New dCS Vivaldi 2.0

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Damn now i have to buy 4 new vivaldi 2.0 systems.....what do i do with old ones?.....recycle bin:p

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Software update for Tansport DAC
Hardware for up sampler
No panic

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Damn now i have to buy 4 new vivaldi 2.0 systems.....what do i do with old ones?.....recycle bin:p

Yep all units can be upgraded. SW for DAC and transport are free. For upsampler I believe the HW update will cost about the difference in old retail vs current retail. Will require the unit to be sent in. dCS has a strong history of taking care of their customers

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yep all units can be upgraded. SW for DAC and transport are free. For upsampler I believe the HW update will cost about the difference in old retail vs current retail. Will require the unit to be sent in. dCS has a strong history of taking care of th
Dir customers

Are DCS still software updating the Scarlatti?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Are DCS still software updating the Scarlatti?

yes-the last update added a Vivaldi mode and features such as dual AES vs firewire-which was a nice improvement. A new network interface in the works also...unsure the timing on this.

the dCS Scarlatti is still a formidable digital front end....

stevelgbch

Aug 18, 2013
Long Beach, CA

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I just had the 2.0 firmware installed on my Vivaldi DAC. AWESOME, really, what a difference. More of everything. I had strangely lusted after the Berkeley Reference, but no longer. I think this upgrade now surpasses that unit in all its attributes.

Congratulations! Yes, the Berkeley Reference is pretty awesome, but in my and Peter A.'s opinion it is not a match for the dCS Rossini DAC (I plan to buy the Rossini Player):

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...le-Redbook-CD-afternoon-at-Goodwin-s-High-End

And certainly, your playback must be even better than that.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The September issue of HFNRR has a review of the new DCS Rossini CD/SACD Transport and the Rossini DAC V2 with an Outstanding Product rating.
The Transport uses a D & M mechanism which I am not familiar with but it met DCS's requirements and the DAC will stream all the main players including MQA.
What struck me was the Lab Report where they compared the pairing with their reference DCS Vivaldi One and found it "to be very,very close indeed in performance."
RRP for the Transport is £16.5k and £17k for the DAC, Looks a much better option though more expensive option than the CD only Rossini at £20k The DAC will also double as a preamp connected to a power amp or active speakers so a neat solution for streamer systems.

Reactions: jfrech

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks awesome.
Consistent reaction in both reviews which is always a good guide. When I read the HFNRR review I recalled that DCS had moved to a Denon mechanism so I presume the D&M is part of Denon.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing