New Mcintosh MC 901 $35k

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Do you like Mac?
Do yo like tubes?
Can you 300watts of power from duo mono?
Do you have$35k lying around?
Did you buy a solid state map merely because your speker is such a beast?
Maybe your dream has materialized.

mcintoshlabs.com

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I've read it is 35k for a pair.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
From what I have gathered this is an interesting approach. At least from my knowledge Mac has never been k own as a trailblazer. With the possible exception of their speakers. Their forte has been the bullet proof execution of the tried and true. Their speaker is a notable exception.
Audiophiles have long sought the marriage of solid state and tube amplification. Such as my favorite amp,the Moscode 402au. When you mix anything you inevitably lose some flavor of the originals.
Many audiophiles have tried to take advantage by using thier favorite tube emp for the tweeter/midrange and solid state
the bass. This approach has often proven to be very satisfying
While I struggle.to recognize the benefits of bi-wireing, many swear
You get Macs ' usual bullet proof construction tion and company stability. Coupled with massive tube and ss power. Versatility. True biwiring. Mac saves you the trouble of having to hunt down a compatible tube amp or vice versa
There is nothing to prevent you from using the tubes on the bottom and the ss on top. Or using one section full range.
This is a great concept that is destined to be imitated. Time will tell if the execution will matc the brilliance of the concept. Many speakers could benefit from this approach.
For example the Magico M2 by which I was so impressed at this year's CAF. Magico prefers prefers hefty application but could benefit from tubes.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ok.40k pounds in the UK. $35k in US. What a bargain.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
From what I have gathered this is an interesting approach. At least from my knowledge Mac has never been k own as a trailblazer. With the possible exception of their speakers. Their forte has been the bullet proof execution of the tried and true. Their speaker is a notable exception.
Audiophiles have long sought the marriage of solid state and tube amplification. Such as my favorite amp,the Moscode 402au. When you mix anything you inevitably lose some flavor of the originals.
Many audiophiles have tried to take advantage by using thier favorite tube emp for the tweeter/midrange and solid state
the bass. This approach has often proven to be very satisfying
While I struggle.to recognize the benefits of bi-wireing, many swear
You get Macs ' usual bullet proof construction tion and company stability. Coupled with massive tube and ss power. Versatility. True biwiring. Mac saves you the trouble of having to hunt down a compatible tube amp or vice versa
There is nothing to prevent you from using the tubes on the bottom and the ss on top. Or using one section full range.
This is a great concept that is destined to be imitated. Time will tell if the execution will matc the brilliance of the concept. Many speakers could benefit from this approach.
For example the Magico M2 by which I was so impressed at this year's CAF. Magico prefers prefers hefty application but could benefit from tubes.

Not sure how this could help Magico speakers. They are not biwirable.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks. Maybe Alon would do a special order or you could do an after market modofication.

Last edited:

Golucid

Jun 11, 2015
Nevada
The physical design is an interesting look. Even so, I do still prefer the look of my MC2301s.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
https___hypebeast.com_image_2019_12_mcintosh-mc901-dual-mono-amplifier-release-001.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
https___hypebeast.com_image_2019_12_mcintosh-mc901-dual-mono-amplifier-release-004.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
https___hypebeast.com_image_2019_12_mcintosh-mc901-dual-mono-amplifier-release-003.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Perhaps paired with the Martin Logan Neolith..

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
  • Power Guard® that monitors and adjusts the input signal in the 600 Watt solid state amplifier section in real time, then makes unobtrusive adjustments to prevent harsh sounding distortion and potential speaker damaging clipping.
  • Power Guard Screen Grid Sensor™ (SGS). The 300 Watt vacuum tube amplifier section of the MC901 breaks new ground as it's our first amplifier to feature our new Power Guard SGS™ technology. Power Guard SGS helps prevent premature vacuum tube failure by monitoring the screen grid current in the KT88 output vacuum tubes. If the current becomes too high, a circuit in Power Guard SGS is activated which then dynamically attenuates the input signal in real time to keep the vacuum tubes operating at safe levels.
  • Sentry Monitor™ observes the output current and shuts the amplifier off if it ever exceeds safe limits.
  • Quad Balanced design that cancels virtually all noise and distortion that may have crept into the audio signal.
  • Power Control that can send power on/off signals to other connected McIntosh components for easy system power up and shutdown.
  • Our patented, gold-plated Solid Cinch™ speaker binding posts that easily and securely attach the speaker cables.
  • McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™ that are connected to advanced high current output transistors efficiently cool the solid state amplifier section.
  • Our Power Management System that will turn the entire unit off after a set amount of time when no input signal has been detected.

Although the MC901 may look different than any McIntosh product before it, a quick glance reveals signature McIntosh design cues. The top is highlighted by a series of diagrams printed on glass that outline the basic circuitry and specifications of the unit, along with a glass nameplate trimmed with a circular aluminum ring that's finished to match the front panel endcaps. The sides are adorned with vintage McIntosh-styled die cast aluminum name badges. Two classic McIntosh knobs are located on the front of the polished stainless steel chassis, and direct LED backlighting illuminates the DualView meter, McIntosh logo and the lettering on the black glass front panel. The uncompromising level of fit and finish that is expected of a McIntosh product completes the MC901. It can be combined with a variety of preamplifiers, turntables, CD players, media streamers and other specialty products to form a complete home audio system. Contact your local dealer to learn more about this one-of-a-kind home audio amplifier.

• Specifications

Electronic Specifications
    • Power Output per Channel Solid State section: 600 Watts @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms
      Vacuum Tube section: 300 Watts @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms
    • Number of Channels 1
    • Total Harmonic Distortion Solid State section: 0.005% maximum harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 milliwatts to rated power, 20Hz to 20,000Hz

Vacuum Tube section: 0.5% maximum harmonic distortion at any power level from 250 milliwatts to rated power, 20Hz to 20,000Hz
    • S/N below rated output Solid State section: 122dB
      Vacuum Tube section: 112dB
    • Dynamic Headroom Solid State section: 2.5dB
      Vacuum Tube section: 1.2dB
    • Damping Factor Solid State section: >40
      Vacuum Tube section: >18
    • Rated Power Band Solid State section: 20Hz to 20kHz
      Vacuum Tube section: 20Hz to 20kHz
    • Frequency Response Solid State section:
      +0, -0.25dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz
      +0, -3dB from 10Hz to 100,000Hz

Vacuum Tube section:
      +0, -0.5dB from 20Hz to 20,000Hz
      +0, -3dB from 10Hz to 70,000Hz
    Control
    • Remote Power Control Yes
    • Multi-Channel DB25 Cable N/A
    Connectivity
    • Speaker Binding Post Type Patented Solid Cinch™ Speaker Binding Posts
    General Specifications
    • Circuit Configuration Solid State section: Quad Balanced
      Vacuum Tube section: Unity Coupled
    • Circuit Design Solid State and Vacuum Tube
    • Mono Bridge No
    • Mono Parallel No
    • Output Type Solid State section: Autoformer™
      Vacuum Tube section: Unity Coupled Output Transformer
    • Meters DualView™ Power Output Meter
    • Meter Light Switch Yes
    • Balanced Input 3 (1 Solid State, 1 Vacuum Tube, 1 Composite)
    • Front Panel Glass
    • Illumination Direct LED
    • Chassis Style Polished stainless steel & black painted steel
    Weights & Dimensions
    • Dimensions (W x H x D) 17-1/2" (44.45cm) x 13-1/4" (33.7cm) (including feet) x 29-1/2" (74.9m)
    • Weight 180 lbs (81.6 kg)
    • Shipping Weight 200 lbs (90.7 kg)

Reactions: HughP3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing