new Nagra Tube DAC

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Nagra_HDDAC_bb_03b-1920x1080.jpg
I have had the Nagra HD with PSU now for a long time and was very pleased with it. Fantastic sound both with C.E.C TLO 3.0 transport and with
computer Mac pro laptop with AUDIONIRVA plus and my 3000cd collection on NAS. TIDAL is very good and even Spotify played via Aragon spotify box on the Nagra sound very good.
I now got the new Nagra Tube Dac w new Classic PSU. A considerable economic outlay so very nervous if it should improve sound.
Straight out of box it was no improvement and a long burn i period was needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have had the Nagra HD with PSU now for a long time and was very pleased with it. Fantastic sound both with C.E.C TLO 3.0 transport and with
computer Mac pro laptop with AUDIONIRVA plus and my 3000cd collection on NAS. TIDAL is very good and even Spotify played via Aragon spotify box on the Nagra sound very good.
I now got the new Nagra Tube Dac w new Classic PSU. A considerable economic outlay so very nervous if it should improve sound.
Why did you buy it without making thorough comparisons to the old one?

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
because I got a very favorable offer on the private market for my old dac and had to accept and sell very quick. That quick sell made the new buy possible.
I trust nagra's reputation for excellent products so I was sure the new would be better. Question how much better.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
After a long burn in period i finally could give the new dac a seriously listening.
And wow it was not a small improvement over the already good HD dac.
Everything got better.
Microdetails not heard before pop up. Things buried in the mix now could be here clearly.
The soundstage expand in every direction
Midbass got cleaned up and you could more easily hear the bass player in rock music.
dynamics improved and was better preserved when you played music very low
You got more body on the individual tones.
High tones like cymbals was so clear and present.
I could go on but the content is I got a more musical DAC than the already good
HD dac. So a very good investment in musicality.
Being a retired man I found myself listening to good music even more.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats ULF. I bought the Classic PSU to replace my Nagra MPS. This PSU alone make a big difference on my Nagra VPS phono stage...

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
After a long burn in period i finally could give the new dac a seriously listening.
And wow it was not a small improvement over the already good HD dac.
Everything got better.
Microdetails not heard before pop up. Things buried in the mix now could be here clearly.
The soundstage expand in every direction
Midbass got cleaned up and you could more easily hear the bass player in rock music.
dynamics improved and was better preserved when you played music very low
You got more body on the individual tones.
High tones like cymbals was so clear and present.
I could go on but the content is I got a more musical DAC than the already good
HD dac. So a very good investment in musicality.
Being a retired man I found myself listening to good music even more.
thanks for this Ulf - I was toying with upgrading to classic PSU but now you have given me reason to pause - perhaps this is the value/performance step up - as you say the HD DAC is no slouch
I do like the idea of more detail - does it still have that flowing organic sound

did you ever consider the HD DAC X and do you have any idea where the tube DAC sits in relation to that

sadly none are available to listen to in Aus

cheers

Phil

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Phil
If you got the possibility go for the full upgrade
It’s hard to describe but everything is better even the flowing organic sound that made the HD dac equal the sound of a good vinyl rig.

I suppose dac x is even better but at the moment I can’t imagine how,
I don’t think there are any to listen to here I Sweden. And I will not afford it anyway.
Just content now with what I have.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
Phil
If you got the possibility go for the full upgrade
It’s hard to describe but everything is better even the flowing organic sound that made the HD dac equal the sound of a good vinyl rig.

I suppose dac x is even better but at the moment I can’t imagine how,
I don’t think there are any to listen to here I Sweden. And I will not afford it anyway.
Just content now with what I have.

Thanks for that Ulf - so good that you have had such a great result - always scary making that leap of faith !

I will now engage in deeeep thought :rolleyes:

Cheers

Phil

Reactions: RdW

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
So far six of my Audiophile friends have listen to the new dac. They all new my setup inside out. Three of them has developed a new tube amp and one of them will starts manufacturing it ( the prototype sounds very well)
Anyhow they all agreed that the new Dac was a major step up in sound quality

The best praise comes from the Vinyl Only Guy. He is a man of few words and with 4000vinyls,
I quote: That’s a DAC I could live with.
Nuff said!

Reactions: thomask

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The CD that mesmerized my tube/vinyl friends was Reference Recordings
RR 136 Saint-Saens Introduction and Rondo capriccioso.
Very well recorded and one of the most beautiful classic pieces I know!
(it also contains the famous organ symphony)

Reactions: Malcng

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
So far six of my Audiophile friends have listen to the new dac. They all new my setup inside out. Three of them has developed a new tube amp and one of them will starts manufacturing it ( the prototype sounds very well)
Anyhow they all agreed that the new Dac was a major step up in sound quality

The best praise comes from the Vinyl Only Guy. He is a man of few words and with 4000vinyls,
I quote: That’s a DAC I could live with.
Nuff said!

That's quite a compliment !

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
View attachment 55236

Please keep us posted!

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I recommend the cd Nameless by Dominique Fils-Aime
Listen to the song Birds. Via the C.E .C transport and Tube Dac I use the old qliche: She is in the room singing for you, A somewhat spooky feeling.
I also got a heavily tweaked Spotify playback system. Even on Spotify she is there!

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
I recommend the cd Nameless by Dominique Fils-Aime
Listen to the song Birds. Via the C.E .C transport and Tube Dac I use the old qliche: She is in the room singing for you, A somewhat spooky feeling.
I also got a heavily tweaked Spotify playback system. Even on Spotify she is there!

Thanks for the update. I have owned the HD DAC for six months. Primarily with Tidal. I demoed the Classis DAC, the HD DAC blew it away. I appreciate your updates. Probably going Tube DAC next year.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
My new Tube Dac
Also testing a Nuprime super cheap cd transport. Exceptional good sound quality for little money. image.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
My new Tube Dac
Also testing a Nuprime super cheap cd transport. Exceptional good sound quality for little money. View attachment 56431
I still find I like spinning discs slightly better. Curious as to your thoughts. I Maybe loose a lil resolution vs a hi rez file but gain in textures and weight. It's not a massive diff, both sound good.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
A pictures of the Nagra Classic PSU to My Nagra Tube DAC. Together with the C.E.C. TLO 3.0 the dac makes absolutly world class sound spinning CD.
My computer rig with NAS and Tidal is equally good but a little difference.A few high res files, but not everyone, has an even higher SQ. image.jpg

AlexisArch

Sep 21, 2019
Hi,
always happy with Ur Nagra Tube dac?
and... am curious if u have compared directly the mighty cec tlox with the new low cost Jewel nunprime cdt 8...?

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The CEC transport with Nagra Tube Dac gives excellence sound as it should given the high price,
Comparing it to supercheap Nuprime transport directly gives interesting results.
The Nuprime transport is nearly as good! If I have not heard the C E C I could happily lived with the Nuprime sound quality.
But why has the Nuprime remote no direct access to different tracks on a CD?
A nuisances

Reactions: AlexisArch

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
I have the HD DAC and PSU. I have a basic CDT. So far, the performance of the CDT is heavily dependent on the DAC. If looks don't matter, a basic CDT is good enough. The CEC is beautiful! If I do upgrade the CDT, the unit from Acoustic Plan from Germany is compact and a work of art. The Nagra CDT looks great, but at $12K USD, not realistic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing