New Q3/mini M-Pro?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I heard two Magico models briefly for the first time this weekend. (The demo in the aircraft hangar last year at the show in Irvine does not count.)

I am pretty sure I heard this new model. I liked its tonal balance (a little bit warmer than dead neutral and cool). It's tonal balance was different from how I have always assumed Magicos would sound.

I also heard what I was told were the M-Projects. Their tonal balance (which, to me, was dead neutral and cool) sounded to me noticeably different from the new model.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I heard two Magico models briefly for the first time this weekend. (The demo in the aircraft hangar last year at the show in Irvine does not count.)

I am pretty sure I heard this new model. I liked its tonal balance (a little bit warmer than dead neutral and cool). It's tonal balance was different from how I have always assumed Magicos would sound.

I also heard what I was told were the M-Projects. Their tonal balance (which, to me, was dead neutral and cool) sounded to me noticeably different from the new model.

Maybe it was the equipment they were mated with that produced the different impressions?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is very possible, Ian. One can never tell anything definitive at shows, and one can never tell anything definitive at all unless one is gauging by very familiar music.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone know for sure how much the new M3's will cost?
I have heard they will be $75k!

That's the price and 60 is all I am willing to pay

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
IMHO, that price should EASILY be able to buy you those speakers...EASILY!!! :eek:

Trust me, I don't speak haphazardly :D The problem is getting the wife's approval...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Trust me, I don't speak haphazardly :D The problem is getting the wife's approval...

LOL, that's a common problem.
Although, I am having a very hard time seeing the justification for the large ( immense!!) price increase.
Let's put it this way...one can buy the Magico M3's, or a brand new Tesla for the same price.....hmmm:D

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
LOL, that's a common problem.
Although, I am having a very hard time seeing the justification for the large ( immense!!) price increase.
Let's put it this way...one can buy the Magico M3's, or a brand new Tesla for the same price.....hmmm:D

I read that the average price paid for a Tesla Model S since it was released was closer to $90K because of the various options that most people buy.

Was the Magico M3 actually demonstrated in Munich? I have yet to see any photographs or read any reports.

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway

Hi Ron

Was this at Magico HQ or in Munich? If the later I belive they only had S5 mk2 and M Project. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Tommy

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I must be incorrect then. If that is the case then I preferred the tonal balance of the S5 Mk. 2 to the tonal balance of the M-Project.

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
I must be incorrect then. If that is the case then I preferred the tonal balance of the S5 Mk. 2 to the tonal balance of the M-Project.

My dealer told me it sounded better with the Soulution 701s on saturday and sunday. I belive they used the new 5-series power amp on the first days.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
The M Pro is so transparent, that, IMO, any comments about its sound is more an opinion about the rest of the system. I find that there is very little "sound" to the M Pro, based on the many times that I have heard it in MadFloyd's system.

A comment I would assign the Q line speaker as well... I also was under the impression that the Q3 was somewhat lean in the bass until I heard with Spectral amp. it wasn't missing a beat.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
A comment I would assign the Q line speaker as well... I also was under the impression that the Q3 was somewhat lean in the bass until I heard with Spectral amp. it wasn't missing a beat.

I would tend to agree with this Frantz. However, one is slightly aware of the tweeter in the Q line when playing some material. The new tweeter in the M Pro is super detailed but completely disappears and it does not exhibit the very slight tendency toward brightness that I have heard in some Qs. This could also be more a function of the electronics. I've only heard the M Pro with Pass amps which may present a different sound than the Solution, Constellation, Spectral that are often paired with Magico.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can you guys please demo the Stenheim alumine 5, and check how it compares. At least based on show demo it was the most impressive conal speaker I came across and was in a small package, can fit small rooms and go into the corner. Audioarts seems to be stocking it in the US. 95db sensitive and can be driven by stats. That was the most explosive and dynamic room I heard. Of course needs to be reconfirmed in proper settings if they have the musicality, but in same price range as S5. Based on how the small floorstander sounds compared to their giant staement, I won't be surprised if their monitors are killers.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

Ron,

First of all - it was a pleasure to meet you in person during the Sound Galleries event at BMW Welt.

If what other member have said about the amp switch in Soulution room was true, it may explain why I liked the sound much more on Saturday, than I did on Thursday.

When I have visited the Soulution/Magico room on Thursday, it was a typical Soulution/Magico demo for me - very controlled, articulate, with excellent resolution, but a bit on the cool side, which made it a bit uninvoilving.

When I came to that room back on Saturday - WOW. That was simply the best sound of the show for me. I have spent over 30 min there just listening - sth that didn't happen in any other room. The sound was every bit as articulate and resolving as I've remembered from Thursday (and all other previous Magico Q/Soulution demos I've heard in Munich in recent years), but this time it also had the proper color saturation. If one was listening to it blingsighted, you could be fooled there was at least one tube component somwhere in the chain. The sound was very low in coloration, but at the same time, it was very natural, full, colorful, weighty, saturated - sounded very much like a real instrument.

The system they were using that day was Magico M-Project driven by 701 monos.

I also liked the S5 mk 2 demo. That was a #3 room for me at the show (with the second beeing the Sound Galleries demo at BMW Welt). The speaker to my ears is a clear improvemt over my old S5s mk 1. Especially the mids sounded more open, more lively, with much more microdynamic shading than my S5s could ever manage.

I only wished they were demoed with the same Soulution gear as the M-Projects vs the Constellation amps they were using. Historicly, the Magicos on the Constellation have always sounded softer, rounder, with more tone color vs more resolved and articulate sound of Soulution pairing. The M-Project / Soulution demo have proven to me that you can have the cake and eat it too. No need to soften the sound to make them sound great.

I had a chance to meet and talk to Alon Wolf himself. He confirmed to me that the S5 mk 2 mid and tweeter are indeed identical to the S7s (the woofers on the S7 are quite different though).

The M3s were not present at the show. There was only an M3 roll-up present in the Magico room. At present, there is only one pre-production pair at Magico factory, that will be still worked on (the front baffle is still to be reworked for example, to make the mid more flush with the baffle surface, like in the M-Projects). He also said that in the crucial mid and high range, the M3 sound every bit as good as the M-Projects, and really should be treated as M-Projects for the smaller rooms.

All in all, having the S5 mk 2 on order, I have left the room extremely satisfied. Having heard what the improvement is, I cannot wait till I fire them up in my room in a couple of weeks. On the other hand, the sound of the M-Projects had really gotten under my skin, so my S5 mk 2 episode my be shorter than initially planned ...

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
@Elberoth. I do belive Magicos blossom with god, solid power. I use a pair of Krell MRAs with lots of power and what you said about natural, colorful, weighty and saturated, I feel is spot on describing the M Pros. I have earlier owned Q3s and Q5s but he M Pros are clearly the most naturally playing speaker of the bunch, by far!!

Do I understand you correctly, are you now looking for a pair of M Pros? :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
@Elberoth. I do belive Magicos blossom with god, solid power. I use a pair of Krell MRAs with lots of power and what you said about natural, colorful, weighty and saturated, I feel is spot on describing the M Pros. I have earlier owned Q3s and Q5s but he M Pros are clearly the most naturally playing speaker of the bunch, by far!!

Do I understand you correctly, are you now looking for a pair of M Pros? :)

My room is only 14 x 19 ... so the M3 would be a perfect fit. We will see.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing