New Audigon Service Fee

digitaldevil

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2022
Scottsdale
Hello all. I don't know where this discussion might best be placed. I also don't know if this has been discussed previously, but it appears that Audiogon has some new, buyer imposed, service fees. I just bought a cable for about $950 and Audiogon charged me a $5.99 "service fee". Apparently, Audiogon will be charging a fee based on the sale price to the buyers of each transaction. My seller had no idea about this.

There were several recent discussions started via Audiogon's forums about this new fee and the moderators removed them all. Not a good look.

Anyway, I thought that the WBF community should be made aware.

An excerpt from Audiogon's fee page reads:

"Audiogon Service Fee

A service fee is charged to buyers when purchasing an item from a seller; the amount is dependent on sales price. This is used to support the marketplace, develop new features, and provide support to our customers and community."

Last edited:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I hadn't heard but I'm not surprised. Audiogon like everyone else has to raise money some kind of way I guess.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Audiogon got fat. Too many employees. Too many administrators. People don't need new services. Zero customer service.

avoid audiogon - there are plenty of other ways to buy and sell.

Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
The uniqueness of audiogon is that each party is rated and has history, including comments and what was bought and sold. I have had 100% satisfactory purchases and selling due to the fact that I can look at someone’s history and feel very comfortable in dealing with them. There is no other website that offers this so far that I am aware of

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The uniqueness of audiogon is that each party is rated and has history, including comments and what was bought and sold. I have had 100% satisfactory purchases and selling due to the fact that I can look at someone’s history and feel very comfortable in dealing with them. There is no other website that offers this so far that I am aware of

US Audio Mart displays a transaction feedback report. eBay does as well.

83F9A3BC-D0E5-4F1F-A80F-A339308B8706.jpeg

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
For me I always been more successful selling on Audiogon. But I see them like all others. They all need to make money to pay the bills.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Greed. Nothing but greed. That's all I have to say about that.

We have been there, done that, bent over and yet they need more. It just boils down to greed.

Tom

digitaldevil

VIP/Donor
Sep 23, 2022
Scottsdale
Transparency is my issue.

I would like to have seen Audiogon send an email letting members know that this was coming. I entered into a transaction not knowing the total cost of the transaction until after I committed (offer was accepted). As I stated in the original post, the seller did not know about this fee either.

"the amount is dependent on sales price"
What does that mean and where is the breakdown?

Removing forum threads of members discussing their new and undisclosed fees...I just don't even know what to say about that.

Reactions: Gjo and unboxed

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Actually, Audiogon is not unique in that regard.

There are audio forums where you can get to know members over time. I know of one that promotes buy/sell trust by allowing members to post the results of their transactions with each other. You can send a PM to someone asking if they have dealt with someone or what is their reputation.

Audiogon has high fees relative to their value. They attempt to lock themselves into being the middleman, disallowing external communication between buyers and sellers. Why do they do that? Because they have high fees. It is typical for sellers to include those fees in their asking price.

But hey, if the comfort you gain from seeing an Audiogon reputation is worth what it costs to use their service, then that's fine for you.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
US Audio Mart displays a transaction feedback report. eBay does as well.

View attachment 101411
thanks Ron, but i dont think my history can be dumped from AG? if it were me I would not believe someone telling me to check out history from another website so in a way I feel tied to a AG regardless

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I used to use Audiogon for buying and selling, but now use usaudiomart to sell gear or cables, works well, low fees, easy to communicate with transaction partners.

if it were me I would not believe someone telling me to check out history from another website so in a way I feel tied to a AG regardless

I have transaction feedback on both websites under the same user name and refer folks to Audiogon if they want to read the additional feedback. That said, I don't transact with folks who have no feedback on either site, or another credible site that I can refer to.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just learned the hard way about a similar fee on EBay. I bought a very expensive and rare cartridge recently and was charged a $900 service fee. I asked the seller about it and he knew nothing. I do think Ebay works very well with good communication and prompts and updates.

I do like Audiogon for selling. I sold my entire former audio system on Audiogon in a week for full asking price except for my turntable which I sold to a friend locally. It was extremely easy and convenient. But that was a year and a half ago. I’ve had no luck selling gear on USAudiomart or here on WBF.

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Wow, that’s a pretty stiff service fee. I’ve bought and sold a lot of stuff on Audiogon, but not recently, so appreciate the warning. eBay also charges a service fee. AudioMart might be the only option left. I’ve bought a bunch of stuff from there, but not sold anything there.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
thanks Ron, but i dont think my history can be dumped from AG? if it were me I would not believe someone telling me to check out history from another website so in a way I feel tied to a AG regardless
I get your concern about the "check my feedback on Audiogon" direction. I ask the person to send me a message from their claimed Audiogon profile, and it works like a charm to build confidence. I've done the reverse as a seller on USaudiomart.

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
US Audio Mart is superior to Audiogon for communication between the buyer and seller. US Audio Mart allows the use of an individual's personal email accounts. Users are not locked into the website's system.

Last edited:

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
US Audio Mart is superior to Audiogon for communication between the buyer and seller. US Audio Mart allows the use of individuals personal email accounts. Users are not locked into the website's system.
I also like that feature with US Audio Mart. But I do understand why Audiogon prevents this.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I looked on the Audiogon website. Is there a place where they tell you what the buyer fee is? Also in the seller section it says the seller keeps 98%, but the two options for selling say either 4% up front (whether you sell or not) or $5 upfront and 5.5% if you sell. I can't see how either is keeping 98% of the sales price. Thanks, Larry

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Charging the seller and buyer is pretty scammy. I did see an $8.99 charge on my recent purchase without any warning.

Reactions: Lowrider75

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I just learned the hard way about a similar fee on EBay. I bought a very expensive and rare cartridge recently and was charged a $900 service fee.
Wow for a $900 service fee that must have been one expensive cartridge. Hopefully you love the cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing