New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
There has been so much going on in a lot of professional sports that to me is anything but professional and it deters my enjoyment of it.
This whole letting players run the league chasing money, under the thin veil of "rings" is very distracting from enjoyment of the game.
Owners management and coaches run the team and establish goals. Players get paid to play and that order needs to be back into place

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
There has been so much going on in a lot of professional sports that to me is anything but professional and it deters my enjoyment of it.
This whole letting players run the league chasing money, under the thin veil of "rings" is very distracting from enjoyment of the game.
Owners management and coaches run the team and establish goals. Players get paid to play and that order needs to be back into place

Sadly it has become all about players and not teams chasing rings because
1. Adam silver doesn't have the cajones to take the ball by the hands (no pun intended)

2. The way things are now, even if Silver did create rules, the players will always find a way to do what they've been doing

IIRC it all started about a decade or so ago when the self proclaimed King said he was "taking his talents to South Beach" to join Wade and Bosch. To think that network TV gave him an interview and prime time to tell us how he was going to manipulate the league. IMO things have never been the same since

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy and jadis

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sadly it has become all about players and not teams chasing rings because
1. Adam silver doesn't have the cajones to take the ball by the hands (no pun intended)

2. The way things are now, even if Silver did create rules, the players will always find a way to do what they've been doing

IIRC it all started about a decade or so ago when the self proclaimed King said he was "taking his talents to South Beach" to join Wade and Bosch. To think that network TV gave him an interview and prime time to tell us how he was going to manipulate the league. IMO things have never been the same since

Agreed, Steve.

If there is one thing James is good at, it is in marketing HIMSELF. I never saw Kareem, Bird, or Magic having that talent. And to think he came straight out of high school, without any marketing degree or anything, and look at where he is now in terms of fortune. After 8 years and no championship, he was wise to make his turn, because had he not done it, he would still have no championship today. He now has perfected the 'pick-your-spots' tactics, jumping into the Heat and back to the Cavs wagon, and the manipulation of trading Wiggins for Love signaled his entry into the 'GM' role as well, which he perfected with the help of his best buddy Rich Paul (JR and Tristan hold out for big contract extensions). Now of course the infamous prying of Anthony Davis via covered mouth with shirt recruitment. And so here were are now. Silver has a lot do with these, for doing nothing. A $50,000 fine to AD and $500,000 to Magic, both for tampering, shows us that he is protecting the players and obviously scared of the players. LeBron (via Rich Paul) not running the Lakers? If they're not, then I've got a big bridge in Manila to sell to them.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reactions: christoph

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Kawhi IMO has changed considerably since the finals and his relocation. He seems to be flaunting it but not as bold as James

And it all started with a quad injury which went mysterious that Parker and Pop had to make some comments. And Pop stated the word 'group' in reference to Kawhi's medical team and uncle Dennis. His quiet demeanor still pales in comparison to James' current movie and Tacko Tuesday antics. :D

Steve Williams

Truthfully, does anyone really care about Rich Paul??

Paul concerned about impact of 'Rich Paul Rule'

From ESPN...

Rich Paul, founder and CEO of Klutch Sports Group, said that while it's "flattering" that the NCAA's new agent provisions are being called the "Rich Paul Rule," he's more concerned about the greater impact the new criteria will have.

Colloquially dubbed the "Rich Paul Rule," the memo, obtained by ESPN, outlines new criteria for agents interested in representing players testing the NBA draft waters: a bachelor's degree, NBPA certification for at least three consecutive years, professional liability insurance and completion of an in-person exam taken in early November at the NCAA office in Indianapolis.

NCAA issues rules for agents; LeBron responds
"The harmful consequences of this decision will ricochet onto others who are trying to break in," Paul said in an op-ed for The Athletic. "NCAA executives are once again preventing young people from less prestigious backgrounds, and often people of color, from working in the system they continue to control. In this case, the people being locked out are kids who aspire to be an agent and work in the NBA and do not have the resources, opportunity, or desire to get a four-year degree.

"I actually support requiring three years of experience before representing a kid testing the market. I can even get behind passing a test. However, requiring a four-year degree accomplishes only one thing -- systematically excluding those who come from a world where college is unrealistic.

"Does anyone really believe a four-year degree is what separates an ethical person from a con artist?"

Though he does not have a bachelor's degree, Paul's Klutch Sports represents LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Ben Simmons, Draymond Green, John Wall and other NBA players.

Last year, Paul began representing Darius Bazley after the No. 13 prospect in the Class of 2018 decommitted from Syracuse. The plan had been for Bazley to play in the G League, but instead, under Paul's direction, he landed a $1 million internship at New Balance and spent the year training for the NBA draft.

Bazley went No. 23 overall to the Utah Jazz but has since landed on the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"To be honest, I have no idea whether the NCAA adopted the new rule specifically because of my work with Darius Bazley, as people have speculated, or if it is because they know there are more and more people like me fighting for their chance and challenging this antiquated system," Paul said.

Paul said he's worried the new stipulations will present a road block for people like himself, who come from more challenging backgrounds, to get to his level of success in the field.

"When I travel back to neighborhoods like the inner city of Greater Cleveland where I'm from, young black kids tell me that they see my career as another path for them out of their troubled surroundings," Paul said. "They want to grow up to do what I do. That inspires me."

In the op-ed, Paul offered suggestions to how the NCAA could still reach its stated goals while being less exclusionary with its policies.

"Why [doesn't the NCAA] partner with universities on a one-year program for agents who don't meet their requirements but want to learn the business? Or work with existing agents who play by the rules to help mentor those who are trying to 'break in,'" Paul suggested.

He ended his op-ed with his own take on a hashtag popularized by friend and client James: "#MoreThanAnAgent."

Steve Williams

Oh and one more for Rich Paul just to show he's serious about AD becoming a free agent end of this year.From Yahoo sports

Report: Rich Paul still likes idea of Anthony Davis playing for Knicks

The Anthony Davis saga hasn’t even begun with the Los Angeles Lakers, and already we have rumors about where he might land next season.

Davis had the opportunity to sign with the Lakers right now, but he has declined to do so (which financially is the smart move, he makes more money waiting). Davis can see how things play out with the Lakers this season. If things don’t work, he could be a free agent next summer.

Of course, one of the teams that has always been rumored for Davis was the New York Knicks. They were able to score him in the trade market this season, but that doesn’t mean they don’t still have their eyes on the All-Star big man.

According to Marc Berman of the New York Post, the Knicks would still like to get their hands on Davis. His report says the feeling is mutual

Via NY Post:

The 2020 free-agent pool is short on stars, but they could be one of the favorites for big fish Anthony Davis if the Lakers implode. Rich Paul, Davis’ agent, likes the idea of his client in New York, according to a source.
League sources denied that is case to NBC Sports. Davis re-signing in Los Angeles remains the most likely outcome.

This could just be positioning by Paul to pressure the Lakers to continue to get better. Los Angeles doesn’t have a very strong roster outside of its two best players, and real title contention seems a bit lofty despite some expectations that are floating around out there.

But this is the age of player movement, and at this point Davis decamping Los Angeles after a year for New York would not surprise me in the least.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oh and one more for Rich Paul just to show he's serious about AD becoming a free agent end of this year.From Yahoo sports

The Anthony Davis saga hasn’t even begun with the Los Angeles Lakers, and already we have rumors about where he might land next season.

Davis had the opportunity to sign with the Lakers right now, but he has declined to do so (which financially is the smart move, he makes more money waiting). Davis can see how things play out with the Lakers this season. If things don’t work, he could be a free agent next summer.

Of course, one of the teams that has always been rumored for Davis was the New York Knicks. They were able to score him in the trade market this season, but that doesn’t mean they don’t still have their eyes on the All-Star big man.

According to Marc Berman of the New York Post, the Knicks would still like to get their hands on Davis. His report says the feeling is mutual

Via NY Post:

The 2020 free-agent pool is short on stars, but they could be one of the favorites for big fish Anthony Davis if the Lakers implode. Rich Paul, Davis’ agent, likes the idea of his client in New York, according to a source.
League sources denied that is case to NBC Sports. Davis re-signing in Los Angeles remains the most likely outcome.

This could just be positioning by Paul to pressure the Lakers to continue to get better. Los Angeles doesn’t have a very strong roster outside of its two best players, and real title contention seems a bit lofty despite some expectations that are floating around out there.

But this is the age of player movement, and at this point Davis decamping Los Angeles after a year for New York would not surprise me in the least.

I still believe LeBron has the choke hold on AD. It was he who told AD to shift to his front man Rich Paul in the first place. Between Jason Kidd and Rich Paul, who is to be trusted? That's a tough one. :D

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Via NY Post:

Paul only brings in the Knicks to extort more Money from the Lakers :rolleyes:;)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He must have paid the artist big time. :D

And a couple of comments from the fans:

shugiejones
Replace Lebron for Horry and we solid
19m

• bwgrenke
    You haven’t won a championship in laker gear yet man. Played one year and got tossed around. You can honestly say you a part of the lake show mt Rushmore yet can you?

Column: LeBron James thinks he belongs among Lakers greats. Fans think he needs to win a ring

James recently posted an artist’s rendering of himself, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant in Lakers uniforms, sitting courtside together as teammates. Under the illustration on Instagram he wrote, “SHEESH??? So HONORED and GRATEFUL to be apart of GREATNESS. P.S. Man o Man that STARTING 5 vs any franchise All-Time. Let’s Get it!! #LakeShow #KingMe #Mamba #Diesel #Magic #KingSkyHook

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lake...-lakers-greats-kobe-bryant-shaq-magic-johnson

Steve Williams

Reactions: christoph and jadis

Steve Williams

It seems to me that there is no more glory or recognition for having played for Team USA. It seems everyone who has withdrawn from the team understand that this years schedule is going to involve some very tough games and I think players want ti be better prepared for the season and not run the risk of injury at the World games

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing