new Nagra Tube DAC

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Hello
Can this dac be paired with soulution 511 amp which has an input impedance of only 2k ohms.

ulf

Aug 9, 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
As told before I can upgrade with transformers on the xlr outputs.
But at the moment I got excellent SQ with the rca output to amp.
i don't know if I can do any further upgrad.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi everyone, I just took delivery of a Nagra Tube DAC. The sound is jaw-dropping! I have never heard digital sound like this. It’s in a different league from my other programmable DAC, the PS Audio DirectStream (although at about 4X the price - except the Nagra has a built-in headphone amp), it makes sense that they are not comparable.
It looks like Nagra has made some changes to the case and a minor change to the volume knob - for those with a Tube DAC, does yours have vents at the top of case, for the tube? Mine does not.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I am using the built in headphone amp - I'm solely using the Tube DAC as a headphone DAC and amp.
MacBook Pro running Roon -> Nagra -> Focal Stellia.

Reactions: asiufy

Sniper17

Nov 27, 2018
I had my HDDAC upgraded to a Tube DAC, i do not have the vents.

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Surge1

you need to hear it on a proper system to appreciate this amazing dac. I thought the Lampizator pacific was amazing until I heard the Nagra.

• Wow
Reactions: ACHiPo and bmarq

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
It seems like Nagra changed the volume dial on the Tube DAC - mine wiggles a bit when I turn the knob. The plate on which the volume scale is printed moves just a bit because of how the dial is affixed to the chassis. I’m waiting for the factory to reply on a fix. Does anyone else have this issue?

See the circle at the 6 o’clock position? There’s play around that part, maybe about 0.5mm in each direction. This is not how the volume dial was secured on earlier models, and it’s now how the power knob dial is secured.

It‘s not that big of a deal, but at the price of this unit, it’s not great.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 12.14.31 PM.png

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Mine is pretty rock solid. I haven’t noticed any play. I use the remote most of the time but I’ll check again. Do you have the power supply and do you know if you can power non Nagra gear.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Mine is pretty rock solid. I haven’t noticed any play. I use the remote most of the time but I’ll check again. Do you have the power supply and do you know if you can power non Nagra gear.
Thanks, yeah, let me know if you don’t mind. Earlier versions seem to have v-shaped attachment point to the chassis, where new ones now have the + mark...
A small shim from Nagra would fix it. Maybe mine just didn’t have it?
Nagra is taking a while to reply, which is not great; but let’s see...

I don’t have the Classic PSU - I use two APSC-III PSUs. This is a bedside system, and I want to keep the number of boxes to 1.
I may buy another Tube DAC for my main system, and may get a Classic PSU at that time. Although for that system I use a PS Audio P20 AC regenerator, which I consider a must have. I’m not sure how much benefit the Classic PSU will add to power from the P20.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Surge1, yours does look different. Wondering if something jiggled loose in shipping? Have you called your dealer?

Redphu, I have a Nagra Classis PSU. I use one outlet to power a classic phono and the other to power my Grand Prix Audio turntable power supply. So yes, you can as long as the input source is the right voltage and current limits.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Surge1, yours does look different. Wondering if something jiggled loose in shipping? Have you called your dealer?

Redphu, I have a Nagra Classis PSU. I use one outlet to power a classic phono and the other to power my Grand Prix Audio turntable power supply. So yes, you can as long as the input source is the right voltage and current limits.
I have called my dealer and they are waiting for Nagra to reply... it’s been a couple of weeks...
I’ll check the box again. Can you take a photo of yours, if you don’t mind? Thanks

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have called my dealer and they are waiting for Nagra to reply... it’s been a couple of weeks...
I’ll check the box again. Can you take a photo of yours, if you don’t mind? Thanks
Here is a pic of HD Preamp volume control and the Classic Phono power switch

IMG_0519.jpeg
IMG_0520.jpeg

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Here’s mine

Attachments

• 0ABCDA74-1E9C-4DB2-B793-66DE44DCCC67.jpeg
    0ABCDA74-1E9C-4DB2-B793-66DE44DCCC67.jpeg
    567.4 KB · Views: 21

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Here’s mine
Thanks! Yeah, so they changed how the volume dial is secured. No idea why. The new style has play; but it can be fixed with a shim... let’s hope Nagra fixes it. Again, not a huge deal and on a lesser priced DAC I wouldn’t mind. But on a DAC that retails for nearly $30K, it needs to be fixed!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks! Yeah, so they changed how the volume dial is secured. No idea why. The new style has play; but it can be fixed with a shim... let’s hope Nagra fixes it. Again, not a huge deal and on a lesser priced DAC I wouldn’t mind. But on a DAC that retails for nearly $30K, it needs to be fixed!
Nagra and/or your dealer will fix it. They are a way beyond first class manufacturer. I am sure they are also digging into their engineering and build teams to find out what happened. Let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Zeotrope

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing