New Nagra Classic Phono Stage announced

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
Hi Mini-Me,

No, I took a leap of faith. I have just loved my Nagra VPS for nearly 10 years, plus like my Nagra amp and preamp so I just ordered it :). The Classic Phono stage is shipping to my dealer next week so I will get to hear it soon and provide feedback vs my VPS. So please give me a week or to longer on impressions.

I have 2 friends with CH Precision P1's. I know they are also fantastic. I have heard them, but can't really compare because different systems (and way diff price points that our VPS's)

As a side note, I to had a Nagra MPS, I upgraded to the Classic Power Supply...more to come :)

Hi jfrech,

thanks a lot for sharing your impressions. I am currently in negotations with my Nagra dealer...maybe he will trade-in my VPS/MPS... The pictures of the internals of the new Nagra phono are impressing. A completely new design.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi jfrech,

thanks a lot for sharing your impressions. I am currently in negotations with my Nagra dealer...maybe he will trade-in my VPS/MPS... The pictures of the internals of the new Nagra phono are impressing. A completely new design.

Good luck ! I was happy with my trade in price :)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My dealer just called. My Nagra Classic Phono stage has arrived. He'll be here in about 2 hours to unbox, hook up and enjoy !

Getting the last few spins in on my soon to be departed, beloved Nagra VPS. Over 12 years with this phono stage !

I'll post some first thoughts on the Classic Phono in the am-I'll change my signature now :)

Reactions: dan31

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Excited to get your first impressions. I’m guessing you will use the same gain and load for your cartridge. I’m guessing break in might be a bit of a bear given the size of the capacitors and transformers.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Excited to get your first impressions. I’m guessing you will use the same gain and load for your cartridge. I’m guessing break in might be a bit of a bear given the size of the capacitors and transformers.

Yes I am wondering the same regarding break-in. My HD Preamp sounded good - but a little hesitant brand new. Took about 30 days to really open up and have it's "beauty"

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So it's been on now, playing for about 2 hours. The Nagra VFS didn't make it, and from my time with the VFS with the VPS, it's a big deal (maybe another week for my VFS). The owners manual states "several hundred hours of break in". It uses the same loading card arrangement the VPS does. In fact some of my special made cards for the VPS, I just kept b/c I can use them here. Also, my Transparent cables need to go back to be re-tuned-which again can be important.

And all the cables got jiggled around pretty good-guessing they are settling down about now.

First it has more gain, so volume control is lower (about -5db less I'd guess)

All this said, SMOKES. Dynamics, more involvement, just more there there in every way.

This isn't a small change. Let me settle in some with this over the next few days, it's already, given my caveats above, oh my an improvement.

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
Thanks for sharing your first impressions. The new Nagra Phono seems to be great step forward. Does it have a completely different sonic character compared with the VPS?

I think I will order my Nagra Classic Phono during this week. I got a pretty good offer from my dealer and just sold the MPS...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for sharing your first impressions. The new Nagra Phono seems to be great step forward. Does it have a completely different sonic character compared with the VPS?

I think I will order my Nagra Classic Phono during this week. I got a pretty good offer from my dealer and just sold the MPS...

I would not say completely different sonic character. I'd say the exact same sonic character just better in every demension. So more textures, more colors, more detail, wider and deeper stage, better dynamics and speed, just more immersive and more real. All this with only 8 hours playing time. Music notes that were there before, now emerge with a quickness, power, and finesse along with a weight and beauty. So for example I listened to Johnny Cash American Recordings before and after. Just him singing and his guitar. His voice has more power, more presence, more inflections. Just infused with a energy the VPS didn't possess. Not a volume is louder, more energy and realism at a similar volume level.

Reactions: Zeotrope and tima

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I would not say completely different sonic character. I'd say the exact same sonic character just better in every demension. So more textures, more colors, more detail, wider and deeper stage, better dynamics and speed, just more immersive and more real. All this with only 8 hours playing time. Music notes that were there before, now emerge with a quickness, power, and finesse along with a weight and beauty. So for example I listened to Johnny Cash American Recordings before and after. Just him singing and his guitar. His voice has more power, more presence, more inflections. Just infused with a energy the VPS didn't possess. Not a volume is louder, more energy and realism at a similar volume level.

Thanks jfrech for sharing and congrats.

I never owned a VPS but always heard very positive comments about it. It seems if you want to change loading, you have to swap some impedance module inside the chassis on VPS. How does it work with the new Nagra phono? The internal circuit of the new classic phono looks really impressive.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks jfrech for sharing and congrats.

I never owned a VPS but always heard very positive comments about it. It seems if you want to change loading, you have to swap some impedance module inside the chassis on VPS. How does it work with the new Nagra phono? The internal circuit of the new classic phono looks really impressive.

Hi,

You change impedance (or capacitance) it is the same loading cards as before with the VPS. The Nagra Classic Phono comes with 5 resistive cards and 1 capitacne card. And Nagra will make up to 3 cards for you free of charge for a value you desire. Before I had 470, 680 and 847 made and I kept those cards. In the box the loading values are 100, 180, 270, 470, and 1k ohm. The board where the loading cards go also has a series of jumpers. Nagra states the jumpers sound better than any kind of swith/relay. The jumpers (again similar to the VPS) allows you to set:

1) Symmetrical or Asymmetrical input
2) With load (card) or with out)
3) not connected/moving coil input
4) not connected/moving magnet input
5) internal transformer bypassed/internal transformer connected
6) none/additional 47k ohm load on tube grid
7) stereo or mono cartridge (this is a switch vs jumper) (I don't recall the VPS having this option)

To change any value above, you have to take 8 small hex bolts and pop the cover all. It's a very compact board (about 2 x3 inches) that is removable so you can easily change any value and quickly reinsert. Nagra states this design keeps the signal path as short as possible and everything very close to the input RCA's and the input trannies.

Mini-Me

Sep 8, 2020
Hi,

You change impedance (or capacitance) it is the same loading cards as before with the VPS. The Nagra Classic Phono comes with 5 resistive cards and 1 capitacne card. And Nagra will make up to 3 cards for you free of charge for a value you desire. Before I had 470, 680 and 847 made and I kept those cards. In the box the loading values are 100, 180, 270, 470, and 1k ohm. The board where the loading cards go also has a series of jumpers. Nagra states the jumpers sound better than any kind of swith/relay. The jumpers (again similar to the VPS) allows you to set:

7) stereo or mono cartridge (this is a switch vs jumper) (I don't recall the VPS having this option)

To change any value above, you have to take 8 small hex bolts and pop the cover all. It's a very compact board (about 2 x3 inches) that is removable so you can easily change any value and quickly reinsert. Nagra states this design keeps the signal path as short as possible and everything very close to the input RCA's and the input trannies.

Hi,

you are right. It is the same with exception of 7). The VPS does not have the option to switch between mono and stereo.

As far as I see, there is no transformer inside. Do you know how the power from the IEC inlet is transformed?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi,

you are right. It is the same with exception of 7). The VPS does not have the option to switch between mono and stereo.

As far as I see, there is no transformer inside. Do you know how the power from the IEC inlet is transformed?

Hmm a good question. I don't know. Unless in this picture: https://www.monoandstereo.com/2020/08/nagra-classic-phono-preamplifier_27.html
the transformer is one of the blue things on the upper left. Or maybe the transformer is below that board and you can't see it. That board appears to be raised higher than the others. The owners manual says it consumes 1.5 amps and 35 watts. The AC inlet & fuse is in on the extreme upper left and the DC inlet just to right of the AC inlet.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Hi,

Thanks jfrech for the very detailed explanation. Indeed such design shortening the path is an efficient way to a good phono stage. I believe the new Nagra is amazing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing