New Home, New Home Audio Questions

Cubbs

Jul 16, 2020
Hopefully this is the correct forum, I apologize if it is not. I'm new here, so, hi!

I was hoping to get some advice from any of you audio wizards on receivers. I just moved into a new home, and it has the following 4 zones (possibly 3?, see below regarding the kitchen). All of the speaker connections are in the same place, in the Family Room zone. I guess my question is, what is the best route to go?

I've read that sometimes 2 separate, 2 zone receivers is the way to go, as you can get more power this way and is usually cheaper. Aesthetically it'd be ideal if they were the same receiver, or at least have the same appearance (as I understand it, manufacturers use the same look across their model line), but I've read that having two of the exact same receiver in one room can cause issues with the remotes? As the receivers would use the same IR frequency?

Only the Family Room will have video and need surround, so I technically don't (I don't think?) need as powerful of a receiver for the one that isn't controlling the Family Room. Referencing my comment above about manufactures using the same look across their model line, if I did go with a cheaper, less powerful version, would that also have the same IR frequency as the more powerful one?

The Kitchen is directly next to the Family Room with an open floor plan, so there is really no need for it to be a separate zone unless it helps with the family room setup. If I did treat it as one big zone, could a single zone receiver host 7 speakers without using the 2 Kitchen ones for surround sound?

The Rooms (Zones) are:

Kitchen (2 speakers)
Family Room (2F, 2R, 1C)
Master Bedroom (4 speakers)
Deck (2 speakers)

All of the speakers are built into the drywall ceiling, with the exception of the deck, which has 2 exterior speakers mounted to the side of the exterior wall.

I was looking at Denon AVR-S750H for the (2) 2 zone method, but again, feel the remote thing would be an issue? Regarding the 4 zone, I was looking at the Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A2080, but the power per channel seems lower than the Denon? That being said, if there's something better out there in the same price range, please let me know.

Obviously I'm very new to this, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing