.

Hope this helps.

Patrick C.

Dec 23, 2019
Hi Patrick if you are using your TV's onboard tuner and it has audio outputs you may connect directly to your preamp. Just be careful and form the habit of lowering the volume of your TV before turning it off because now you have two remotes, one for the TV and one for the Pre.

If you are using a set top box from a cable provider, these commonly come with Toslink digital outputs along with the usual RCA outputs. In this case you will need a DAC with a Toslink input should you choose to use it instead of the analog RCA out.

Lastly I recommend that you run your KSA 200 directly into the wall if you are unsure if your battery back ups and surge protectors are rated for the amp's consumption.

Hope this helps.
Very much appreciated Jack! Hopefully I'll have it running today
Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing