New OMA turntable

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Fremer lists one on his gear list on the Zero review. so likely it's in review now and we will see something in Stereophile soon.

at this point it's a tease......since there are literally no facts we know about it. we assume it's a direct drive, but could be an idler, or a remote possibility it's a belt. no evidence it has any suspension or air bearing or air layer suspending the platter. fluid suspension? maybe? how heavy is the platter? a pivoting arm, but might it be a linear tracker? lots of hints......but nothing specified......a tease.

but it does have us talking about it. a little mystery is good to stir things up.

i'm sure it's a very serious effort, OMA has done some pretty top flight stuff.

Last edited:

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I saw and heard it on a trip to OMA in June. It's direct-drive, if I remember correctly. The chassis is cast. I don't recall that it has any kind of suspension system, but I could be wrong. I don't think the arm is linear.

I was impressed, but, then, I was also hearing it through OMA's $500k horn speakers.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I saw and heard it on a trip to OMA in June. It's direct-drive, if I remember correctly. The chassis is cast. I don't recall that it has any kind of suspension system, but I could be wrong. I don't think the arm is linear.

I was impressed, but, then, I was also hearing it through OMA's $500k horn speakers.

did he play more than one tt? any relative impressions? with a single source hard to assign cause and effect......especially in an ultra system that is unfamiliar. too many new things to sort them out.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I watched a video tour of the OMA facility on YouTube in which the owner describes the superiority of direct drive tables over all other types and he discusses some nice vintage examples. I presume this new table is DD and the plinth is cast stacked pieces. No suspension, no vacuum, just a very solid and heavy DD table and very expensive.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
@PeterA Yes, that's correct, as far as I know.

I heard a number of records on the SP10-R in OMA's plinth. I believe the arm was a Schroeder. I don't recall the cart, I'm afraid. Pretty much everything--Muddy Waters, jazz of various eras--sounded excellent on the SP-10R.

I only heard one cut on the K3: "Billie Jean." I was impressed by the truly rock solid bottom end.

But, again, all of this was through OMA's main speakers, very large horns paired with dual 21" subs. It's an impressive and unusual way to hear recorded music, as the room is almost the size of a movie sound stage. It's just an overwhelmingly big, expansive, and live-sounding room in which one demos these impressive objects. In many ways, it's closer to what you'd hear in a good music club, very clear and real sounding with low distortion. Not a hi-fi sound so much as, yeah, a club sound, in a good way.

I don't know if it's the *best* listening experience I've had--again, it's so unusual--but it was damned impressive.

If I'm remembering correctly--and I could be way off--the K3 costs somewhere around $350K.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Those ultra big horns they have are awful.. it's the smaller monarchs that are better

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
@bonzo75 I see you reviewed the big horns on your site, and your assessment, while mixed, seemed positive. I didn't get to hear the Monarchs unfortunately.

I guess I said "impressive" and "unusual" above to indicate that, truly, I didn't know what to make of the biggest horns. The scale of the things was pretty overwhelming. Whether they were coherent or not, I couldn't say. But it was a neat experience.

On the whole, however, who on earth has the room to be able to even contemplate owning such speakers? They're almost in another category, one that I wouldn't necessarily call "home audio."

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was positive on the Monarch, which are the butterfly horns. The big ones were too disparate

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I only heard one cut on the K3: "Billie Jean." I was impressed by the truly rock solid bottom end.

interesting that was the only cut on the K3. "Billie Jean" has a huge bass thump on most everything. i suppose it's not fair to make too much of that. i'm sure it was still rock solid to an exceptional degree considering it's design (to the degree we understand it)..

Last edited:

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
That's true about "Billie Jean." It was quite detailed and layered, too. But, again, it was just the one track that I heard.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
no evidence it has any suspension or air bearing or air layer suspending the platter. fluid suspension? maybe? how heavy is the platter?

None of which are necessary to an excellent turntable. A lot depends on implementation. OMA stuff seems generally well executed. I wonder if we'll hear anything about the controller system which imo is a key to successful direct drive - nowadays that means software control and few if any manufacturers will get into details. I don't see any +/- pitch control on the 'panel' which is a good thing, but then I don't see an 'on speed' indicator which can be helpful if something isn't right.

"Emphasis was placed on dynamic speed stability, as opposed to the average speed approach of all other turntable manufacturers." That is a sentence I'm unclear how to parse. It would be interesting to learn what is peak deviation from perfect 33?.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
None of which are necessary to an excellent turntable. A lot depends on implementation. OMA stuff seems generally well executed. I wonder if we'll hear anything about the controller system which imo is a key to successful direct drive - nowadays that means software control and few if any manufacturers will get into details. I don't see any +/- pitch control on the 'panel' which is a good thing, but then I don't see an 'on speed' indicator which can be helpful if something isn't right.

"Emphasis was placed on dynamic speed stability, as opposed to the average speed approach of all other turntable manufacturers." That is a sentence I'm unclear how to parse. It would be interesting to learn what is peak deviation from perfect 33?.

in Fremer's Zero review, he makes a big deal of the concept of the extreme lowering of the noise floor as slowing down the music, which i interpret as sustaining the note. it was a similar perception (in contrast to my previous experiences) i got when i first listened to my Rockport Sirius III in 2002. was it the same thing? i don't know.

if this K3 is meant to occupy that over $250k turntable realm, then i personally would expect it to pull off that same trick. can that be done without a suspension or air bearing or air film? can it be done with fluid? or does it even attempt to enter that degree of lowering of noise?

the SAT uses a Minus K shelf as part of lowering the noise floor. but Fremer views the Zero as quieter from what i read.

maybe the K3 covers new ground with the 'speed' issue? does it compete at the top level in low noise? lots of excellent turntables are without any suspension for sure. but at this price is 'excellent' good enough?

will OMA's target audience of NYC whale's even care?

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
It’s as much an art object us anything else and that will be a big draw for the few people who would consider this. It’s great to see an audio company take aesthetically adventurous path.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
It’s as much an art object us anything else and that will be a big draw for the few people who would consider this. It’s great to see an audio company take aesthetically adventurous path.

your comment is interesting, i was going to add "or their interior designers" to my last comment.....but you have said it better. 'Art' of course.

we might not be the intended audience, not that OMA products do not perform because they do. but if you follow Mr. Weiss's marketing efforts, video's and such, he directs his comments more to newcomers to high end audio and why it's worth considering instead of another bespoke car or boat, and not to experienced audiophiles particularly. so his aesthetic emphasis and considerations fit into that focus.

he is not taking this path for his health, it's where the money is.

i do appreciate the style of OMA, and agree it's good to see such beautiful, classy, products......our hobby is better for it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing