New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'll wager that they will still win it as long as they're committed to Pop's system. It just won't be the typical USAB domination.

Here you go Jack.......

Popovich helps build team camaraderie with 'Pop Quizzes'
Questions range from world geography to the periodic table
John Schuhmann
John Schuhmann NBA.com

SHANGHAI -- If the United States Men's National Team is going to win gold at the FIBA World Cup, the American players are going to have rely on each other.

This team does not have the superstar bucket-getters of past USA squads. As we saw in the Americans' overtime escape against Turkey on Tuesday, the margin for error is thin. And to keep winning against tougher competition, the players will need to help each other when it comes to identifying the opposing defense or who's defending whom on a pick and roll.

Just like they do when it comes to identifying the Czech Republic on an unlabeled map of Europe.

That has been one of the challenges that U.S. head coach Gregg Popovich has given his players along the journey to the World Cup knockout rounds. At the beginning of some of the team's meetings, Popovich has selected a player to answer a non-basketball question, a "Pop Quiz" if you will.

This group of Americans is probably more learned in pick-and-roll coverage than world geography. Fortunately, players, in the face of trying to distinguish the Czech Republic from Slovakia, are allowed to use a lifeline, like on "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?," with Popovich in the role of Regis Philbin.

Need help? Your teammate is there for you.

"Being willing to ask for help, willing to go to your teammate," Donovan Mitchell told NBA.com, "that's what, really, a lot of this is all about."

It's not all geography. Stanford alum Brook Lopez aced a Pop Quiz by recalling the periodic symbol for silver (Ag). The key was a mnemonic device that Lopez had memorized years back.

"Ahh gee, it's only silver," he said. "Ay you, give me that gold.

"I'm amazed at the things I do remember and the things I don't remember from high school chemistry and high school world cultures."

Harrison Barnes, former AP student, was cited as being the best Pop Quiz contestant.

Steve Williams

Can you feel the love :)

Good to see Damien express his feelings.....

Melo needs to get on with his life, retire and either replace or sit beside Jalen Rose as a color commentator

Damian Lillard says Carmelo Anthony isn’t coming to Trail Blazers
Dane Delgado
NBC Sports

The Portland Trail Blazers found themselves in the Western Conference Finals against the Golden State Warriors last season. They weren’t able to advance to the final playoff series of the year, but it was a stellar run for a team that desperately needed some playoff success in order to prove that their roster construction theory is tenable.

A lot of faces have already changed this offseason in the Willamette Valley, but Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum are still on hand, and that means Portland will be playoff contenders yet again.

The team has added some veteran players, including Pau Gasol, and it’s been speculated that the Blazers might be a landing spot for former NBA scoring champion Carmelo Anthony. Anthony had been rumored as a potential Trail Blazer in seasons past, with Lillard apparently lobbying for his services.

But in a recent interview, Lillard said that Anthony is not a potential candidate to come to Portland as a veteran presence this season.

Steve Williams

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's cool Stevie! This is a side of Pops I've never seen before. I don't think he ever let us see it. What a difference playing for country makes :)

Steve Williams

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
and how about Dwight......well he's looking for LA love

Dwight Howard embracing chance to start over with Lakers
Center out to prove through actions, not words, what he can do on court
Greg Beacham | The Associated Press

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/09/05/dwight-howard-ready-prove-self-lakers?collection=news
I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Dwight becomes the Superman of his Orlando days and incredibly becomes the number 1 man of the Lakers. How will that sit well with self proclaimed king? Lots of big egos there.

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where Dwight becomes the Superman of his Orlando days and incredibly becomes the number 1 man of the Lakers. How will that sit well with self proclaimed king? Lots of big egos there.

From your mouth to God's ears :)

Reactions: jadis

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Reactions: jadis and christoph

Steve Williams

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

and speaking of politics (which we can't) is LeBron now emerging on the political stage

LeBron James voices support for California bill that would allow college athletes to be paid
Liz RoscherYahoo Sports

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No handshake at the end of the game.

Smart vs Giannis, I would have thought he was a bit small for the GF. :D

2019 FIBA World Cup: Tempers flare after Team USA rolls over Greece

Eric He
Yahoo Sports Contributor

https://sports.yahoo.com/2019-fiba-...ter-team-usa-rolls-over-greece-144927460.html

They did hold the Greeks to 32 percent shooting and clamped down on Giannis, who had 15 points and 13 rebounds but his plus-minus of -17 was a tournament-low for him. Smart excelled defensively on the reigning NBA MVP:

Just watch the defensive effort from Marcus Smart on this play. Doesn't let Giannis get post position to start, fights to front to take away a catch (man did 4 spin moves) and still gets a contest on the shooter at the end of the possession.​

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
and speaking of politics (which we can't) is LeBron now emerging on the political stage

LeBron James voices support for California bill that would allow college athletes to be paid
Liz RoscherYahoo Sports

The guy is one-of-a-kind. He can follow our local hero boxing champion Manny Pacquiao who was a Congressman before and a Senator now. Manny also founded a basketball league of his own here. That is what LeBron should do, tacos are a bit too 'small' for him.

Steve Williams

The guy is one-of-a-kind. He can follow our local hero boxing champion Manny Pacquiao who was a Congressman before and a Senator now. Manny also founded a basketball league of his own here. That is what LeBron should do, tacos are a bit too 'small' for him.

Phil

Remember 3 years ago at this time when we all flew back from Hong Kong to Manuila. On the way back to Jack's house the first thing I saw coming out of your airport was a huge bill board mounted vertically with LeBron It was huge.

Reactions: jadis

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing