New Nagra Classic Phono Stage announced

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I've already ordered mine. I've loved my Nagra VPS for over 10 years. I've demo'd several other phono stages over the years but none could displace the Nagra. Some did things better in some areas...the Nagra VPS always seemed to chug along beautifully.

See here for announcement info:

https://www.nagraaudio.com/newsletter-august-2020/

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I've already ordered mine. I've loved my Nagra VPS for over 10 years. I've demo'd several other phono stages over the years but none could displace the Nagra. Some did things better in some areas...the Nagra VPS always seemed to chug along beautifully.

There is a dc input at the back.
An upgrade path of adding an external Nagra powersupply?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I wonder why they didn't just call it the HD phono.?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

The CLASSIC PHONO features a new generation built-in power supply that offers great results. However you can take it to another level by adding the Nagra CLASSIC PSU. The Nagra PSU is derived from our HD Generation power supplies and features many technical advances that allow for an amazing sound reproduction

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi XV-1,
There must be a future Nagra HD Phonoamp?
:D

Reactions: jfrech and XV-1

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I wonder why they didn't just call it the HD phono.?

Haha, because they have a HD Phono coming out down the road...

Reactions: XV-1

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Yes, I however already have the Classic Power Supply, I'm using it on my Nagra VPS and Grand Prix Monaco motor controller. On both the phono stage and the TT motor controller was a big change, lower noise, more resolution, better organization...just better.

Reactions: CKKeung

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
Yes, I however already have the Classic Power Supply, I'm using it on my Nagra VPS and Grand Prix Monaco motor controller. On both the phono stage and the TT motor controller was a big change, lower noise, more resolution, better organization...just better.
Interesting.......

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Interesting.......

I expected the Classic Power Supply to be better on the Nagra VPS. What I didn't expect was how much lower noise and better sound via the Grand Prix Audio TT motor controller. I tried 3 setups:

1) my original setup with the Monaco TT controller into a Transparent PIMM power conditioner.
2) the Monaco TT controller into a Transparent Opus power cord and Opus conditioner (borrowed off my dCS Vivaldi transport)
3) custom umbilical made by my dealer/Nagra from the Classic power supply to the TT controller

#2 was better than #1. Some lower noise buy more weight to the music and somewhat more resolution
#3 beat #2 handily, much lower noise, much more clarity, some loss of weight but overall better than 2 and much better than 1

It has me wondering if I should ask Transparent to custom make a umbilical to match my other cabling. I think the culprit here is the Monaco power supply which gets removed in scenario 3. It's a plastic switch mode (says made in china medical grade) 12v supply.

Reactions: tima

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
John, it never fails to amaze me that such SOTA gear like the Monaco, and any number of other top-tier components, costing $spendy, comes w cheap as chips nasty SMPS. I've swapped the cheap wall wart for my tt motor (at a price level way below GPA) for dedicated LPS, and the change has been wholly positive. I'm about to order the SOTA Condor motor, and this too will get it's own LPS.

Reactions: Zeotrope

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Spirit, so true. Not sure why I didn't try this years ago...

Reactions: PierreB

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The truth seems to be many designers genuinely don't hear the difference. But it seems the end users do.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
... the Monaco power supply which gets removed in scenario 3. It's a plastic switch mode (says made in china medical grade) 12v supply.
Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT employs a smps!? :eek:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020

The new Nagra Phono is awesome and I am struggling to order it. Currently, I own the VPS together with the MPS. I also tried different other phono stages like the Pass Labs XP25, but the VPS was always the better one in my system.

Did you have the opportunity to hear the new Nagra Phono before your order? What are your impressions? I am quite curious...maybe this helps with my decision...

Did you ever compare the VPS with the CH Precision P1?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The new Nagra Phono is awesome and I am struggling to order it. Currently, I own the VPS together with the MPS. I also tried different other phono stages like the Pass Labs XP25, but the VPS was always the better one in my system.

Did you have the opportunity to hear the new Nagra Phono before your order? What are your impressions? I am quite curious...maybe this helps with my decision...

Did you ever compare the VPS with the CH Precision P1?

Hi Mini-Me,

No, I took a leap of faith. I have just loved my Nagra VPS for nearly 10 years, plus like my Nagra amp and preamp so I just ordered it :). The Classic Phono stage is shipping to my dealer next week so I will get to hear it soon and provide feedback vs my VPS. So please give me a week or to longer on impressions.

I have 2 friends with CH Precision P1's. I know they are also fantastic. I have heard them, but can't really compare because different systems (and way diff price points that our VPS's)

As a side note, I to had a Nagra MPS, I upgraded to the Classic Power Supply...more to come :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I expected the Classic Power Supply to be better on the Nagra VPS. What I didn't expect was how much lower noise and better sound via the Grand Prix Audio TT motor controller. I tried 3 setups:

1) my original setup with the Monaco TT controller into a Transparent PIMM power conditioner.
2) the Monaco TT controller into a Transparent Opus power cord and Opus conditioner (borrowed off my dCS Vivaldi transport)
3) custom umbilical made by my dealer/Nagra from the Classic power supply to the TT controller

#2 was better than #1. Some lower noise buy more weight to the music and somewhat more resolution
#3 beat #2 handily, much lower noise, much more clarity, some loss of weight but overall better than 2 and much better than 1

It has me wondering if I should ask Transparent to custom make a umbilical to match my other cabling. I think the culprit here is the Monaco power supply which gets removed in scenario 3. It's a plastic switch mode (says made in china medical grade) 12v supply.

Thanks for this John. Very very interesting. If I remember correctly you work with ne plus ultra. How long did it take to get the custom umbilical made for Nagra PS to the Monaco controller? Thanks!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for this John. Very very interesting. If I remember correctly you work with ne plus ultra. How long did it take to get the custom umbilical made for Nagra PS to the Monaco controller? Thanks!

Not long, he ordered a normal Nagra umbilical (which I think ??? is a Purist Audio sourced cable) and removed a limo and replaced with a GPA connector ordered from GPA. Feel free to reach out to Casey. PM me if you need his email id....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing