new Nagra Tube DAC

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Fantastic sound both with C.E.C TLO 3.0 transport and with
computer Mac pro laptop with AUDIONIRVA plus and my 3000cd collection on NAS.

ulf,
please shed some light on the SQ differences between the C.E.C and the MacBookPro with Audirvana.
Thanks

Matt

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Matt

When casual listening there is not much difference. Both sounds excellent.
When critical listen perhaps the CEC has a tad more weight and body.

I have read everywhere that a good server will beat my laptop audionirvana setup.
I have tried the DCS bridge but that setup didn’t get better SQ
Perhaps a Innous reference or a top model Aurender will get better result but at the moment i am very content with my rig.

Reactions: matthias

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I can't find that info. The manual says "high grade military tube selected by Nagra"
The guy who bought my old HD dac changed the tube in that dac and he says that tube was 12AU7.
i don't know if the Tube dac has the same.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
12AU7 would make sense, but that is likely a driver tube and not an output tube. I wonder then, does the output stage of the Nagra D/A use a solid state device such as MOSFET? Can't seem to find any info on that for either the Nagra or Brinkman 'tube" DACs.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The HD dacs (both original and new X) use JAN 5963 which is a mil spec 12au7, so it is quite possible their Tube Dac does also . The E80cc is worth investigating as a substitute if the dac can cope with the extra current draw and height.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The sixmoons test August 2014 discuss at length the technical built up of the HD Dac
and the use of the tube. I can’t understand anything of it. I only listen to the exellent sound.
Perhaps someone can explain in simple words what the tube does.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
for year's I have used xlr from Nagra HD dac and now Tube dac to amp. As said it sounds excellent. Now iI have tried with the same cable RCA between dac and amp. it is slightly better!! A little bit more open and vivid sound.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
The output transformer on xlr was an expensive extra option. So I refrained

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The output transformer on xlr was an expensive extra option. So I refrained
Hi, I would expect the RCA's to sound a little better, I added the transformers (at the input) on my HD Pre and thought that was better...but I had a balanced source going to a unbalanced input before the input transformers were added. In your example, without the transformers, it's unbalanced source...Over time I've found you just have to try it. balanced doesn't always equal better...

Ulf, have you thought about trying a Classic PSU yet?

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have the classic PSU with two outlets. I am sure it is a key component why this DAC sounds so excellent.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
@ulf
Hi ulf,
may I ask you which USB cable do you use between your Mac laptop and the Nagra Tube DAC?
Thanks

Matt

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
I have a audiophile friend in northern part of sweden.
He and his audiophile friends has made extensive test of various usb cables including some expensive ones. The result was that the inexpensive Neotech silver usb was the best. I trusted him and am very satisfied with the sound although never made any tests myself.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
For a stunning good recording try Swedish folk/electro group Bazar blå (bazar bla)
Album Nysch and song Kebabchichi
It always impress people coming to listen
It’s on Tidal and Spotify

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
Just received my Tube DAC. I had the HD DAC, did the upgrade. My first impression was much more dynamic range. Playing CD's via my Olasonic CDT, it was very obvious. Much more bloom and HUGE soundstage! I need advice on procuring a more sophisticated CDT. NuPrime makes one for $800 or $1800. Appreciate any thoughts!

gipe

Oct 15, 2019
France
[QUOTE = "ulf, post: 640521, member: 301"] Pour un superbe enregistrement, essayez le groupe folk / électro suédois Bazar blå (bazar bla)
Album Nysch et chanson Kebabchichi
Ça impressionne toujours les gens qui viennent écouter
C'est sur Tidal et Spotify [/ QUOTE]

Bonjour,

Merci pour l'information. Il est également sur Qobuz, ce qui est en effet très impressionnant. Je ne savais pas, belle trouvaille.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
congrats Sniper for a very good purchase.
the tube Dac is truly spectacular
my cheap Nuprime cdt i very good. the more expensive one perhaps even better.Try both and let us know.

Merci gipe!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Just received my Tube DAC. I had the HD DAC, did the upgrade. My first impression was much more dynamic range. Playing CD's via my Olasonic CDT, it was very obvious. Much more bloom and HUGE soundstage! I need advice on procuring a more sophisticated CDT. NuPrime makes one for $800 or $1800. Appreciate any thoughts!
Hello Sniper17,
Congratulations!

IMHO your Nagra Classic Tube DAC deserves a transport better than the Nuprime!

Pls consider the Aqua Audio La Diva or the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T :

https://www.hifinews.com/content/pro-ject-cd-box-rs2-t-pre-box-rs2-digital-cd-playerdac
http://highfidelity.pl/@main-499&lang=en

https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showth...acoustic-quality-La-Diva-轉盤-La-Scala-MKII-DAC
(pls use google translate)

:)

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hello Sniper17,
Congratulations!

IMHO your Nagra Classic Tube DAC deserves a transport better than the Nuprime!

Pls consider the Aqua Audio La Diva or the Pro-Ject CD Box RS2 T :

https://www.hifinews.com/content/pro-ject-cd-box-rs2-t-pre-box-rs2-digital-cd-playerdac
http://highfidelity.pl/@main-499&lang=en

https://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?7594-????aqua-acoustic-quality-La-Diva-??-La-Scala-MKII-DAC
(pls use google translate)

:)

I'll have to agree here, a good transport for your killer good dac is a good investment....especially given your system. congrats on your Tube Dac !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing