New Magnepan 1.7i speakers

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just picked up a pair of these for another system.

Long story short.... I hope:

Long time Maggie fan, with MG IIa speakers as my first set back in the late '70's. I've owned about 6 pair since, especially after every divorce!
Fast forward to this past week. The Pacific NW Audio Society was having their meeting at Definitive Audio in Bellevue. I told the wife that I wanted to listen to a pair of .7 speakers for the upstairs system. She really liked them... but not loved them. They didn't match the décor and wanted more "color"! As we were leaving, she spotted a pair of Maggies that had bright red aluminum trim with gray cloth. She instantly fell in love! A little bigger than the .7 speakers, but she just had to have them! Damn I love my wife!!

These are the newer .i model. I guess from what I've read that the only change was the crossover and maybe some tape? I really haven't seen any reviews of these, so I'll be doing a review for Stereomojo. Now I just need a beefy amp to push them! I'll put them down in the studio and pair them with the Pass XA-100.5 amps to burn in.

Magnepan.JPG

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Bruce,

Can't wait for your opinion/review. I am getting the Magnepan bug too. The 3.7i and Pass XA100.8 won best of show at Axpona 2015.

I am sure the 1.7i will be amazing too.

Best Sound (for the money): Magnepan 3.7i driven by Pass Labs and sourced by exaSound. The most natural and realistic sound at the show.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just picked up a pair of these for another system.

Long story short.... I hope:

Long time Maggie fan, with MG IIa speakers as my first set back in the late '70's. I've owned about 6 pair since, especially after every divorce!
Fast forward to this past week. The Pacific NW Audio Society was having their meeting at Definitive Audio in Bellevue. I told the wife that I wanted to listen to a pair of .7 speakers for the upstairs system. She really liked them... but not loved them. They didn't match the décor and wanted more "color"! As we were leaving, she spotted a pair of Maggies that had bright red aluminum trim with gray cloth. She instantly fell in love! A little bigger than the .7 speakers, but she just had to have them! Damn I love my wife!!

These are the newer .i model. I guess from what I've read that the only change was the crossover and maybe some tape? I really haven't seen any reviews of these, so I'll be doing a review for Stereomojo. Now I just need a beefy amp to push them! I'll put them down in the studio and pair them with the Pass XA-100.5 amps to burn in.

View attachment 22264
Bruce, by coincidence, I will be auditioning these next week sometime.

I am growing a bit tired of boxes and dynamic drivers.

In general, how close to the back wall can they be?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just noticed lately on the Magnepan website, there are a lot fewer options for trim colors. I really loved a Blue set of 30.7 speakers I saw some time ago, but they don't offer it. Looks like the 1.7i that I have does not come in the cool Red Aluminum trim any more.

Attachments

• Magnepan.JPG
    Magnepan.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 5

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing