New phonostage under $15K

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know it's expensive in the US, but in Europe it's retail price - 17K Euro. I think, I can get it for under 15K with a discount. Regardless of the price, how it compares to Io Signature?

you need to compare this to IO eclipse, not signature

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
OK, how does it compare to Io Eclipse?

I never compared, I know one group who did, they rated it as Allnic 5000, Ypsilon, eclipse, in that order. I have compared Allnic and IO eclipse, and heard Ypsilon separately without any compare.

Given the questions you are asking, for people like you and me, flexibility in a phono is important for learning. Phonos like Ypsilon which are more inflexible, are for people who already have done the rounds and know what they need to optimize their system. Plus, you will have to put up a lot of money to try multiple carts on an Ypsilon

Dctom bought the Ypsilon after comparing it to the older Dartzeel and to thoress

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Eclipse is immensely valve rotatable (26 valves) so if you survive that you can enjoy a spectrum of sound, especially if you have a cone or a planar system

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thanks, checked Ypsilon SUTs prices, they are around 2,000 Euro. Again, not the end of the world. Will see, if I can get it for an audition.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has listened to both the Siemens D3a and E280F in one of the @VinylSavor phono stages. I'd like to know what you heard as differences with these tubes.

Thanks in advance!

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
A quick update:
I've been using Grandinote Celio phonostage for about a month, and Aesthetix IO Signature for almost one week. The IO has amazing dynamics and bass. The sound is very dense, I will try a proper comparison within a week, but if have to choose now, the IO is clearly superior.
I was surprised to find a dealer for Thoeress in St. Petersburg, and the phonostage is available for a listening session. So, this is the next step. Then, I will get Phasemation EA-1000 and finally, Gryphon Legato Legacy.

Apparently, Gryphon bettered IO Signature, Phasemation and CH in one system and Ypsilon in another system. Both guys are from the local community, have very high-end systems, and I have no reason not to believe them. So, Gryphon must be a very interesting contender. The one very annoying thing about Gryphon: it has proprietary LEMO connectors, so if I'll go with Gryphon, will have to do something with my RCA terminated non-removable tonearm cable.
Any Legato Legacy owners here? I would appreciate any feedback on this phonostage.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The IO is amazing in Midbass/bass, density and back layered soundstage, slam. Do you have the three box? It would be really interesting to listen to the EA 1000 and the gryphon. There is an user in Greece who owns the gryphon, his user name is Vienna

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Two box and it sounds amazing on most music. The only minor issue is on vocal as I feel, that, in some cases, it's too dense. It might be a loading issue, unfortunately, the IO does not have 100 Ohms setting, it is either 75 or 121 Ohms.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I vote for the Io! I have had an Io for 18 years.

I will be using a ZYX UNIverse Premium to drive the Io.
Hi Ron,
What loading do you use on the ZYX cartridge with your Io?
Thanks.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Two box and it sounds amazing on most music. The only minor issue is on vocal as I feel, that, in some cases, it's too dense. It might be a loading issue, unfortunately, the IO does not have 100 Ohms setting, it is either 75 or 121 Ohms.
If you really need 100 ohms you could use 121 Ohm and use an additional resistor on the unused input (RCA or XLR). If you are using the RCA input then solder the additional resistor to the correct fittings on a XLR plug. Call Aesthetix if you need more information.

I'm using the Io Signature with a Lyra cart loaded at 1000 ohms. The phono cable from the arm to the Io may have more impact on loading if it has high capacitance. This goes for any phonostage and loading when not using a step up transformer.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
dan31, thank you. If I decide to order Io, I will ask Aesthetix to configure my unit for 100 ohms. I am just curious, what loading other ZYX owners use.
Sorasound says, that the optimal loading is between 50 and 200 ohms:
"Some general comments, pertaining to more than ZYX phono cartridges obviously. Assuming you’re not using stepup transformers, the optimum impedance for a LO (.24mv) ZYX will usually fall somewhere between 50 and 200 ohms. The ideal value will vary from system to system, since it depends on the electrical characteristics of the tonearm cable, phono cable and other components. Experimentation in-system is the only way to determine the optimum impedance for any MC. I’d suggest starting at around 100 ohms, then moving up or down from there depending on sonic results."
But both ZYX own phono stages have a fixed loading of 100 ohms. How come?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
100 ohms is a default for lots of MC phonostages. It is very likely most will prefer higher loading. Internal impedance of the cartridge may push this value lower if the cartridge has a very low internal impedance. Best to experiment.

I think most of the users here are loading above 100 Ohms for most of the MC's being used.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Dear Aesthetix Io owners, how do you connect your Io? I’ve read on Audiogon, that balanced connection to your pre or amplifier is much better, than the one using RCA connectors. Is this true? I’ve now connected the Io using both XLR and RCA connectors. They do sound different, but since I use different cables, I am not sure, if what I hear is due to different cables being used or connection type.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I use the XLR outputs to my preamp. I also use the rca output to an rca input headphone amp.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After the first gain stage I believe the Io is true-balanced.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Thank you, dan31, Ron and Reinhard. I guess, balanced connection is the way to go with Io. I’ve tried both, and they sound very different.
Ron, do you use 121 ohms loading with your Io and ZYX?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing