New Magico speaker - new M5?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I guess microstrip and I are in the same camp in your myopic - viewing eyes. You're delusional and a simplifier. Looks like you don't know better..

I do sympathize with the inability to articulate an argument, an obvious trait of yours, much like the lack of physics knowledge. But it is what is.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Settle down fellas...remember this is just a hobby, not a Presidential debate! Here is some good advice from Paul Hogan :D ..

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I do sympathize with the inability to articulate an argument, an obvious trait of yours, much like the lack of physics knowledge. But it is what is.
I don't know what crawled up you and your buddy's ass but its attitudes and comments like yours that drive down attendance in this forum. I initially simply asked what data you had to back that aluminum is not as pistonic as Be and Diamond and you two go off like god's gift to the audio world. If these are qualities of founding members, count me out.

Steve and Ron - is this the attitude / behavior you strive for? No wonder Agon and Anirvana seem more crowded than ever, truly a shame...

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Here's a trait of yours - a big mouth, condescending keyboard warrior vying for attention. Here's a bit of advice from someone with decades of technical education and experience - get a life and a decent pair of speakers that were manufactured after the Regan era, until then shut it know-it-all. How's that for articulating?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I initially simply asked what data you had to back that aluminum is not as pistonic as Be and Diamond and you two go off like god's gift to the audio world. If these are qualities of founding members, count me out.

How about you stop questioning people and start telling us what YOU think is going. It's called 'positive contribution'

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Here's a trait of yours - a big mouth, condescending keyboard warrior vying for attention. Here's a bit of advice from someone with decades of technical education and experience - get a life and a decent pair of speakers that were manufactured after the Regan era, until then shut it know-it-all. How's that for articulating?

Amateur advice from inarticulate folks stand the chance of going nowhere. You done?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I did ;)
BTW, If you don’t have anything of substance to add, you know like empirical data etc, you don’t have to add anything...

No, I do not have anything to add. Manufacturers use a few selected technical aspects to promote their products, but never exhaustively or supplying data enought to feed an informed debate. We just can then select those we subjectively prefer and feel good.

But I will be happy to learn about your subjective findings and preferences.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Amateur advice from inarticulate folks stand the chance of going nowhere. You done?
LOL, yep I'm done oh guru of audio and articulation expert...

But please come back with a reply since you're one of those with an endless need to get the last word in. Waiting with baited breath....

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
But I will be happy to learn about your subjective findings and preferences.

Fair enough, I hope it is not a trap, one per thread is enough ;).
Although I find subjective finding useless, unless, like in the Magico tweeter case, backed up with objective data (to a point, I did not see any THD measurement on the M3).
I have not heard an overall better tweeter implementation then the one in the Magico M3 (I assume the M6 and the new M2 as well). I have heard just about anything else that is out there. It is not to say that there are no other good tweeters that I like, in fact I like many (Ribbons, Diamond and plasma - NOT aluminum), but none seems to bland properly, for obvious, and sometime not so obvious, reasons (dispersion pattern, materials blending, bad implantation etc).
I totally don’t get/like silk domes, true they are indeed less obtrusive, but also they are not transparent, and not dynamic and not as extended. They are basically not doing their job, which can be better then a tweeter that is doing a bad job. It was clearly the case when Wilson switched to silk from Titanium. It is less obtrusive, but I missed a lot of the qualities the Ti tweeter had. Either one is not satisfactory to me. Silk domes also harden up at higher volume. Listening to soprano at realistic volume can be painful .

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Although I find subjective finding useless, unless, like in the Magico tweeter case, backed up with objective data (to a point, I did not see any THD measurement on the M3).
I have not heard an overall better tweeter implementation then the one in the Magico M3 (I assume the M6 and the new M2 as well). I have heard just about anything else that is out there. It is not to say that there are no other good tweeters that I like, in fact I like many (Ribbons, Diamond and plasma - NOT aluminum), but none seems to bland properly, for obvious, and sometime not so obvious, reasons (dispersion pattern, materials blending, bad implantation etc).
I totally don’t get/like silk domes, true they are indeed less obtrusive, but also they are not transparent, and not dynamic and not as extended. They are basically not doing their job, which can be better then a tweeter that is doing a bad job. It was clearly the case when Wilson switched to silk from Titanium. It is less obtrusive, but I missed a lot of the qualities the Ti tweeter had. Either one is not satisfactory to me. Silk domes also harden up at higher volume. Listening to soprano at realistic volume can be painful .

All of what you posted seems to indicate that either you have never heard a silk dome in a correctly designed enclosure; or you have perhaps not heard what the old fashioned and now completely outclassed Ti dome lacks in comparison. Either way, I would highly recommend that you try and re-listen to some of the better designs that utilize the silk dome and then come back with your ‘revised’ impressions. Wilson went away from the ‘ringing’ titanium dome for a very good reason, and IMHO, they were extremely smart to do so.YMMV.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
All of what you posted seems to indicate that either you have never heard a silk dome in a correctly designed enclosure; or you have perhaps not heard what the old fashioned and now completely outclassed Ti dome lacks in comparison. Either way, I would highly recommend that you try and re-listen to some of the better designs that utilize the silk dome and then come back with your ‘revised’ impressions. Wilson went away from the ‘ringing’ titanium dome for a very good reason, and IMHO, they were extremely smart to do so.YMMV.

So which one is it, "...you never heard silk dome", "revise your impression" or YMMV :confused:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
So which one is it, "...you never heard silk dome", "revise your impression" or YMMV :confused:
It’s all of the above. You have an impression...that impression is an opinion. Your opinion is based on what...? Either false supposition, or what I stated before.Lets give you the benefit of the doubt and state it is the latter. As a Magico fanboy, your YMMV will always be the case. Next;)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
It is also exceptional on the S Mk2 line. Not quite as good as the M, but MUCH better than any silk tweeter out there.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Peter, that’s not the point. Cannata is claiming that the old titanium dome sourced from Focal is superior in his opinion to a silk dome...and the new silk dome that is utilized now in the current Wilson’s. Just ain’t so, imho. Plus, his opinion of silk domes is just that, his opinion, not an overall fact, which he forgets to mention. My opinion obviously differs from his in regards to this issue, he is entitled to his, I am entitled to mine. That is the point. Now Cannata wants to try and explain why as a Magico fanboy, all else is inferior. I’m not buying into it. Are you?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Unfortunately I can not read any valid subjective opinion on your post - only the usual great love of yours for Magico, many etc's, etc and bashing the other 99.99% of the existing speakers. :(

Reactions: DaveyF

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter, that’s not the point. Cannata is claiming that the old titanium dome sourced from Focal is superior in his opinion to a silk dome...and the new silk dome that is utilized now in the current Wilson’s. Just ain’t so, imho. Plus, his opinion of silk domes is just that, his opinion, not an overall fact, which he forgets to mention. My opinion obviously differs from his in regards to this issue, he is entitled to his, I am entitled to mine. That is the point. Now Cannata wants to try and explain why as a Magico fanboy, all else is inferior. I’m not buying into it. Are you?

Davey, buying into what exactly? You make the point well that we all have our opinions. I happen to like the tweeters on Magico's M series of speakers. I have not heard enough alternatives to make any general claims about best tweeter types. I just don't have the listening experience.

The tweeters on my old Eggleston Rosa and Magico Mini 2 were also quite good. I happen to think that the Q3 tweeter, much discussed and criticised as being harsh and bright, is also quite good. I hear none of the often made criticisms about that berrylium tweeter in my system as currently set up. Ron Resnick was even not driven out of the room by my Q3s with SS amps. The Q3 tweeter is very extended and low in distortion. I just think the newer models with the diamond coating are even better.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, buying into what exactly? You make the point well that we all have our opinions. I happen to like the tweeters on Magico's M series of speakers. I have not heard enough alternatives to make any general claims about best tweeter types. I just don't have the listening experience.

The tweeters on my old Eggleston Rosa and Magico Mini 2 were also quite good. I happen to think that the Q3 tweeter, much discussed and criticised as being harsh and bright, is also quite good. I hear none of the often made criticisms about that berrylium tweeter in my system as currently set up. Ron Resnick was even not driven out of the room by my Q3s with SS amps. The Q3 tweeter is very extended and low in distortion. I just think the newer models with the diamond coating are even better.

Peter, I am asking if you are buying into Cannata's dictum, that is that all silk domes are flawed in relation to metal domes. To that, he is stating that the new silk dome in the Wilson models is inferior to their previous tweeter, a hard titanium dome. Like Micro states above, Cannata is as usual bashing all other speakers that are NOT Magico's. I presume (know??) that you have a far more open mind than that?
We are not discussing whether Magico's have a decent tweeter or not ...at least I am not. Simply whether a hard titanium, or beryllium dome, is always superior to a silk dome. My point, that Cannata wants to try and dismiss, is that this aspect will depend entirely on the implementation of the particular tweeter, and has nothing to do with the fact that one is always inherently superior to the other; like he wants us to believe. ( although I have to say, IME, in most cases I prefer the silk dome to the beryllium dome...but that's to my ears...and this is why I finished my first post on this matter with the term YMMV.)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing