New .7 Arrived This Morning

arftech

Dec 12, 2014
On a Sunday my dealer delivered some new Maggie’s to me and set them up. Exceptional service! I’m currently experimenting with placement but I gotta say they sound like nothing I ever had before. Of course in a good way. If you don’t mind me asking what is the break in time for these?

Attachments

• 954C79EC-A46E-43AF-9FF1-AB75AC4CE2D8.jpeg
    954C79EC-A46E-43AF-9FF1-AB75AC4CE2D8.jpeg
    797.7 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations!

Reactions: arftech

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
On a Sunday my dealer delivered some new Maggie’s to me and set them up. Exceptional service! I’m currently experimenting with placement but I gotta say they sound like nothing I ever had before. Of course in a good way. If you don’t mind me asking what is the break in time for these?
Congratulation. Give them 300-400 hours of playing time at normal listening levels.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I have never measured the newer "quasi-ribbon" versions but they should break in faster than the original models. The older models like my MG-IIIa's, as well as the 20.x and Tympani IV models, required a few hours for the bass response to settle down to very close to its final value (about a 5 Hz drop in the -3 dB point of the bass panel). About 10 hours should do it; after that, it is more likely your ears "breaking in" to the speakers. The large diaphragm does take hours instead of minutes that most conventional speakers require, and the lack of a box makes them a bit more sensitive to changing parameters during break-in.

Be prepared to spend some time fiddling with placement. Depending on what is behind them, the sound can change dramatically with small changes in distance from the wall behind, toe-in, and listening distance. You might also try sitting very close, at perhaps 50% to 75% of the distance between them, to see if you like the "near field presence" effect.

FWIWFM - Don

Reactions: arftech and HughP3

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Congratulations, Maggies are one of my all time favorites. Completely agree on placement, mine took a lot of experimentation. I had 20.7, break in had a huge impact.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Everything benefits from breakin/ warmup
You probably know the good news is the Maggie's sounds great right out of the box. Even better you can grow your system around them.
Congratulations ! Enjoy the music.

Reactions: paolo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing