Neil Peart Dead at 67

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Al, it was part of a story relaying the deep respect many more revered and appreciated musicians had for Rush. It seems like Tony was pretty bored listening to standard rock, pop, and also jazz. The host spun the Rush cd w Limelight on it, and despite Tony saying it wasn't music he normally would choose to listen to, he totally approved of and was entertained by Rush's deft ability to mix technical chops, odd time signatures, and the song not being subservient to the technique.

Indeed Rush's greatest artistic and commercial statement, Moving Pictures, could have been the passport for the band to parody themselves. The fact that is was a spur for them to push their compositional and songwriting evolution, proves their restless spirit.

And that's why we Rush-sters love the band, they pushed and pushed w zero help from the music media or taste meisters. Rolling Stone magazine editorial policy being the most infamous example.

Reactions: Al M.

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Bought Hemispheres when it came out and been a big admirer and fan since, an amazing band and especially for a 3 piece, and as a drummer, well we all know that needs no explanation....RIP Neil Peart....thank you for many many hours of joy and emotion

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
RG, they don't make 'em like this anymore. I'm hugely enjoying the new Tool album, and can absolutely hear the direct lineage of Rush. As one can hear The Who and Zep in early Rush.

About to order Rush official touring history anthology "Wandering The Face Of The Earth". Rush did not stop touring btwn 1974-79. Especially the first 3 albums. It seems Rush were not just warm up act only in the early days, but played WITH their more famous headliners. The rapport w Kiss, Rory Gallagher and Thin Lizzy, amongst others, is legendary.

And Rush would go from 20k crowds w Kiss to the next day...high school halls and gyms! Who does that now?! Noone.

As someone has commented, the Rush work ethic was insane. They built their fanbase, one fan at a time.

And then they released "2112"...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
One of my favorite interviews with Neal was when he was asked if he had and regrets. He said his only regrets was making the drum beats to the songs so difficult. He said is proudest moments on tour was when he played the drums to Tom Sawyer perfectly because it was so rare.

How often do we see that level of humility in a rock star?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
One of my favorite interviews with Neal was when he was asked if he had and regrets. He said his only regrets was making the drum beats to the songs so difficult. He said is proudest moments on tour was when he played the drums to Tom Sawyer perfectly because it was so rare.

The humility of a true musician. I once attended a concert of contemporary classical music in Boston where they played an exciting, yet fiendishly difficult to play -- also rhythmically--, piece by Fausto Romitelli, "Professor Bad Trip". When afterwards I congratulated some musicians on their impressive playing, they basically shrug their shoulders and said, "we're just musicians".

Reactions: jeff1225

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Jeffrey, I think Tom Sawyer is one of those songs he felt he could hardly ever nail as perfectly as he would want.

That's the problem w perfect songs. They're perfect and demand perfection Lol.

This track necessitates a totally metronomic 8th note driven groove w that galloping 7/8 jazzy breakdown, and Neil's justly famous "song within a song" solo workout.

In the pantheon of all-time great rock drum performances, right up there. And WHAT lyrics! Spoke directly to me. My 17 yr old self got a new feel for the world after hearing the words and performance on this song.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The humility of a true musician. I once attended a concert of contemporary classical music in Boston where they played an exciting, yet fiendishly difficult to play -- also rhythmically--, piece by Fausto Romitelli, "Professor Bad Trip". When afterwards I congratulated some musicians on their impressive playing, they basically shrug their shoulders and said, "we're just musicians".
Al, that's why we love musicians. The ego serves the music. Even the most God given talented giants feel they are nothing special, they're just servants to the music.

John Coltrane (in my humble opinion, the single biggest piece of evidence pointing to the possible existence of a higher power) remained totally humble up until his passing. He always claimed he was like everyone else, but music worked thru him, and his only obligation was to practice practice PRACTICE until the lines of communication were as clear as possible.

Neil's attitude chimed totally w this.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You are a big Rush' fan Marc?
I think Mike is also...Ferrari Mike.
Can you tell? Lol. I don't think a day has gone by in the last four decades where I haven't daydreamed Rush or air drummed to Neil. His music is w me always. I still play drums (own a 1960s Gretsch Roundbadge kit), and despite knowing that maybe "greater" drummers exist in the forms of Buddy Rich, Tony Williams, Bill Bruford, John Bonham etc, Neil in his unique synthesis of shy/extrovert personality, driven perfectionism, philisophical rigour, and gentle steeliness, maybe has the greatest balance. His approach to the drums, Rush's overall musical integrity in the face of decades of media hostility, and his take on life instrumental in me leaving certain beliefs behind, I've always felt closer to him than any other artist. I'm still shaken, and can't comprehend this illness taking him from us.

Its so like Neil that news of him being ill never leaked. He would never have wanted sympathy from the fans. He was off duty, and his own person. Right now, if he could talk to me, he'd ask me to shut this thread down. Really.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've been reading obituaries and tributes to Neil. It's actually hugely emotional reading them. I knew Neil was respected, but it looks like he was revered and loved by so many fellow musicians and of course the fans.

Despite me welling up regularly, this fills me w real positivity. Neil would be chuffed to know he truly inspired so many.

And it's so uplifting to see the bonds of friendship that have existed in Rush for 45 years. Just what other bands can really boast that? I can only think of one that is 100% positive.

I really feel like a light has gone out, but the illumination from the love for Neil is so positive.

Who'd have guessed a hugely shy Canadian playing in a terminally unfashionable genre, could generate such affection from so many?

Reactions: Al M. and NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Can you tell? Lol. I don't think a day has gone by in the last four decades where I haven't daydreamed Rush or air drummed to Neil. His music is w me always. I still play drums (own a 1960s Gretsch Roundbadge kit), and despite knowing that maybe "greater" drummers exist in the forms of Buddy Rich, Tony Williams, Bill Bruford, John Bonham etc, Neil in his unique synthesis of shy/extrovert personality, driven perfectionism, philisophical rigour, and gentle steeliness, maybe has the greatest balance. His approach to the drums, Rush's overall musical integrity in the face of decades of media hostility, and his take on life instrumental in me leaving certain beliefs behind, I've always felt closer to him than any other artist. I'm still shaken, and can't comprehend this illness taking him from us.

Its so like Neil that news of him being ill never leaked. He would never have wanted sympathy from the fans. He was off duty, and his own person. Right now, if he could talk to me, he'd ask me to shut this thread down. Really.

You speak directly from the passionate soul, beyond the music, beyond the man, beyond the legend, above the heartbeats from the gates of wisdom.
Neil is the flying zeppelin skating on icicles of frozen clouds in time ... R.I.P.

Because drum matters

Reactions: dan31

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Joe, where do you wanna start Lol.
I actually preferred his Tama and Ludwig kits. Double bass drums, and tuned percussion, no electronics.

I'm old skool when it comes to drums.

But who am I to disagree w The Professor?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You speak directly from the passionate soul, beyond the music, beyond the man, beyond the legend, above the heartbeats from the gates of wisdom.
Neil is the flying zeppelin skating on icicles of frozen clouds in time ... R.I.P.

NS, I'm guilty of the very thing Neil railed against, fans thinking they know their idols. But he's been the closest thing to a kind of spiritual teacher that I can pinpoint, his lyrics speak to me way more than others, and he is the model of perfection I looked up to.

So, yes, if not a soulmate has passed, then a spirit guide. His attitudes certainly informed mine as I moved to a more libertarian mindset. Yet his self reliant messages were always laced w seeing the other POV, understanding, and a warmth that could easily have been missing.

The drumming was just the fatal attraction.

Reactions: NorthStar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gonna rock out to Exit...Stage Left and Different Stages for the next few hours. Anyone wanting to know what the buzz on Neil is, get out these lps, cds or Tidal/Qobuz streams, put aside any natural Rush related disinclinations, and just roll with it all.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

“I can worship Nature, and that fulfills my need for miracles and beauty. Art gives a spiritual depth to existence -- I can find worlds bigger and deeper than my own in music, paintings, and books. And from my friends and family I receive the highest benediction, emotional contact, and personal affirmation. I can bow before the works of Man, from buildings to babies, and that fulfills my need for wonder. I can believe in the sanctity of Life, and that becomes the Revealed Word, to live my life as I believe it should be, not as I'm told to by self-appointed guides.”
? Neil Peart, The Masked Rider: Cycling in West Africa

Reactions: morricab and dan31

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bob, I think you would have on just fine w Neil. You're both pretty deep, zen individuals, and I think you'd have recognised that in each other.

Me? I'm a bit more angst driven. I'm sure Neil would tell me to stop looking at the ground and up a bit more.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I was greatly saddened to hear of the passing of Neil and to celebrate him and Rush I listened to 2112 last night. I did get to see them in 1986 when I was a young lad. IMG_5329.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing