Need some Lampi help please

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Because you will never understand then what your Lampi can achieve. Just like you wouldn't know what your spreakers are capable of until you heard them with various amps. Or what your TT is capable of until you listen to it with different combinations of carts and arms and phonos. Of course, certain things are difficult to change, such as changing your room for your speakers. But optimizjng a Lampi is one of the easiest things you can do due to the space and budget required. But you have to know first what are the different sonic levels it can achieve based on matching of valves and downstream electronics.

So when I say that I like Tak 300Bs better than PX25s I am wrong?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty , is it the Halo-lll Stabilizer model that you are referring to ?

I use the Halo III (55mm) on the RK KR 5U4G. That is the one that Herbie recommended for a "square" tube such as that particular rectifier. On all other tubes that are bulb-shaped, the Ultrasonic Rx is what I use, again, only because of Herbie's recommendation.

I've been asked "what" and "how many" but I honestly didn't take the time to do a deep dive until recently when I finally spent some time playing with the damping rings on the Lampi.

For the output tubes, Leif's configuration was the best I found for the 242-. I use 3 Ultrasonic Rx rings; one 35mm at the top, 1 50mm around the fattest part, 1 35mm at the base, but I place the base ring at the intersection of the glass tube and the plastic base. Kind of a "twofer" in that spot. I was impressed by the addition of the top ring on the 242. Unmistakable improvement.

For the 5U4G, I'm still testing but so far, I like 2 rings. One HAL-O III 55 mm around the middle and 1 Ultrasonic Rx 35mm around the base/glass interface.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
They sound boring. Probably the most boring

I always viewed 300B as mid-centric and predictable, but engaging. Can you elaborate why to you they sound boring? Or could you point me to a specific thread which would list differences vs other tubes in Lampi DACs?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But of course :cool:

Many thanks, that's very useful!

There are hundreds of posts done over the past few years. To summarize, the 242 sounds best but often does not sound right due to mismatch with downstream electronics. It is a fussy tube. So you need a couple of backups, PX25 and Lampi.45s are the best of those. Of which Lampi 45 is no longer made. You can always try PX4, 300b, normal 45s, 101d for fun.

Reactions: Golum and iain

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just because KR RK 300B wasn't great doesn't mean some other 300Bs won't be OK or better, I would say.

The new WE reissue will be interesting. Possibly. Maybe. When it materialises.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Such as the Tak 300Bs which are excellent in my Big 7.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just because KR RK 300B wasn't great doesn't mean some other 300Bs won't be OK or better, I would say.

The new WE reissue will be interesting. Possibly. Maybe. When it materialises.

I have tried KR, RK, JJ, Sylvania, elrog, Tak 300b in the Lampi. And the previous WE reissues as well as Greg's originals. And in amps. The one place the previous WE reissues sounded good were the amps of UK manufacturer art audio who has voiced them with it

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
I have tried KR, RK, JJ, Sylvania, elrog, Tak 300b in the Lampi. And the previous WE reissues as well as Greg's originals. And in amps. The one place the previous WE reissues sounded good were the amps of UK manufacturer art audio who has voiced them with it

Can anyone spot the mistake in this post?

First to answer correctly wins cred points. Including Ked.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

You know that there were WE reissues in the 90s? And now there are some new WE reissues coming up?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Actually, the Sylvania were 6a3 not 300b. I was thinking of Sophia 300b not Sylvania. Those were the ones Grant on this forum used with apogee duetta.

EscritorJuan

Jan 21, 2020
My Lampizator Lite 7 DAC, which is currently being upgraded to a Big 7 Mk2, did native DSD up to 128. Perhaps you should reach out to Lukasz Fikus or, if you're in the U.S., Fred Ainsley.

Good luck with your new DAC!

Best,

Juan

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So does it not beg the question- is it great because of the conversion software or because of the tubes? I have only heard theAnber3. Which is excellent by the way.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Yes but you have not compared all the valves. No offence but I think someone who likes Tak likes midrange bloom and forward color, a fake density, to the sound. I have never heard it sound otherwise, whether in a Lampi or in an amp (I do appreciate different valves can sound different in different Lampi set ups, but this one has been consistent. At least Elrog 300b is now transparent to recordings in amps, though I never liked it in Lampi either)
The exception will be the Acme 300bs. The Elrogs were woolly at best in the DAC, a far cry from how they sound in an amp. Tak 300bs, although I've never heard them, have a reputation of being more linear and hence their synergy with their more midcentric 274b rectifier. I also found the rectifier to be quite additive in my system but did love it's scale of both soundstage and images and its outstanding layering. I can see how one could voice a system to complement these traits.

I'm hoping that others will give the Acme 300b a shot. It's amazing in my Golden Gate. It marries the strengths of the 242 and PX25 with 300b sensibilities. It's in full control at all times yet it has a way of allowing notes and their decay to still float around to fruition.

I'm excited to receive my Tesla AD1n but I'm still a little skeptical it will dethrone the Acme. Yet I want it to because it means I have better sound, and I can keep the Acmes as a spare to the Acmes in my amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing