New Audio Research Ref 6SE and Ref Phono 3SE have arrived.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yesterday was a very good day! I received these new preamplifiers and installed them in the main system downstairs.

There is much break-in left to do but I am a bit astonished how much better they are than my Ref Phono 2 and Ref 5SE. Loads of advancement in build quality, packaging, and owner's manual as well. The only weak spot are the plastic remotes but I understand that a heavy metal version is due out any day.

Initial impressions are very positive:

1. Very low noise. This is tube gear? I cannot tell anymore because it is so damn quiet.
2. Incredibly full but taut bass. Yello sounds incredible.
3. Soundstage is deep and wide. Superb instrument separation.
4. Timbre. Instruments seem spot on. Listened to a lot of new jazz including the TonePoet Stanley Clarke Conception album with Hank Mobley.

Other things I like: the hours counter is now in a neat menu system. The remote is very responsive on volume changes which was not great on my 5SE.

Looks like Audio Research is really on a roll.

Next up is a Ref 160 Stereo amplifier which ships today. Then I am done for a while.

image0.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A few other comments if I might:

The Doshi Stereo amplifier has been simply amazing. There was no real need to replace the amp but I wondered how more power would sound. I am curious how the midrange will stack up against the Doshi. But I cannot recommend Nick Doshi's gear highly enough.

The Ref 6SE volume control is silky smooth. I much prefer this over the older up/down style switches.

The design is pleasing on the eye. I think Livio did some really stellar work here. I cannot wait to have some "ghost meters" in the room soon from the new amp too.

Reactions: timztunz

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Congratulations Lee. With your Wilsons the ARC kit makes wonderful music. Regarding break in… my experience with Ref10 pre and with Ref160m was it can be a little rocky for the first few hundred hours. Some days the system will sound mid-fi or completely lacking tonal balance, next day things come back together. I didn’t feel the kit was really mature until it crossed the 1000 mark, fully run in, stabilized, realizing full potential. From about 600 hrs to 1000 the changes are very subtle, for me there just came this place where everything seemed locked in.

Enjoy the journey, when the 160s arrives you‘re in for a real treat.

Reactions: Lee

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Yesterday was a very good day! I received these new preamplifiers and installed them in the main system downstairs.

There is much break-in left to do but I am a bit astonished how much better they are than my Ref Phono 2 and Ref 5SE. Loads of advancement in build quality, packaging, and owner's manual as well. The only weak spot are the plastic remotes but I understand that a heavy metal version is due out any day.

1. Very low noise. This is tube gear? I cannot tell anymore because it is so damn quiet.
4. Timbre. Instruments seem spot on. Listened to a lot of new jazz including the TonePoet Stanley Clarke Conception album with Hank Mobley.

Other things I like: the hours counter is now in a neat menu system. The remote is very responsive on volume changes which was not great on my 5SE.

Next up is a Ref 160 Stereo amplifier which ships today. Then I am done for a while.

View attachment 81783
Nice system! I currently have the phone ref 2se and was thinking of upgrading to the Ref 3se. Were you able to distinguish the improvement from the phono upgrade vs the preamp? Just trying to figure out if it is a worthwhile investment to make the jump.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congratulations Lee. With your Wilsons the ARC kit makes wonderful music. Regarding break in… my experience with Ref10 pre and with Ref160m was it can be a little rocky for the first few hundred hours. Some days the system will sound mid-fi or completely lacking tonal balance, next day things come back together. I didn’t feel the kit was really mature until it crossed the 1000 mark, fully run in, stabilized, realizing full potential. From about 600 hrs to 1000 the changes are very subtle, for me there just came this place where everything seemed locked in.

Enjoy the journey, when the 160s arrives you‘re in for a real treat.
Thank you and the break-in information is much appreciated.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Nice system! I currently have the phone ref 2se and was thinking of upgrading to the Ref 3se. Were you able to distinguish the improvement from the phono upgrade vs the preamp? Just trying to figure out if it is a worthwhile investment to make the jump.
I can tell you the Ref Phono 2 to Ref Phono 3SE is a huge upgrade in sound. Trent suggested I try the phono stage first then add the 6SE which is what I did. But unfortunately my prior Ref Phono 2 was not at Ref Phono 2SE level. Still, I think you will hear better bass and more clarity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lxgreen

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

View attachment 81783
Absolutely stunning congratulations.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I can tell you the Ref Phono 2 to Ref Phono 3SE is a huge upgrade in sound.

Congrats on your new ARC gear. There is a congruity with your new 3SE, 6SE, and 160amps that comes close to single gain stage sound. I've had all their phono models with and without SE designation (except the 3SE) in my system and understand exactly what you mean in your above statement. I daresay I like the phonos a bit more than the linestages, though the pairings closely mirror each other in design and construction.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congrats on your new ARC gear. There is a congruity with your new 3SE, 6SE, and 160amps that comes close to single gain stage sound. I've had all their phono models with and without SE designation (except the 3SE) in my system and understand exactly what you mean in your above statement. I daresay I like the phonos a bit more than the linestages, though the pairings closely mirror each other in design and construction.

Thank you Tim, much appreciated.

The Phono 3SE is really special and I am hearing more of the synergy as the amplifier breaks-in. The preamps arrived a few weeks ago so only 40 hours on the amp. It's starting to break-in nicely.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Lee! The room looks great and those components are fantastic!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congratulations, Lee! The room looks great and those components are fantastic!

Much appreciated Ron. It really has taken a leap forward in sound quality. And the ghost meters are a crowd favorite!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Much appreciated Ron. It really has taken a leap forward in sound quality. And the ghost meters are a crowd favorite!

I love the 160 amp models!

What is your current thinking about the Alexx V? Would you consider upgrading to that loudspeaker? With the Alexx V inheriting the new midrange driver of the XVX the Alexx V should be very special . . .

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I love the 160 amp models!

What is your current thinking about the Alexx V? Would you consider upgrading to that loudspeaker? With the Alexx V inheriting the new midrange driver of the XVX the Alexx V should be very special . . .

I would love those but perhaps the next model of Alexias would be worth a look as well.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Congratulations Lee, you have a superb looking (and I'm sure sounding) system!

It is amazing how Audio Research just keeps improving their amps.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Congratulations Lee, you have a superb looking (and I'm sure sounding) system!

It is amazing how Audio Research just keeps improving their amps.

They just keep getting better!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing