New AC lines to be installed

WeatherB

Mar 18, 2017
Nashville
Tomorrow, an electrician is going to provide an estimate on installing dedicated AC lines for my system.

This is on the second floor of my house, so I'm probably going to need a secondary box.
I'm envisioning the following:

1) 3 dedicated 20 amp lines. (one for the amp, one for analog, one for digital.)
2) Using Furutech outlets for each
3) 10 gauge wiring (perhaps the JPS Labs in-wall cabling)

Near future upgrades may include
1) Furutech Flux 50 NCF in-line filters for each component
2) Torus Power Transformer(s)

But I'm not at all certain about grounding (star or not to star, for example), breaker switches, phase, should other outlets in the room be located on the same panel, etc.
Any input would most be appreciated.

-Bruce

PS:
Though the estimate will be after tomorrow's meeting, I would like the install to be around the 1st of the month. This gives me enough time to purchase the above gear.

BTW, I told him that it was for a home theater system, not a stereo. He didn't bat an eye. ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations on embarking upon this exciting project!

The Torus devices which offer both isolation transformer as well as balanced power require 240 VAC.

Reactions: WeatherB

WeatherB

Mar 18, 2017
Nashville
Thanks, Ron.

I did not know the Torus require 240 VAC. I think it may be against city or state code here, if that is the case. Hmmm.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Have him run a 120V feeder to a central location in or near the audio room. Then a small breaker box for the 3 breakers.
One size larger cables are always good.
If you are going to use a large isolation transformer (wired as a Separately Derived System) then make it a 240V feeder, but only use one leg for now.
Note that a large isolation transformer is almost as good as a large balanced transformer. But at less cost, and none of the difficult NEC rules to deal with.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thanks, Ron.

I did not know the Torus require 240 VAC. I think it may be against city or state code here, if that is the case. Hmmm.

It depends on what you want. The Tourus devices which are merely isolation transformers do not require 240 VAC.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
It's not a bad idea to do what Speedskater is saying. The problem is that unless your equipment uses purely true XLR balanced interconnects, you will form loops back to the main panel by having separate lines. They are often somewhat negligible, or maybe slightly preferred. So the benefit of separate lines has a lot to do with not mixing complex impedance disturbances. But sometimes it makes them even worse because of the distances. This is why I made my Lillies, because it reduces these problems. With them I actually think separate lines makes a lot more sense.

Long ground lines from equipment with SE interconnects simply increases loop size. ALL, and I do mean ALL SE equipment has minor loops. They're minor, but exist. They exist more the longer they are (longer distances between ground ties). The loops go between equipment like IC's, but over the power cables.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
As 'Folsom' just pointed out. Short AC cords & cables from hi-fi component to component means short Safety Ground conductors with the attendant low end-to-end resistance and small ground loop area.
Only large home theater or huge power amps need more than one 20 Amp circuit.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I have Torus AVR30EU on a dedicated line direct from the pole. It has 30amp capacity. So a classic schuko receptacle and electrical cabling does not cut it. I had thicker gauge cables to be able to feed its 32a hubbell receptacle. This made the background much blacker than before and I am quite happy with it. Keep in mind my speakers are 109db efficient so I am very sensitive to background noise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing