New idea for Bass mode treatment

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I assume the summed response could be predicted given enough frequency and phase response measurements taken over a sufficiently large area for each bass source, but I could be wrong.
Perhaps, depending on the number and distribution of the measurements but not as efficiently as directly correlated data, especially as the number of sources increases.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Dennis Foley

Sep 11, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
www.acousticfields.com
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that bass modes occur when 2 parallel walls reflect bass energy to/from to create nulls and peaks for a specific frequency depending upon the distance between the walls. Historically, absorbers have been the most common method to tackle the bass anomalies. BUT, what if we took a different approach, much like what is done in auditoriums and symphony halls. Instead of absorbtion, we change the underlying cause (parallel walls). And, instead of just skewing one wall, we create a very diverse surface that scatters the bass sound waves much like a diffusor.

So, I stumble across a product call Woodskin. It comes in several sizes that can be turned / twisted to create the diverse surface that would deflect bass sound waves in multiple direcdtions that would minimize room bass modes. I was thinking of placing a large woodskin surface on the front wall including 2 corners. See the attached photos that give you an idea of how flexible this product can be used.

Imagine that the front wall has Woodskin covering floor to ceiling in one corner. At the floor level, the woodskin in the corner would be close to the front wall surface. Then, as the woodskin traverses to the ceiling, the woodskin would undulate away from the front wall. The woodskin would also move toward the other corner, so we get about 50% coverage on the front wall.

Thinking out loud, there might be unfavorable scattering that would be hard to control. But, would this still be better than room modes.

Please let us know your thoughts. this stuff isn't cheap. It runs $75 - $125 / SF. I would put rock wool in the space between the woodskin and the front wall.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that bass modes occur when 2 parallel walls reflect bass energy to/from to create nulls and peaks for a specific frequency depending upon the distance between the walls. Historically, absorbers have been the most common method to tackle the bass anomalies. BUT, what if we took a different approach, much like what is done in auditoriums and symphony halls. Instead of absorbtion, we change the underlying cause (parallel walls). And, instead of just skewing one wall, we create a very diverse surface that scatters the bass sound waves much like a diffusor.

So, I stumble across a product call Woodskin. It comes in several sizes that can be turned / twisted to create the diverse surface that would deflect bass sound waves in multiple direcdtions that would minimize room bass modes. I was thinking of placing a large woodskin surface on the front wall including 2 corners. See the attached photos that give you an idea of how flexible this product can be used.

Imagine that the front wall has Woodskin covering floor to ceiling in one corner. At the floor level, the woodskin in the corner would be close to the front wall surface. Then, as the woodskin traverses to the ceiling, the woodskin would undulate away from the front wall. The woodskin would also move toward the other corner, so we get about 50% coverage on the front wall.

Thinking out loud, there might be unfavorable scattering that would be hard to control. But, would this still be better than room modes.

Please let us know your thoughts. this stuff isn't cheap. It runs $75 - $125 / SF. I would put rock wool in the space between the woodskin and the front wall.

Do not confuse middle and high-frequency reflections with low-frequency pressure waves. Waves and ray energy are completely different in form and treatment requirements. Low-frequency energy is pressure based while middle and high-frequency energy is based upon air movement across a surface area.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Do not confuse middle and high-frequency reflections with low-frequency pressure waves. Waves and ray energy are completely different in form and treatment requirements. Low-frequency energy is pressure based while middle and high-frequency energy is based upon air movement across a surface area.
That is an interesting and informative addition to the thread.

There has been some chatter in various audio forums lately that the phrase "pressurizing a room" should be replaced with "energizing a room" instead.

The contention here I believe is that bass doesn't really pressurize, it energizes as in modes/nodes found throughout various parts of the room.

Is there any merit to this attempt at rephrasing what happens in a room in regards to bass energy and it's distribution?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing