new model Nina, tube tape head preamp

Tube Nirvana

Oct 22, 2015
Brookings, Oregon
www.erhard-audio.com
After about 2 years in the making, we have finally released our model Nina, tube tape head preamp.
This really is an excellent sounding tube tape head preamp, and a real and viable alternative to your reel to reel decks OEM playback preamp.
I will not go into a lot of details here, please visit our website, click here, for all the tech details and pricing.
This is the wood chassis version, the 2U standard width and 8" deep rack mount chassis will be available in a couple of weeks or so.

Nina-w.jpg Nina-w 1.jpg

JEJEJEJ

Jan 1, 2021
I need a recording preamp. Does your unit offer recording as well as playback, or only playback?

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Hi and welcome to the fray!

Just checked your website and only the rack mounted unit is shown with no pricing.
How do you allow adjustment for HF (and maybe LF) equalization?

Best

Charles

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
I like the fact there are now many options on the market. I hope more are coming, as many people feel this is the best way of listening to your prerecorded tapes.

Victor Khomenko
Balanced Audio Technology

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I like the fact there are now many options on the market. I hope more are coming, as many people feel this is the best way of listening to your prerecorded tapes.

Victor Khomenko

Hello Victor,

I agree!

I will be surveying the available tape preamp options later this year for a fully-reconditioned Studer A820.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Hi Ron,

The A820 is one of those models that will greatly benefit from such a step. It has fantastic transport and heads, but its audio electonics is overburdened with conveniences and features. I am still trying to win a lottery, but at this time my two main transports are the A80R with Sepia direct output cards, and the A810 with direct internal wiring.

Victor

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Victor.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There is the Merrill, the Doshi, the Bottlehead, the King Cello, the de Havilland, I think, and this Nina.

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Head preamp also makes an interesting project for a DIY. Many available phono stages can be modified to provide tape EQ.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Hello Victor,

I agree!

I will be surveying the available tape preamp options later this year for a fully-reconditioned Studer A820.
Congratulations Ron on the A820. They're becoming so rare that I doubt I'll ever hear one at this point. Also extremely expensive I'm sure. Have you started a tape collection yet?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations Ron on the A820. They're becoming so rare that I doubt I'll ever hear one at this point. Also extremely expensive I'm sure. Have you started a tape collection yet?

Thank you. I actually had two A820s. Unfortunately, due to the stock market crash last March, I had to sell possibly the lowest mileage, most perfect condition A820 Mk. II (with black wood trim) in the world. It reputedly was one of Mariah Carey's personal tape machines. I intended to keep this machine stock (with only capacitors and bearings replaced) basically as a nearly new-in-box museum piece, and to compare directly stock audio electronics with outboard tape preamplifiers. Here is a photo of this machine the day it left my house:

595A99D3-4842-4DA3-809A-F556027EB565.jpeg

Charlie Bolois, of Vertigo Recording in Burbank, California, is fully reconditioning an A820 I purchased from Ki Choi. That machine will be modified to optimize playback with an external tape preamplifier. The only open question is which preamp to get.

Yes, I started a tape collection, and it was completed in 2019. My entire tape project was narrow, and focused on a particular 30ips safety copy collection I was able to purchase.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you. I actually had two A820s. Unfortunately, due to the stock market crash last March, I had to sell possibly the lowest mileage, most perfect condition A820 Mk. II (with black wood trim) in the world. It reputedly was one of Mariah Carey's personal tape machines. I intended to keep this machine stock (with only capacitors and bearings replaced) basically as a nearly new-in-box museum piece, and to compare directly stock audio electronics with outboard tape preamplifiers. Here is a photo of this machine the day it left my house:

View attachment 73800

Charlie Bolois, of Vertigo Recording in Burbank, California, is fully reconditioning an A820 I purchased from Ki Choi. That machine will be modified to optimize playback with an external tape preamplifier. The only open question is which preamp to get.

Yes, I started a tape collection, and it was completed in 2019. My entire tape project was narrow, and focused on a particular 30ips safety copy collection I was able to purchase.

You can get the A820 power supply and preamplifier cards and have a "standard" preamplifier card custom built for little money compared with the cost of the A820. I bought the cage and all the Studer cards for an A80 project, but it is idling - it is why I still keep two A80's ...

BTW, I am looking to sell one A80 machine that I got for spares, but I never disassembled as I found it can easily be put in service again. Anyone with plenty of free time can send me a PM, but due to logistics I am only able to ship in the CE.

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I had to sell possibly the lowest mileage, most perfect condition A820 Mk. II (with black wood trim) in the world. It reputedly was one of Mariah Carey's personal tape machines.

Oh boy, that really must have hurt. I can imagine it being in a museum. I feel the same as you, a very rare piece of equipment should be kept pristine and in museum quality. Like a rare expensive car.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
Hi Ron,

The A820 is one of those models that will greatly benefit from such a step. It has fantastic transport and heads, but its audio electonics is overburdened with conveniences and features. I am still trying to win a lottery, but at this time my two main transports are the A80R with Sepia direct output cards, and the A810 with direct internal wiring.

Victor

Yup, I guess the rest of us have to soldier on with just an A80R.

srs148

Jan 3, 2016

Victor Khomenko
hi Victor,

I'm sure those who can afford it would love to see a BAT tube or solid state tape pre as a purchase option. Since you have two working prototypes, what are your thoughts about bringing such a product to market?

-Steve

Foxbat

Jun 11, 2020
Hi Steve,

We have had some discussions on the subject over the years. The first such such device was built over 20 years ago and it worked well, but back then there was no general availability of quality prerecorded material. With the R2R revival the interest in such a product reappeared, but never to the point of actually doing it. The market is still very small... we felt we would probably sell 100 of our phono stages for one head pre, so its development was not justified - for us. It would involve mainly the industrial design and interface, but we already have our hands full with other projects.

At this time I have three such units of different vintage in my system, the oldest one due to an upgrade. :)

Victor

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing