Attachments

• AlexxV.JPG
    AlexxV.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Reactions: ack

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Wilson's trickle down technology has been very interesting to me.

I assume this will have the XVX mid, the new Capacitors and that aluminum gantry with adjustable time domain modules.

The latter , if true, from the WAMM very interesting. How do they account for the time signature of certain amplifiers?

Does adjusting the modules on the WAMM and XVX actually change something in the crossover?

If this technology makes its way to the Alexx V, will be very interesting to read the reviews.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: tima and Mdp632

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Any idea on the pricing? upward and upward no doubt :rolleyes:

Reactions: KeithR

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I would put the over/under at $179K. Since they have retired the XLF they need something to fill that relative price point. Then they will come in with something new in the $89-100K price range. This is the way.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Ok. Well I was thinking $169 but then I thought they might go $189.

If I put on my marketing hat. Let's assume they just have a modest price increase to $129 or maybe $139K. The next step up would be $329K. That leaves a huge 200K price gap. Then how do you fill in that gap with a speaker in the roughly $210K range? If I look at their technology you have the 3 driver upper gantry AlexxV then the 4 driver gantry XVX. What would be the speaker in between these? It is much easier to price the AlexxV at $189K and then develop a speaker to go into the $100K spot.

Anyway that is my crazy marketing logic.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I'll take the under.

you would know :)

so a lot above Alexx price of 109k but under 179k.

makes my distant cousin, the Maxx3 seem a bargin - but at these upward prices, too much $$ to upgrade.

• Sad
Reactions: RussR

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Ok. Well I was thinking $169 but then I thought they might go $189.

If I put on my marketing hat. Let's assume they just have a modest price increase to $129 or maybe $139K. The next step up would be $329K. That leaves a huge 200K price gap. Then how do you fill in that gap with a speaker in the roughly $210K range? If I look at their technology you have the 3 driver upper gantry AlexxV then the 4 driver gantry XVX. What would be the speaker in between these? It is much easier to price the AlexxV at $189K and then develop a speaker to go into the $100K spot.

Anyway that is my crazy marketing logic.

for some reason, hifi pricing seems to defy logic. Cars come out every 5-6 years and are a lot better cars than what they are replacing, yet the prices stays the same.

In Hifi, the price just goes up for no good COGS reason. Is this a viable long term pricing structure for the Wilson or any other hifi company?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Huge News for Wilson- New Tweeter makes it debut on Alexx V.

Mono & Stereo © 2020: WILSON AUDIO ALEXX V INSIGHTS (monoandstereo.com)

Further insights about the upcoming Wilson Audio Alexx V speakers. "When it came to Alexx V’s tweeter, the R&D team once again considered all available options. Fundamentally, the integration of the tweeter and midrange is an absolutely critical element to sound reproduction. Countless hours were spent examining areas of improvement. After careful and methodical consideration, the R&D team decided to build an all-new tweeter system. Therefore, Alexx V features an entirely new Convergent Synergy Carbon (CSC) tweeter, which builds upon a modified version of the previous Convergent Synergy motor while embracing an outstanding and intricately innovative rear-wave chamber."

"This all carbon fiber design is completely manufactured in-house using several 3D printers. The sonic results of this tweeter development cycle have been nothing short of dramatic. The CSC offers far greater and more linear high frequency extension while providing unprecedented ambient retrieval and superior harmonic detail"

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The new CSC tweeter on Alexx V :
156145677_10160459682457656_8725090611557641434_n-1.jpg

The generations of Wilson Audio tweeters :
154896512_10160459682472656_2085107279124465833_n-1.jpg

from

Reactions: redandgold

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
for some reason, hifi pricing seems to defy logic. Cars come out every 5-6 years and are a lot better cars than what they are replacing, yet the prices stays the same.

..In Hifi, the price just goes up for no good COGS reason. Is this a viable long term pricing structure for the Wilson or any other hifi company?

I believe the first BMW 3 series I purchased was $7,700.

We are very grateful at Wilson that what we are doing with new models has been so well supported by Wilson fans new and old.

In January 2016, Alexx was released at $109k, a price it has maintained throughout its lifetime. Were it released today, it would be just under $119k based on 2016 price in current dollars. Those industry people who are aware of everything that is in Alexx V vs Alexx have guessed pricing well above that, roughly 10%-30% above what Alexx V retail will be.

So:

Bring out speaker at a retail price based on COGS increase from the previous model it replaces.

Maintain initial retail price throughout five-ish year lifespan.

Design new model with demonstrable and visible improvements in sound (and product, certainly not always just a sonic thing.)

Bring out the new product with retail price based on cost of changes.

If Sasha DAW's, Sabrina X's, and the soon to be released Alexx V's receptions are any indicator, it appears Wilson will be just fine.

As always, ymmv.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Can you imagine if this new tweeter from the Alexx V and the midrange plus caps on the XVX, existed when the WAMM MC was launched?

Exciting times ahead.

Looking foward to reading some Alexx V impressions here.

Last edited:
Reactions: peter pan

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Don't own a Wilson speaker but their marketing is quite good.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing