New phonostage under $15K

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thank you, Jeffy. It looks like I'll have to try all the available loading settings.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
What do you guys think about Allnic H-7000V: http://allnicaudio.com/?page_id=1811?
So far, I've listened to Io Signature and Thoeress. Can't really decide between the two. Allnic is a new design, at least compare to Aesthetix. It is the upgrade to H-3000V, which was a well regarded phono stage. Has anyone compared H-3000V to Io or Thoeress?

Thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What do you guys think about Allnic H-7000V: http://allnicaudio.com/?page_id=1811?
So far, I've listened to Io Signature and Thoeress. Can't really decide between the two. Allnic is a new design, at least compare to Aesthetix. It is the upgrade to H-3000V, which was a well regarded phono stage. Has anyone compared H-3000V to Io or Thoeress?

Thanks.

What differences did you find between the thoress and the IO signature?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I prefer the Allnic 5000, only marginally, to the IO eclipse. The 3000 is not as good as the 5000. Allnic reacts a lot to tube rolling. It's easier to manage than IO, only one valve to roll. I will be able to compare 7000 and thoress later in the year.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I prefer the Allnic 5000, only marginally, to the IO eclipse. The 3000 is not as good as the 5000. Allnic reacts a lot to tube rolling. It's easier to manage than IO, only one valve to roll. I will be able to compare 7000 and thoress later in the year.

Ked - why 1 valve to roll on Allnic?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
What differences did you find between the thoress and the IO signature?
I think, they are both on the same level, equally dynamic, the Io is a little bit more dense and rich, Thoeress is more neutral. Depending on a cart and a system, you would choose one or the other. I could happily leave with both of them. Thoeress is very quiet and almost doesn't produce any heat.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think, they are both on the same level, equally dynamic, the Io is a little bit more dense and rich, Thoeress is more neutral. Depending on a cart and a system, you would choose one or the other. I could happily leave with both of them. Thoeress is very quiet and almost doesn't produce any heat.

Aesthetix will always be more dense, backward layered, and slammy. Big Midbass. It's usually the noisier one unless you roll tubes effectively to quieten it. Never compared 3000 directly to it but that is also tonally rich, nice wide stage, immersive. Aesthetix can get very macro dynamic. Different sounds. I compared Allnic 3000 to zesto and trulife with the stock recti and preferred the other two. I rolled the recti and preferred the Allnic. The zesto was cheaper, the trulife was much more expensive. Thoress and Allnic are both more flexible than the aesthetix. I listen to Allnic regularly in a system I like and it sounds great with the Soulution preamp.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Just had a IO Eclipse with two power supplies delivered today.
This thing is ridiculous in every way, Takes up the surface space of 3 very large
top loader CD players, uses same power in idle as a Krell Fpb 700cx and produces the same amount of heat ! Not practical with my 2 arm system
with a SUT on second arm, but !!!!
The sound is amazing, great layering and separation of instruments and vocals, and almost palpably real performers in the listening room when the recording allow it. I have spent the last couple of hours with Willy Nelson playing Jazz, Van Morrison playing blue eyed soul, and Rickie Lee Jones just delighting the hell out of me. And what gets me most are the dynamics , frigging amazing and sometimes startling, i thought i knew these recordings !
If the Thoeress is this good, i will be surprised !

Last edited:
Reactions: dan31 and bonzo75

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Aesthetix will always be more dense, backward layered, and slammy. Big Midbass. It's usually the noisier one unless you roll tubes effectively to quieten it. Never compared 3000 directly to it but that is also tonally rich, nice wide stage, immersive. Aesthetix can get very macro dynamic. Different sounds. I compared Allnic 3000 to zesto and trulife with the stock recti and preferred the other two. I rolled the recti and preferred the Allnic. The zesto was cheaper, the trulife was much more expensive. Thoress and Allnic are both more flexible than the aesthetix. I listen to Allnic regularly in a system I like and it sounds great with the Soulution preamp.
You beat me to the punch Ked, i was sill writing when you responded :)

Reactions: bonzo75

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
36D2A7C1-FA74-4C1D-96B0-0674B80EAF7A.jpeg

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Congratulations on the Eclipse.

It will startle you on those precious recordings. If you can live with the heat and real estate required it is still highly competitive. I have compared it extensively to Thoress and yes the Thoress is more flexible. Thoress has a FET input.

The Io can be more of everything it does well including quieter if you roll tubes.

At this level your personal preference is your guide. I have listened to the 1201, 1202 and 7000 Alinic and continue to keep the Eclipse with volume controls and two inputs. Their big 8000 model I have not heard.

The only phono right now that I might trade for is the Tenor.

I still have not reconciled the CH in my mind , I have heard it on many occasisons I just struggle with the expense of the form factor all out. I spoke to Richard Mak about it at a gathering and he is very enthusiasitic about it when it goes to 4 chassis dual mono config.

Reactions: Lagonda

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

It will startle you on those precious recordings. If you can live with the heat and real estate required it is still highly competitive. I have compared it extensively to Thoress and yes the Thoress is more flexible. Thoress has a FET input.

The Io can be more of everything it does well including quieter if you roll tubes.

At this level your personal preference is your guide. I have listened to the 1201, 1202 and 7000 Alinic and continue to keep the Eclipse with volume controls and two inputs. Their big 8000 model I have not heard.
Hi Kcin,
What is your impression about Io vs Allnic 7000? Have you had a chance to do a direct comparison?
Thanks.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

I still have not reconciled the CH in my mind , I have heard it on many occasisons I just struggle with the expense of the form factor all out. I spoke to Richard Mak about it at a gathering and he is very enthusiasitic about it when it goes to 4 chassis dual mono config.
Does the second phono input come with a second set of impedance switches
or do you have to reset loading every time you switch inputs ?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Does the second phono input come with a second set of impedance switches
or do you have to reset loading every time you switch inputs ?
You get a second set of loading inpedance switches. I have the 2 inputs with volume controls. I am not sure if they offer just two inputs with out volume controls.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Kcin,
What is your impression about Io vs Allnic 7000? Have you had a chance to do a direct comparison?
Thanks.
Hi it is an impressive unit. It probably is quieter stock than the Io. It is expansive sounding holding a strong image specificity. I have heard this at my local Allnic dealer on a system that I have heard many many times over the years.

The Io can be made very quiet with tube rolling or by just keeping the stock tubes.

I believe the Io to be better front to back layering and tunefulness on bass believe it or not. Having said that I have not heard it on my own system so more listening required. There is limited to no tube rolling on these units which, I guess, may be a good thing for some.

Certainly the Io can be a tube rollers heaven or nightmare depending on your perspective.

For the money it is very well built.

Reactions: dan31 and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
You get a second set of loading inpedance switches. I have the 2 inputs with volume controls. I am not sure if they offer just two inputs with out volume controls.
Thank you for the information! The volume control is mandatory for second
input, and necessary as changing gain is difficult on the non volume
version.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi it is an impressive unit. It probably is quieter stock than the Io. It is expansive sounding holding a strong image specificity. I have heard this at my local Allnic dealer on a system that I have heard many many times over the years.

The Io can be made very quiet with tube rolling or by just keeping the stock tubes.

I believe the Io to be better front to back layering and tunefulness on bass believe it or not. Having said that I have not heard it on my own system so more listening required. There is limited to no tube rolling on these units which, I guess, may be a good thing for some.

Certainly the Io can be a tube rollers heaven or nightmare depending on your perspective.

For the money it is very well built.

The Allnic is very responsive to recti rolling.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
As you can see from this post and the post above, compared the tenor to the airtight.

Preferred the tenor, similar to the aesthetix in terms of big, layered sound. A bit of high valve noise floor, rich tones, but overall not the most nuanced. I think such big sound phonos do well in systems with large panels or large cones which are set up to create an active large wide big sound, sound slamming in from the back.

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/set-amp-owners-thread.27070/page-14#post-553409

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Nice looking system with the Tenor!

Are you saying the tenor contributed to the noise floor? That is contrary to my experience YMMV and all that.

I look for an immersive presentation no small window on sound for me-- although I do like my ESLs and I forgive them for that quality--- I have direct drive electrostatics no step up tranformers on the panels and no step down transformers on the amps great dynamic contrasts and big when they need to be. The Io certainly contributes to this illusion for me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing