New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I really thought the C's hit the wall in this game. Good comeback to hang on.

Same here, I stopped watching at the 2nd Q, and peeked at the net for scores and found out that they were up by 1 at the fourth. Larkin came through, small guy with a big heart. How in the world did Ainge find him?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Amazing result again, C's win over Toronto puts the streak at 12. Nets next, and then, the Warriors come to town. No Irving today, I heard he's shopping for a good face mask for his return. Horford back and did very well, but my surprise so far has been the rookie Tatum. I never thought that he would be this NBA-ready. He can rebound, box out, almost with instincts of a veteran rebounder, and has a solid, blow by drive in move aside from good perimeter and 3 point shots. What else can a coach ask for? And oh, I read too his defensive rating is pretty good. So hope we beat the Nets, and ehem, the Warriors, for 14. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'll root for the Celtics against the Warriors. I root for ABW (Anybody But Warriors) :)

Good to have you on our boat. :D Hopefully, Kyrie will have found his sturdy mask and play.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Amazing result again, C's win over Toronto puts the streak at 12. Nets next, and then, the Warriors come to town. No Irving today, I heard he's shopping for a good face mask for his return. Horford back and did very well, but my surprise so far has been the rookie Tatum. I never thought that he would be this NBA-ready. He can rebound, box out, almost with instincts of a veteran rebounder, and has a solid, blow by drive in move aside from good perimeter and 3 point shots. What else can a coach ask for? And oh, I read too his defensive rating is pretty good. So hope we beat the Nets, and ehem, the Warriors, for 14. :D

How smart and lucky is Ainge? That last second trade gets him an NBA ready Tatum and the 76ers get an injured Fultz. Somebody found a four leaf clover.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How smart and lucky is Ainge? That last second trade gets him an NBA ready Tatum and the 76ers get an injured Fultz. Somebody found a four leaf clover.

Exactly right. Overheard from a Celtics forum: I never liked the pre season trades Danny did, but after seeing Tatum play, I'm going to trust Danny blindly. LOL
And I feel Red's spirit is behind Danny too. :)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Exactly right. Overheard from a Celtics forum: I never liked the pre season trades Danny did, but after seeing Tatum play, I'm going to trust Danny blindly. LOL
And I feel Red's spirit is behind Danny too. :)
You can't see Red lookin over his shoulder

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You can't see Red lookin over his shoulder

The last time I saw Red over anyone's shoulder was behind Paul Pierce's foul shot in a playoff or was it the Finals? That shot went high up after hitting the back of the rim, and popped right back in the hoop. Tip in by Red. :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

And the smart part of that deal, ala Red trading the 1st pick for the 3rd, was that Ainge got another fresh first round pick aside from Tatum for Fultz, could be Lakers' or Kings first round pick. And in trading 'old' KG, Pierce, and Jason Terry (who is still playing for the Bucks and really old), Ainge applied the lesson learned when he said Red should have traded Bird and McHale while they still had value. Ainge got Rosier, Brown and Tatum for those oldies, not to mention the blue chip last Nets pick they gave to the Cavs in a package to get Kyrie. Smart, smart move.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I'll root for the Celtics against the Warriors. I root for ABW (Anybody But Warriors) :)

Sorry for my naive and maybe uninformed question (I'm from Europe):
Why not the Warriors?
I find the Warriors very sympathetic with superstars like KD relinquishing several millions of his salary to give the team/employer more possibilities for other players.

For me it's ABLBJ :p

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
And the smart part of that deal, ala Red trading the 1st pick for the 3rd, was that Ainge got another fresh first round pick aside from Tatum for Fultz, could be Lakers' or Kings first round pick. And in trading 'old' KG, Pierce, and Jason Terry (who is still playing for the Bucks and really old), Ainge applied the lesson learned when he said Red should have traded Bird and McHale while they still had value. Ainge got Rosier, Brown and Tatum for those oldies, not to mention the blue chip last Nets pick they gave to the Cavs in a package to get Kyrie. Smart, smart move.

Those were the kind of deals only the Lakers would make ... when they had the functional Kupchak + West + Real Buss trio ... Now with Jeanie and whomever passes for GM at the helm .. they are lucky to have an adequate core of young players who may or may not be up to the hype ..
For my part and for the life of me I couldn't fathom what was NOT anything but astronomically brilliant in the Kyrie Irving trade!! The guy is playing DEFENSE now! :).. I hate Ainge :p

One of those years when I have to root for other teams: Seahawks for Football with the NY Giants likely going to be 1-15 for the year and the Warriors which are poised to go to the Finals every year for the next 5 years with the Lakers ... to be that pitiful kind of Lakers until 2071 .. :(

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Why not the Warriors?
I find the Warriors very sympathetic with superstars like KD relinquishing several millions of his salary to give the team/employer more possibilities for other players.

ABLBJ? Welcome to my club, christoph, or I will join your club. :D And since I'm in this club, I rooted for any team that was against LBJ ever since he joined the league, with the Celtics doing a few years of demolition of the Cavs in the Eastern playoffs, and I thank the Warriors the past 2 times they beat him. It will be a different story IF the Celtics were to actually, or fantastically face the Warriors in the near future.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Those were the kind of deals only the Lakers would make ... when they had the functional Kupchak + West + Real Buss trio ... Now with Jeanie and whomever passes for GM at the helm .. they are lucky to have an adequate core of young players who may or may not be up to the hype ..

I recall the year the Lakers won the title and then got the number 1 pick in James Worthy. How? I had forgotten so here is Wiki:

The Los Angeles Lakers had received the Cleveland Cavaliers' 1982 first-round draft pick in a 1979 exchange for Don Ford.[5] The Cavaliers finished with the NBA's worst record in the 1981–82 season,

Don Ford??? Became a James Worthy. Ainge has yet to top that, imo.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I recall the year the Lakers won the title and then got the number 1 pick in James Worthy. How? I had forgotten so here is Wiki:

The Los Angeles Lakers had received the Cleveland Cavaliers' 1982 first-round draft pick in a 1979 exchange for Don Ford.[5] The Cavaliers finished with the NBA's worst record in the 1981–82 season,

Don Ford??? Became a James Worthy. Ainge has yet to top that, imo.

True that but a simple question: Curry is likely the third best player in the NBA in the mind of basketball fans ( LBJ, KD being #1 and 2 respectively, There could be a debate whether Russell Westbrook is not #3) but ... who has had the better Finals in the past 3 years between Curry and Kyrie? Look at the numbers and remember the plays, this is how good Kyrie Irving has been for a long time... IMHO Kyrie in the past NBA Finals was the 2nd best player. Again that hated LBJ was the #1.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
True that but a simple question: Curry is likely the third best player in the NBA in the mind of basketball fans ( LBJ, KD being #1 and 2 respectively, There could be a debate whether Russell Westbrook is not #3) but ... who has had the better Finals in the past 3 years between Curry and Kyrie? Look at the numbers and remember the plays, this is how good Kyrie Irving has been for a long time... IMHO Kyrie in the past NBA Finals was the 2nd best player. Again that hated LBJ was the #1.

Yes, I see your point. Deep in my heart, I would really like to see Kyrie raise a trophy for Boston, or in Boston Garden. That would give him the biggest joy in his young sports life as there has been a play up in media that his father played for Boston University with the number 11, and hence Kyrie's choice of using the number 11 as a Celtic. I like him more and more as a man as he speaks with humility but with great aspirations and even more, a fantastic commitment to grow more as a player. I would like certainly to brand him as number 1 someday. As in the Dave Grusin albums sometime ago - OUT OF THE SHADOWS, and ONE OF A KIND. :)

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Why not the Warriors?

1. I don't want to see the same team win all the time.

2. I really don't like Draymond Green - dirty player.

3. They have beaten the hell out of my Clippers the last few years.

I don't root against the Cavs and LeBron because I grew up in Ohio and want to see good things happen for the city of Cleveland. They deserved to win a sports championship and LBJ brought them one.

Edit - When I was a kid and played basketball I was a big guy and had to fight for every point and rebound. I hated those little guards who made outside shots and made it look easy. Warriors do that all the time.

Edit 2 - KD took the easy way out and joined a team that was already good. Couldn't win one with OKC so he abandoned his team and took the easy route to a championship instead of earning it.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Yes, I see your point. Deep in my heart, I would really like to see Kyrie raise a trophy for Boston, or in Boston Garden. That would give him the biggest joy in his young sports life as there has been a play up in media that his father played for Boston University with the number 11, and hence Kyrie's choice of using the number 11 as a Celtic. I like him more and more as a man as he speaks with humility but with great aspirations and even more, a fantastic commitment to grow more as a player. I would like certainly to brand him as number 1 someday. As in the Dave Grusin albums sometime ago - OUT OF THE SHADOWS, and ONE OF A KIND. :)[/QUO

I wish you hadn't mentioned Dave Grusin. He was on tour about 40 years ago and gave a concert in the town where I lived. My girl friend at the time met him after the concert and then ran off with him !! Now she wasn't a keeper so it wasn't a total heartbreaker but she was quite attractive and highly skilled.

So, every time I see Dave Grusin's name it irritates me! :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes, I see your point. Deep in my heart, I would really like to see Kyrie raise a trophy for Boston, or in Boston Garden. That would give him the biggest joy in his young sports life as there has been a play up in media that his father played for Boston University with the number 11, and hence Kyrie's choice of using the number 11 as a Celtic. I like him more and more as a man as he speaks with humility but with great aspirations and even more, a fantastic commitment to grow more as a player. I would like certainly to brand him as number 1 someday. As in the Dave Grusin albums sometime ago - OUT OF THE SHADOWS, and ONE OF A KIND. :)[/QUO

I wish you hadn't mentioned Dave Grusin. He was on tour about 40 years ago and gave a concert in the town where I lived. My girl friend at the time met him after the concert and then ran off with him !! Now she wasn't a keeper so it wasn't a total heartbreaker but she was quite attractive and highly skilled.

So, every time I see Dave Grusin's name it irritates me! :)

Sorry bout that then. I would never have guessed that a jazz artist would be an irritant to you. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing