New DartZeel Owner

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
I am a new DartZeel owner, adding the 468s and matching pre (Mk II) just this afternoon to the system. I’ve read virtually every thread on this forum and had worked myself into a frenzy with questions, etc., but once I turned them on, all was well and the questions are no longer as pressing. Between that and the Horizon I added a couple of weeks ago, I am blown away. Color me a happy camper and thanks for all of the wisdom you all have shared on here over the last several years.

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Congrats Jim!

Stef

Jan 10, 2021
Paris / France
I am a new DartZeel owner, adding the 468s and matching pre (Mk II) just this afternoon to the system. I’ve read virtually every thread on this forum and had worked myself into a frenzy with questions, etc., but once I turned them on, all was well and the questions are no longer as pressing. Between that and the Horizon I added a couple of weeks ago, I am blown away. Color me a happy camper and thanks for all of the wisdom you all have shared on here over the last several years.
Congrats Jim for your DREAM system ! I'm sure it will bring you long hours of listening pleasure

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
Beware the remote control … that thing will move the volume fast.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! I was just speaking with someone in the industry (well regarded high end manufacturer) who heard the Dartzeel ref preamp and 468 monos, and was very very impressed.

Reactions: Pokey77

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, BR549! I wish you many years of musical bliss!

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
Well, after letting them break in for a few months, I finally got the 50 ohm cable from Evolution Acoustics. If you are considering a pair of these, I highly recommend the “Zeel” connection to the Dartz pre - changed the entire presentation as compared to an XLR connection (although I had mid tier AudioQuest XLRs just due to the expense of the long run). I likely don’t have 500 hours on the amps (which is what I understand I should anticipate for break in) and I don’t have much time at all on the cable, but it sounds so good. The hits just keep coming.

KahunaCanuck

Nov 5, 2022
White Rock, BC, Canada
Congratulations and cheers to an amazing system!

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
Installing the Thixar Amp Stands under the 468s tomorrow. I will frankly be surprised if they make an audible difference, but they just look so good.

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
Well, that's why one has to try these things. The Thixars had a significant audible impact - while it's difficult to quantify these things, it was the last step to really really opening up the sound. I suspect it is a little bit of the Evolution Acoustics 50 ohm cables and the amps/preamp themselves getting finally broken in, but the activation energy for the equation was the Thixars. Of course, the monos weigh too much to just try an A/B at will, but I was quite pleased with the SQ uplift (and I bought them for looks only!). I'm not sure it was exactly a sound quality change, as much as a presentation change, but I like it ... a lot. Try it - YMMV.

Reactions: ICUToo

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
No photo evidence — it never happened ;)

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
Here’s a crappy iphone photo! I have not posted photos on this site before, so I apologize if it’s huge, improperly oriented, etc. Even without the sound, the stands just look so good under the amps, they’re hard to resist.

Attachments

• EDE6CDCD-088E-4A88-916F-89D47F5A0FCB.jpeg
    EDE6CDCD-088E-4A88-916F-89D47F5A0FCB.jpeg
    722.1 KB · Views: 148

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Nice. I have a model 1 108 and could not be happier. Well, maybe a second model 1 since my speakers are biampable.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
would you consider posting your system in the Members Gallery?

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
@Zeotrope - not quite the topic of this thread, but thanks for that photo. Note that the NHB18NS (or mine anyway) allows a banana plug into the ground lug on both sides of the mono. I used that to chassis ground to material audible effect. Perhaps I did it wrong, but it worked for me and seemed to be designed for that purpose. Otherwise, I would have gone the same route you went.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing