New Bergmann Galder Turntable + Odin Tonearm

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi,

Seeing as it's been briefly discussed in Ron's "Visit to Alma" thread, I figured I'd open a thread to talk about this table, that we're currently enjoying and showcasing here at Alma!

Here's Michael Fremer's review in a recent Stereophile:

http://audioingang.nl/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Bergmann-Galder-en-Odin-Stereophile-7-2018.pdf

And the Polish online mag High Fidelity also pitched in:

http://highfidelity.pl/@main-857&lang=en

As Bergmann's Premier dealer, we're glad to be able to bring this wonderful machine to the US!

cheers,
Alex

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Alex, thanks for posting the reviews. I noticed that MF brought up the issue that all of the captured air bearing arms seem to have problems with...'annular gap turbulence'. He then never discussed it again in his review. Is there something that I missed, how does this design address that problem?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yeah, he seemed to have used half the review to criticize the design, only to admit that he liked and was impressed.
I can ask Johnnie Bergmann, but I'm sure he's not interested in telling all the other manufacturers how he solved a potential problem... You should just come and listen, and see if Fremer's "wimpy bass" comment applies here. Even Fremer notes that "... bass control and extension were both very good, and better than I'd expected... I heard nothing wimpy or less than fully extended..."

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thanks, Alex.
Typically annular gap turbulence doesn't result in diminished bass response, it usually results in a slightly more diffuse soundstage and a slightly less resolved overall presentation. I will definitely come and have a listen.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
threads like this are useless without pretty pictures :D

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For non-Bergmann turntables what kind of mount does Bergmann offer for the Odin tonearm?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
This arm does look extremely interesting! If they solved the issues inherent with air bearing tonearms, why wouldn't they offer this arm as a stand alone offering?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am thinking about the Odin instead of the Schroder LT.

Reactions: Lagonda and asiufy

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’m not sure what that means. In theory the linear tracking tonearm is, I think, inarguably a good idea. The issue, and the complication, is the implementation and the air bearing.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I’m not sure what that means. In theory the linear tracking tonearm is, I think, inarguably a good idea. The issue, and the complication, is the implementation and the air bearing.
David is not a fan of them, and might not make you an arm board. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
David is not as dogmatic as that. Have you, or has David, seen or played with the Odin tonearm?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
David is not as dogmatic as that. Have you, or has David, seen or played with the Odin tonearm?
No i have not, but love linear tracking air bearing tone arms when they work.
I still use one as my primary arm. The Odin looks like a well designed arm, with heritage back to the Swedish Forsell arms that i used for many years.
David has stated many times that he does not like them, i doubt he has heard the Odin yet, but am sure he has most other air - bearing arms.

sefischer1

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
rI previously owned a Goldmund Studio with their latest linear arm (T3 or T4?) which was servo driven by detecting any deviation in angular position. Their solution addressed a problem of relatively high mass in the horizontal direction as seen at the stylus tip, by allowing for a slight horizontal pivoted movement and using a DC motor to move the arm sideways as needed. Unfortunately it only incremented in one direction leaving some error for eccentric center holes. That said, I liked the sound and function and was immediately drawn to the engineering elegance of the Bergmann arms.

I replaced the Goldmund with a Bergmann Sindre which performed beautifully where the Goldmund was lacking. Much more rigid, the arm provided a solidity of image and beautiful lack of distortion on the innermost grooves that can't be touched by any radial arm since they are all plagued by anti-skating related issues. I've some experience with the new Odin which takes the rigidity of the arm to a higher level and seems to be less sensitive to variations in air-flow volume and is better able to handle heavier cartridges. The Odin also improves on the cueing mechanism over the Sindre arm. The former being direct and consistent, the latter a bit touchy with it's o-ring connection. On the fly VTA adjustment (if you're into that) isn't really practical with Bergman arms. I've also found that the Bergmann tables are completely insensitive to any sort of mechanical feedback. For extra fun I fabricated a "C" clamp arm-board to allow me to mount a VPI arm so that I could easily add and swap different cartridges easily. For context, I've included a photo of the Goldmund 20170818_094148.jpg 20160714_213053_scaled.jpg 20160622_110018_001.jpg

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hey, I know this guy!
How's it going, Steve! Missed ya yesterday here in the store for 5 minutes!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, welcome to the forum. We’ve spoken on several occasions at Alex’s and I believe I saw you today browsing the LP’s at Bruce’s place. Didn’t get a chance to say hello today, but I am happy to report that Bruce hooked me up with an awesome cartridge....which is why I was at his store.
Anyhow, your first post here is a great one. Glad to see that you found your way on to the WBF...:cool:

Reactions: sefischer1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing