New Pilium Gear!!!!

dmundy

Jun 17, 2020
Hi All,

My first post here!

Last year in the happy age before Covid, when we traveled for fun, I had a few hours to kill in NYC and I called Rhapsody Audio to see if I could visit the shop with all this wonderful stuff! I’m glad I did.

First: meeting Bob was an absolute pleasure. In short, he’s a genuinely nice guy. I would sum up his attitude on audio as “this stuff should make you happy.” Second: in a room full of beautiful Japanese tube gear and exotic turntables he was streaming and using a large integrated cube, of a brand I was unfamiliar with called Pilium. Since that day I have tried to listen to as much as I could, and I kept remembering it and thinking it was the best gear I’d ever heard. It’s just “right.”

So a few weeks ago when I fried an amplifier, I used it as an excuse to buy a Pilium Alexander Preamp and an Achilles amplifier. Bob could not have been any better to deal with. When I got the gear in my house I knew I should wait a day, so naturally I fired everything right up!!! I instantly knew I had made the right choice. Within a few days I reached a happy point. There might be a better amp and preamp, but I don’t care.

A few notes: the amp is HEAVY. About 280lbs. I am used to moving things myself, this is simply not possible for me and this amplifier. It runs cooler than any electronics I have owned. Including non audio gear. It’s cool to the touch after many hours of use. For those of us in hot humid areas (I live in the Houston area) this is a bonus. Bob said warmup time was 20 minutes for the gear and frankly I didn’t believe it. But they warm up in about 20 minutes!

My speakers are Rockport Aviors, server is an SGM Extreme, and DAC is a Lampi GG2. These all seem to be a very happy combination. Vinyl is currently not connected for “moving stuff around” reasons, so I can’t comment on that.

Sonics are tough for me to describe, as I’ve never attempted a review. I would say that the notes hang in the air like a good tube system, but I am not saying it sounds tube like. It’s neither warm nor analytical. Obviously this next statement is a bit of a guess but I’d say the preamp seems to have all the benefits of added gain, with none of the downside. The system is neutral to my ear without at all being harsh or sterile.

A few weeks in, to say I’m happy with Pilium is an understatement.

Sorry for the clutter and non professional picture! IMG_6672.jpeg

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Houston, huh? Whenever you are open to visitors I would love to come listen. I will extend the same offer.

Reactions: dmundy and ALF

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Another Houston offer of the same! Welcome.

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Hey dmundy,

Nice setup along with the accompanying writeup with the new Pilium kit! That amplifier is a beast...I heard the Achilles stereo amplifier with Bob at his Rhapsody Audio shop in NYC. There is really stellar performance from the Pilium gear, you will be really happy, congratulations!

vbw,
-a

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
KakaoTalk_20200626_021508254.jpg

Here is my customers' system.

Arteluthe [Stiletto]

Pilium [Alexander] & [Hercules]

Taiko Audio [SGM Extreme]

Lampizator [Golden Atlantic]

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, dmundy!

Reactions: ihmeyers

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Very interesting gear, i will try to investigate on this brand when possible.
Wonder how Pilium pre-power would compare to Audionet Stern-Heisenberg.

Reactions: ctydwn and ihmeyers

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Esotar, do you know the name of the rack system used by your customer?

Sorry for late answer.

That audio rack is Korean product.

The rack name is Hotdog Rack.

Very popular.

But Hotdog Rack is one man brand, so he can make very small amount.

1 stage price is $ 550. (Not included shipping cost)

When he can sell his racks to the world, I'll introduce Hotdog rack.

Very awesome~!

Reactions: jeff1225

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Very interesting gear, i will try to investigate on this brand when possible.
Wonder how Pilium pre-power would compare to Audionet Stern-Heisenberg.

imho they are both VG electronics, probably personal preference like everything else.

Reactions: ctydwn and ihmeyers

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
I thought it’ll be around $550/stage, priced around the Hotdog ones said above.. Not bad.
Quite shocked when local dealer quoted me $14,520 for this 3-tiers new Korean HifiStay ‘Mythology’ rack.
Not tried/heard yet, but for the dollars rather not we bet on track proven older kids on the block—SRA, CM, Symp etc.—no?
*sorry for the slight derailment.

Attachments

• C0331E8B-940F-499B-A486-AC9917F09728.png
    C0331E8B-940F-499B-A486-AC9917F09728.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Seems many high end brands hover around $1-2k per level with the “platforms” or feet costing an additional $1k+.
Sorry we shook probably keep this thread related to Pilium.

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Hi All,

My first post here!

Last year in the happy age before Covid, when we traveled for fun, I had a few hours to kill in NYC and I called Rhapsody Audio to see if I could visit the shop with all this wonderful stuff! I’m glad I did.

First: meeting Bob was an absolute pleasure. In short, he’s a genuinely nice guy. I would sum up his attitude on audio as “this stuff should make you happy.” Second: in a room full of beautiful Japanese tube gear and exotic turntables he was streaming and using a large integrated cube, of a brand I was unfamiliar with called Pilium. Since that day I have tried to listen to as much as I could, and I kept remembering it and thinking it was the best gear I’d ever heard. It’s just “right.”

So a few weeks ago when I fried an amplifier, I used it as an excuse to buy a Pilium Alexander Preamp and an Achilles amplifier. Bob could not have been any better to deal with. When I got the gear in my house I knew I should wait a day, so naturally I fired everything right up!!! I instantly knew I had made the right choice. Within a few days I reached a happy point. There might be a better amp and preamp, but I don’t care.

A few notes: the amp is HEAVY. About 280lbs. I am used to moving things myself, this is simply not possible for me and this amplifier. It runs cooler than any electronics I have owned. Including non audio gear. It’s cool to the touch after many hours of use. For those of us in hot humid areas (I live in the Houston area) this is a bonus. Bob said warmup time was 20 minutes for the gear and frankly I didn’t believe it. But they warm up in about 20 minutes!

My speakers are Rockport Aviors, server is an SGM Extreme, and DAC is a Lampi GG2. These all seem to be a very happy combination. Vinyl is currently not connected for “moving stuff around” reasons, so I can’t comment on that.

Sonics are tough for me to describe, as I’ve never attempted a review. I would say that the notes hang in the air like a good tube system, but I am not saying it sounds tube like. It’s neither warm nor analytical. Obviously this next statement is a bit of a guess but I’d say the preamp seems to have all the benefits of added gain, with none of the downside. The system is neutral to my ear without at all being harsh or sterile.

A few weeks in, to say I’m happy with Pilium is an understatement.

Sorry for the clutter and non professional picture! View attachment 67971

Congrats!
Heard great things about Pilium from my dealer. He’ll be importing Alexander/Hercules, as well the AudioNet Stern/Heisenberg combo. Hope he’ll offer a listen prior delivery to customers.

Last edited:

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Congrats!
Heard great things about Pilium from my dealer. He’ll be importing Alexander/Hercules, as well the AudioNet Stern/Heisenberg combo. Hope he’ll offer me a listen prior delivery to customers.
Can you report if it's possible to make a shootout between the Pilium pre-power and the Audionet pre-power.

Reactions: bvdiman

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing