New phonostage under $15K

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice looking system with the Tenor!

Are you saying the tenor contributed to the noise floor? That is contrary to my experience YMMV and all that.

I look for an immersive presentation no small window on sound for me-- although I do like my ESLs and I forgive them for that quality--- I have direct drive electrostatics no step up tranformers on the panels and no step down transformers on the amps great dynamic contrasts and big when they need to be. The Io certainly contributes to this illusion for me.

Yes it wasn't a quiet phono. Big bold tones very pleasing and macro dynamic too. I don't mean the opposite is a small window, but phonos which don't actively create a big sound yet the recording can sound big because of the stage that exists in the recording. Also I have never heard such phonos like Aesthetix and Allnic in a horn system, would like to.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Ok i’m still sitting listening to my new Io Eclipse, there are a couple of problems !
First of i have to get up and change records constantly ! Regular 33.33 rpm feels
like 45’s , damn now Paul Simon stoped playing The Rhythm of the Saints ,
those drums are amazing with this phono and the bass guitar :eek:. Normally i reach saturation after around 4 hours , it’s been about 12 hours with small breaks for food and drink.
I should try different loading and gain setting, but the Benz LP-S has never
sounded this good before. I have the next 3 albums lined up, and will not get
enough sleep tonight, but my records are all new to. me ! :)

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Ok i’m still sitting listening to my new Io Eclipse, there are a couple of problems !
First of i have to get up and change records constantly ! Regular 33.33 rpm feels
like 45’s , damn now Paul Simon stoped playing The Rhythm of the Saints ,
those drums are amazing with this phono and the bass guitar :eek:. Normally i reach saturation after around 4 hours , it’s been about 12 hours with small breaks for food and drink.
I should try different loading and gain setting, but the Benz LP-S has never
sounded this good before. I have the next 3 albums lined up, and will not get
enough sleep tonight, but my records are all new to. me ! :)
Very pleased for you! that is quite a combination with the MBL speakers and Mapleknoll .... very nice.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Very pleased for you! that is quite a combination with the MBL speakers and Mapleknoll .... very nice.
Thank you sir ! I’m using the SME 3012R arm for the LP-S, very nuanced,
just realized Paul Simon is singing in Portuguese sometimes, never
heard that before !

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Abeirov, @shakti has owned both IO signature and thoress

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
It bothers me a little, that Abert Porter changed his Io Eclipse to Allnic H3000 after 10 of owning Io.
This is what he posted at his Audiogon thread at that time:
"I had the latest and best models from Aesthetix, the Io and Callisto Eclipse, along with the Allnic H-3000 and Allnic L-4000 to listen to. Also on loan was Einstein "The Tube" line stage and (both) their matching phono stages, single ended and balanced.

I've had several other phono and line stages here over the last year or so, many of them very famous brands but the Allnic is the fist to perform so well that after only one week, I sold the Eclipse Aesthetix after more than ten years of dedication to that brand."

H7000 should be superior to H3000. Unfortunately, I have no way to audition Allnic. So, the choice now is to go with Io or get Allnic without any audition.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It bothers me a little, that Abert Porter changed his Io Eclipse to Allnic H3000 after 10 of owning Io.
This is what he posted at his Audiogon thread at that time:
"I had the latest and best models from Aesthetix, the Io and Callisto Eclipse, along with the Allnic H-3000 and Allnic L-4000 to listen to. Also on loan was Einstein "The Tube" line stage and (both) their matching phono stages, single ended and balanced.

I've had several other phono and line stages here over the last year or so, many of them very famous brands but the Allnic is the fist to perform so well that after only one week, I sold the Eclipse Aesthetix after more than ten years of dedication to that brand."

H7000 should be superior to H3000. Unfortunately, I have no way to audition Allnic. So, the choice now is to go with Io or get Allnic without any audition.

I have been in touch with Albert after I compared 5000 to IO eclipse and he largely agreed, also said that in various shootouts they preferred Allnic, followed by Ypsilon and then IO. However that was 5000 we were discussing. That said they are different sounds, and it is easy to prefer the other way if set up of one is optimised. For me I would go with the one that was easier to maintain and more flexible, especially if you are at a stage where you have many carts to experiment with in the future.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Reactions: jeff1225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have been in touch with Albert after I compared 5000 to IO eclipse and he largely agreed, also said that in various shootouts they preferred Allnic, followed by Ypsilon and then IO. However that was 5000 we were discussing. That said they are different sounds, and it is easy to prefer the other way if set up of one is optimised. For me I would go with the one that was easier to maintain and more flexible, especially if you are at a stage where you have many carts to experiment with in the future.
If you have limited space, stay away from the Io ! My Postman had to use a
forklift.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
837E24D3-C3C7-4176-B459-9105FB710102.jpeg j

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
If you have limited space, stay away from the Io ! My Postman had to use a
forklift.
I am more concerned about the heat that Io generates. I do not have a dedicated listening room. Winter in Moscow won't be an issue:), but in summer...

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Did you get the dagostino relentless?
I like my audio gear the way i like my cars and women. Hard to maintain, eye catching and a little on the noisy side ! Double D power supply is a nice feature Now wait for the RON system to kick in !:)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ked, have you heard the Doshi phono pre in your travels? It is a little more than $15k ($17k before any discounts) but still in the same ball park.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, have you heard the Doshi phono pre in your travels? It is a little more than $15k ($17k before any discounts) but still in the same ball park.

Only at Myles where just listening to it stand alone it was impossible to judge. I would like to compare with a couple if I could.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Only at Myles where just listening to it stand alone it was impossible to judge. I would like to compare with a couple if I could.

The next time you are on the US east coast you are welcome to listen to it at my place. I could try to get a couple other phono stages to compare it to.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The next time you are on the US east coast you are welcome to listen to it at my place. I could try to get a couple other phono stages to compare it to.

Oh that's awesome

Reactions: dminches

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I don't think you will find Porter derogotory toward Aesthetix even today. He is very honourable but when you sell and distribute a product you must naturally be enthusiastic about it.

The 7000 will be easier to physically manage than the Aesthetix Eclipse with 3 boxes and cooler. As to your sonic priorites , well, only you will be able to decide. For my sonic priorities the Thoress is not in the same company.

The Eclipse to Signature is a significant improvement in my opinion, I have had both.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing