New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Missing the playoffs not typical for NBA legends
Likely missing postseason for third time drops LeBron James down a rung

Either LeBron James is going to get distracted by his outside ventures in Hollywood this summer, or the rest of the NBA might be in trouble.
The crossroads is clearly marked, the only uncertainty being which path James takes. In likely missing the NBA playoffs for the first time in 14 years, will James lose the focus so essential to his day job and plunge headlong into the entertainment and philanthropic pursuits that intrigue him and fill up so many of the hours not demanded by basketball?
Or, with two additional months freed up by missing not just the postseason but The Finals for the first time since 2010, will James up his gym time and challenge himself physically and mentally to come back healthier, stronger and better for 2019-20, the season during which he’ll turn 35 years old?
At least one of James’ old cronies expects the latter. As Kevin Love told Cleveland.com recently, “Just having that break, being able to reassess and come back really, really highly motivated is going to be big for him. If you get 'Bron highly motivated anything can happen.”

First, of course, comes a period of adjustment in processing a season without any playoff possibilities. That hasn’t been part of the James brand since 2005, his second year in the NBA, back when he still couldn’t legally buy an adult beverage.
Even if his body craves a longer layoff after eight straight Finals trips, during which he averaged nearly 97 regular season and postseason appearances -- cramming in the equivalent of two extra seasons -- it figures to be disorienting to be idled when more than half the league keeps going come mid-April.
It also will bump James down a rung among the game’s legendary players, as measured by how frequently or infrequently they failed to lead their teams into the playoffs. From a collection of 30 of the NBA’s best players ever, nine never missed a chance to qualify for the big spring tournament.

Reactions: christoph and jadis

Steve Williams

This to me is what makes Kareem truly a great individual. I would bet money that James will never cheer for anyone to break his records

From NBA media
Abdul-Jabbar says he cheers those who break his records

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is one of the living legends in the NBA, ranking as the game's all-time leader in points scored, minutes played, field goals made and attempted. Upon his retirement in 1989, no player had ever scored more points, blocked more shots, won more Most Valuable Player Awards, played in more All-Star Games or logged more seasons than him.
That has changed since then, as Abdul-Jabbar -- now 71 -- has watched as some of his all-time records have fallen. Last week, Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James passed Michael Jordan for fourth on the all-time scoring list. James currently needs 6,011 more points to leapfrog Abdul-Jabbar as the NBA's all-time leading scorer, a feat that may still be possible for James to accomplish as his career winds down.
To Abdul-Jabbar, though, the notion of his all-time scoring mark being passed is not one he is fretting over. Quite the opposite, it seems, as Abdul-Jabbar opened up on that topic in a piece he wrote for The Guardian newspaper that was published Wednesday.

"Every time I’m introduced in a public setting, my list of NBA records is announced," Abdul-Jabbar wrote. "But whenever someone closes in on one of my remaining records, especially the Moby-Dick as the all-time leading scorer, I’m asked by dozens of media people whether I think they can do it and how I’ll feel if they do. It’s as if people think I’m sitting home watching the games chanting: Miss! Miss! Miss!
"Actually, when I see these talented veteran players’ remarkable athleticism while shooting, blocking and rebounding, I’m cheering them on with “Go, man, go!” ... I want them to break my records because doing so is one more benchmark of human progress."
In his storied career, Abdul-Jabbar was Rookie of the Year, a member of six NBA championship teams, a six-time NBA MVP, a two-time NBA Finals MVP, a 19-time All-Star, a two-time scoring champion and a member of the NBA 35th and 50th Anniversary All-Time Teams. When James passed Jordan last week on the list, Abdul-Jabbar cited his Instagram post on the moment in which he congratulated LeBron.
"Hey LeBron, I just wanted to congratulate you on your most recent accomplishment, passing Michael Jordan," Abdul-Jabbar wrote in his Instagram post. "I know he was your hero, and how much it means to you to pass someone that you admired your whole life. The same thing happened to me, back in 1984, when I was able to pass Wilt [Chamberlain]’s record, someone that I had admired when I was a kid. So I know what that means to you, and it’s a very special day, so congratulations for that."

Reactions: jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a high respect for Kareem, he was a big stumbling block to any Celtics title hopes in the 80s, and as I had mentioned, he was the player I grew up with and looked up with awe as a Buck then named Lew Alcindor. A great man no doubt and I'm not surprised by this news.

Steve Williams

Over the past few weeks I've been wondering if the GSW are vulnerable this year as they haven't been playing their best and have lost a lot of games to much inferior teams
I thought tonight's match up between GSW and Rockets in Houston might prove how vulnerable. Boy was I wrong. Even with KD out and Harden scoring a bunch the GSW looked like they were toying with the Rockets

96-83 with 7:30 remaining in the 4th

It's difficult to know who can beat them in a 7 game series

Steve Williams

Terrific game as the Rockets really to come within one but Curry makes 2 FT's to extend to 106-103 with 8 seconds left.

Final GSW 106-104

First time this year the Warriors have beaten the Rockets

Steve Williams

How did IT go from being the best player on the Celts a few years ago only to be a has been in the League now

Reports: Nuggets pull Isaiah Thomas from rotation

After a delayed start to his inaugural campaign with the Nuggets, guard Isaiah Thomas might be set for an early finish. Reports out of Denver confirm that coach Michael Malone intends to shorten his rotation for the stretch run, and Thomas didn't play in Tuesday's 133-107 victory against the Timberwolves.
“Definitely talked to him,” Malone told reporters after the game. “I’ll keep that conversation between I.T. and myself,” Malone said. “Not an easy conversation, but that’s my job. ... Isaiah is a pro and was into the game, supporting his teammates.”
Per Sean Keeler of the Denver Post, Malone -- who previously coached Thomas when both were in Sacramento -- indicated it had more to do with a holistic approach than any sleight on individual performance.
“It’s never about Isaiah. It’s never about any individual,” Malone explained. “It’s about what I think is best for our team. And I made the decision to shorten the rotation, only played eight guys in the first quarter. And I’m going to continue to do that for the time being.”
Thomas, third in the league with 28.9 points per game just two seasons ago, averaged only 8.6 points (37.3 FG%), 1.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 15.5 minutes in the nine games prior to Tuesday's win.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How did IT go from being the best player on the Celts a few years ago only to be a has been in the League now

Reports: Nuggets pull Isaiah Thomas from rotation

After a delayed start to his inaugural campaign with the Nuggets, guard Isaiah Thomas might be set for an early finish. Reports out of Denver confirm that coach Michael Malone intends to shorten his rotation for the stretch run, and Thomas didn't play in Tuesday's 133-107 victory against the Timberwolves.
“Definitely talked to him,” Malone told reporters after the game. “I’ll keep that conversation between I.T. and myself,” Malone said. “Not an easy conversation, but that’s my job. ... Isaiah is a pro and was into the game, supporting his teammates.”
Per Sean Keeler of the Denver Post, Malone -- who previously coached Thomas when both were in Sacramento -- indicated it had more to do with a holistic approach than any sleight on individual performance.
“It’s never about Isaiah. It’s never about any individual,” Malone explained. “It’s about what I think is best for our team. And I made the decision to shorten the rotation, only played eight guys in the first quarter. And I’m going to continue to do that for the time being.”
Thomas, third in the league with 28.9 points per game just two seasons ago, averaged only 8.6 points (37.3 FG%), 1.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists in 15.5 minutes in the nine games prior to Tuesday's win.

Steve, my guess Is the injury greatly affected his game. Sad to see this happen.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
NBA rumors: LeBron James trade was contemplated by Lakers owner Jeanie Buss

Dalton Johnson
NBC Sports BayAreaMar 15, 2019, 1:30 AM

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-lebron-james-trade-173050948.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...akers-get-for-lebron-not-as-much-as-you-think

"
One Western Conference GM said he would be interested in trading for James to contend with the defending champion Golden State Warriors, but he wouldn't swap his best player for him because it would defeat the purpose. Translation: James can't single-handedly lead a team to title contention, especially in the Western Conference. He needs a fellow star next to him, along with the right coach and supporting cast.

"He's not good enough anymore to take four cadavers and get to the Finals," the GM says. "Not in the West."

James does not have a no-trade clause in the four-year, $153.3 million contract he signed last summer, league sources say, but he does have a 15 percent trade kicker—his contract's value increases 15 percent and the raise has to be accounted for in making the deal work under salary-cap rules—which complicates, but does not preclude, moving him."

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Here is a fabulous interview about the 4 year mess Le Bron has created in Los Angeles

It starts at the 4:40 mark

Bottom line is no one wants to come and play with LeBron as a super team. The Lakers are up the creek without a paddle as far as getting an off season super star acquisition in the nect 3 years

Lakers are finished with LeBron on the team. They need to trade him. Bottom line is after this season the league cannot be blind to the fact that he isn't the player he used to be and even if he were there will be no super star team in Los Angeles for the next 3 years.

Come on Jeannie every knows it. LeBron and his entourage are not taking the Lakers to a championship

and a further video on a LeBron trade. They say he sucks the air out of a franchise

Steve Williams

After today's loss in NYC to the bottom feeder Knicks I have to hope that Magic and Jeannie see eye to eye that Lebron is the Lakers biggest liability and not their biggest asset. They had a 12 point lead late in the fourth perf only to allow the knicks to finish on a 13-1 scoring spree. The last shot of the game goes to non other than the King to win the game at the buzzer. Instead his shot was blocked and Lakers lose 124-123

I can truly say that this season has been no better than the past 5 seasons and the off season will be interesting to watch.I hope they trade James but the way he has been playing I bet there are no suitors. So this is what the Lakers got for $154M :mad:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
After today's loss in NYC to the bottom feeder Knicks I have to hope that Magic and Jeannie see eye to eye that Lebron is the Lakers biggest liability and not their biggest asset. They had a 12 point lead late in the fourth perf only to allow the knicks to finish on a 13-1 scoring spree. The last shot of the game goes to non other than the King to win the game at the buzzer. Instead his shot was blocked and Lakers lose 124-123

I can truly say that this season has been no better than the past 5 seasons and the off season will be interesting to watch.I hope they trade James but the way he has been playing I bet there are no suitors. So this is what the Lakers got for $154M :mad:

I was never a LeBron hater but the way he has played this year and the way he has conducted himself sure doesn't look too good.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was 'neutral' when LeBron came to the league and in his first 8 years. After that, I can't say I liked him, specially since he and his teams were conference rivals of the Celtics. This season, no phrase had reverbed in my mind more than what Dwayne Wade was quoted as saying - the decision of LeBron is not about basketball. And it is developing right before our eyes. His focus is on himself, totally. Glamor and glitter of Hollywood, and solo stats and records to break, for his own glory. His scheme to take in ONE player at the expense of practically the entire team speaks loudly on his self serving interests, which is to control the team and run it according to his whims. Sad for all the Lakers fan for the disappointing outcome so far. As to how to fix it, I agree with Steve and Jeff that trading LeBron is the first step. But I can sense mayhem happening to the team that he gets traded to, and that team isn't even going to be his own choice - hence, a moral problem possibly to be added to the woes of taking him in. He might even 'sit out'. :D

Reactions: christoph and WLVCA

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Lou Williams (again) hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer to give the Clippers a 119 - 116 victory over the Brooklyn Nets.

Former Laker D'Angelo Russell had 32 points and 10 assists for the Nets. Looks like he may be just a little bit better than Lonzo Ball - at least at this point in his career.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Pacers vs Clippers tonight at Staples. Indy favored by 5 points in Las Vegas

Game is on NBA TV

EDIT! Pacers and Clippers don't play until tomorrow night. My error.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Did HE play defense? LOL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing