New Record Cards!

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
New Record Cards for the Studer A80R/C series!

The NextGen A80R/C Record Cards (paired with our NextGen A80R/C repro cards) redefine what what was thought possible in analog magnetic tape recordng: purist design with built-in Group Delay equalizer, 2-stage B-H linearizer, all discrete DC-coupled Class A circuitry, offering unsurpassed low distortion dynamic range, SNR, and near-perfect linear-phase time domain response.

With SM900 tape at 15ips CCIR: 82dB A-Wtd SNR at 1/3 to 1/5 the the total harmonic distortion of the tape manufacturer's spec at 3rd harmonic only, and lower THD throughout the operating range.

Follows some actual mesurements at 15 ips CCIR, and Detailed Description and Features.

IMG_2019_cropped.jpg

A very limited number of 30/15ips and 15/7.5ips board sets are now available. Contact me for further details and pricing.

Jeff

Attachments

• 9-11-22 Boards 2 & 3 Final_15ips extract.pdf
    680.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Studer A80 new Record Card Pre-Production Release - Features and Performance_rev_8.pdf
    903 KB · Views: 29

AEAaudio

Mar 21, 2022
Los Gatos, CA
aeaaudio.com
I would like to order a set of 30/15ips boards. Both record and repo if available. ken at aeaaudio.com Thanks

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
I would like to order a set of 30/15ips boards. Both record and repo if available. ken at aeaaudio.com Thanks
Ken: Left you a voice mail. Your engineering background and experience in high-end audio has some interesting similarities with my own, so I imagine we will have a lot to talk about!

Reactions: Bruce B

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
More detailed technical information and measurements on our NextGen A80R/C Record and Repro card set., including complete Transfer- and Impulse- Response, Coherence Function, and Group Delay, and what it all signifies for sonic accuracy and performance. A short explanation on how we turned the A80R/C into the world's finest analog magnetic tape recorder! How NextGen Designs For and Confirms Sonic Accuracy in Tape Recorder Electronics_Page_1_CP.jpg

Attachments

• How NextGen Designs For and Confirms Sonic Accuracy in Tape Recorder Electronics.pdf
    863.2 KB · Views: 26

Fred Thal

[Industry Expert]
Jul 15, 2016
As far as I know, we (at ATAE in California) are the world's only firm exclusively dedicated to the re-manufacture of Studer A80 and 820 tape transports. As you've now gone to the trouble and expense of building your new cards to fit the form factor of the original A80/RC eleven-slot audio card frames, perhaps you'd like to acquire our inventory of those card frames that we've carefully saved over the past twenty years?

Possibly this could help make your product line available to those wanting an outboard audio electronics package solution?

Just a thought.

Fred

Attachments

• DSC_0213.JPG
    DSC_0213.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 30

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm going to be putting together 2 compilation tapes using the new Nexgen Record cards and my "Stock" Studer cards soon. Will be sending out the tapes to select individuals (blindly) to vote which one sounds the best. Stay tuned!!

Eichenbaum

Sep 29, 2013
The NextGen A80RC record cards are amazing! My Studer never sounded so good! Thank you Jeff and Charles!

garyseven

Oct 9, 2022
town by sea near Rome Italy
Hi Jeff, my name is Antonio and I write from Italy. probably I'm one of the few european king cello tape preamp owners. fantastic.
sorrry for my english ...
I have some STUDER A 80 and I'm very intetested in new your cards. I plan to buy four record cards and four repro cards to upgrade two A 80 RC. the king cello preamp will remain connected to a prelisten a80 together with a custom tube pre based on the C37 schematic. prelisten headblock has john french heads.
some questions if it is possible;
is the same cards for 7.5-15 and 15-30 ips? I have read something about. but I have no understand if it is only a setting
cards have unbalanced input/output?
do you think it might be necessary to upgrade the power supply board?
have the cards an output to connect a VuMETER (it seems so) with balanced or unbalanced connection?
are these cards tailored only for butterfly heads? I have all spec of my heads or part number. so I don't think that there will be some probblem to
I have also an a812 that I want to sell because I cannot repair it by myself. too much logical components, but I'm interested also about ipothesis to develop new repro and record cards for these machines.
some info about prices and time of deliveryfor A80 cards? I have a friends that lives in US so it should be simple.
I'm sorry for my questions, hoping i your patience.

please send my best wishes to stellavox
many thanks.
greetings from italy.
all the best
antonio

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Hi Jeff, my name is Antonio and I write from Italy. probably I'm one of the few european king cello tape preamp owners. fantastic.
sorrry for my english ...
I have some STUDER A 80 and I'm very intetested in new your cards. I plan to buy four record cards and four repro cards to upgrade two A 80 RC. the king cello preamp will remain connected to a prelisten a80 together with a custom tube pre based on the C37 schematic. prelisten headblock has john french heads.
some questions if it is possible;
is the same cards for 7.5-15 and 15-30 ips? I have read something about. but I have no understand if it is only a setting
cards have unbalanced input/output?
do you think it might be necessary to upgrade the power supply board?
have the cards an output to connect a VuMETER (it seems so) with balanced or unbalanced connection?
are these cards tailored only for butterfly heads? I have all spec of my heads or part number. so I don't think that there will be some probblem to
I have also an a812 that I want to sell because I cannot repair it by myself. too much logical components, but I'm interested also about ipothesis to develop new repro and record cards for these machines.
some info about prices and time of deliveryfor A80 cards? I have a friends that lives in US so it should be simple.
I'm sorry for my questions, hoping i your patience.

please send my best wishes to stellavox
many thanks.
greetings from italy.
all the best
antonio
Hi Antonio.... I can answer a few of the questions, but I'm sure Jeff can give you more information.
The cards can not be used for 7.5-15 and 15-30. There are 2 separate configurations for this.
Yes, you can go directly into a VU meter if you need to.
I have 2-track Flux heads, so they can be tailored for any heads that you are using. Jeff also uses Butterfly heads.

Good-luck.... you won't be disappointed.

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Hello Antonio:
(Your English certainly beats my Italian - mostly picked up listening to Verdi, Rossini, and Puccini operas.)

Bruce is quite correct: just like the A80R/C machines themselves we supply NextGen repro and record cards in 15/30 ips and 7.5/15 ips configurations. Printed Circuit Boards, semiconductors, designs and execution are identical but have some different R and C component values based on the speeds supported.

(A note: Either speed configuration board set can be converted if needed to the other speed configuration by us, recalibrated and verified conformance if returned to us for a nominal fee.)

As far as the A80R/C power supply is concerned:

(1) we have taken design measures to insure that a properly working Studer A80 Stabilizer card will realize full specified performance from our cards; if your stabilizer card has been re-capped and works properly today in the deck then it should work without issue with our NextGen cards; we have not yet seen a case where this was not the case.
(2) the NextGen cards can be operated with well-regulated supplies up to +/- 15V which will increase headroom by about a further 2 dB if so.

The repro card supports 3 outputs:
(1) the stock Studer XLR outputs driven from an on-card transformerless balanced output - which also drives the VU meters in the Bridge;
(2) an independent Front Panel transformerless balanced output (XLR), OR
(3) a Front Panel single-ended output (female RCA).
Choice of the latter two outputs by breakout cables from the 4-pin mini XLR connector on the Front Panel.

In order of sound quality:
1. The stock Studer XLR outputs driving the VU meters are the lowest quality primarily because of the unbuffered VU meters; even so, this still sounds and measures a very significant improvement over the stock Repro cards.
2. The Front Panel balanced output is the best choice where required cable length does not permit use of the single-ended output because of RFI/EMI and hum pickup issues;
3. With a relatively short high-quality cable, the single-ended output is by far the best choice, directly off the EQ amplifier unbuffered, for purists, and often reveals suble details and musical space which can be shocking.

As to the heads, the NextGen cards support both 1/2 track and the Stereo Butterfly heads; with the effective crosstalk canceller in our repro card you give up essentially nothing in channel separation (75 dB midband) and gain almost 1.2 dB in SNR; but perhaps the biggest advantage to the butterfly heads is a much flatter bass response at and below 250Hz largely free of "Bass Bumps". Using our electronics we routinely see +/- 0.5 to +/0.6 dB error on MRL calibration tapes (fringing corrected full track cal tape) with the stereo butterfly record and repro heads, and +/- 1.5 dB error with the 1/2 track heads under the same test conditions.

While advantageous, recognize that even the larger bass errors are generally swamped by other factors, including loudspeaker characteristics, placement-, recording and recording venue- , listening position-, and listening room- characteristics; even with electronic bass correction in the listening room "accurate" bass reproduction has limited meaning at best. The usual reccomendation - and Studer's recommendation - is to adjust bass reproduction for flattest repro response in record, that is comparatively flat input to output on that machine.

Once you let me know your machine speed requirements, 1/2 track or stereo butterfly heads, desired tape type at each tape speed for record (SM900 preferred), and your preferred operating fluxivity (e.g. 350nWb/m at 15ips), we can quote actual price and delivery.

Please contact me directly if you have any further questions.

CIAO!
Jeff
jpolan@yahoo.com

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022

Redefining Analog Tape Performance:​

Announcing NextGen Audio Systems Outboard Tape Electronics​

NextGen Outboard Tape Electronics uses our exceptional NextGen A80R/C Repro and Record Cards, along with our newly-developed and equally-exceptional NextGen Bias/Erase Oscillator Card (seen on top of chassis), packaged together with required control electronics for easy interfacing to a variety of proferssional grade Tape Transports.

(The attached photo doesn't do the actual appearance justice, because the high-brightness 30-segment Green/Yellow/Red extended LED display - with the panel and RGB indicating push-button switches exposed properly - exceeds the dynamic range of the CCD image sensors on my 27MP Cannon camera.)

Some Key Features:​

• Front-Panel Controls and Indicators: Indicating sealed pushbutton switches for each channel as follows:
    • SAFE (Green)/RECORD (Red);
    • Source/Tape monitoring/metering: INPUT(Blue)/REPRO (Green);
  • Extended range (-27 to +7dB) average-responding (VU-) metering with peak hold/decay, commensurate with the exceptional record/repro dynamic range of the NextGen record/repro electronics;
  • Achieves as much as 82 dB A-WTD SNR with less than 1% midband THD using SM900 tape (14 dB above 350nWb/m, 15 ips, 1/4" Tape, CCIR); unmatched dynamic range
  • Unmatched time domain performance with built-in Group Delay equalizer and 2-stage B-H linearizer on Record, and fully-specified Impulse response and Coherence function performance;

Configurations:​

Available in 2-channel Repro Only, or Full 2-channel Tape Record and Repro configurations, and with several control interfaces available (High/LOW Speed Selection, and Record), for interface to a number of professional grade tape transports (decks); among these Studer A80VU, Ampex ATR-102, and Nagra-T are available/planned.

Availabilty:​

A very few of these Outboard Tape Electronics units shall come available starting in May; please contact us regarding Configurations and Pricing, and booking yours!

http://www.NextGenAudioSystems.com NexGen Outboard Picture corrected.jpg

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
We have very successfully interfaced our NextGen outboard tape electronics with the Studer A80VU, Ampex ATR-102, and the Nagra T-Audio (including the high inductance 660-880mH repro head) at this time.
I myself have always thought very highly of the Telefunken M12 and M15 engineering, and I see few if any difficulties in interfacing our outboard electronics to this machine.

Are you interested in full record/repro, or repro only?
Jeff Polan

jazzfun

Aug 16, 2023
We have very successfully interfaced our NextGen outboard tape electronics with the Studer A80VU, Ampex ATR-102, and the Nagra T-Audio (including the high inductance 660-880mH repro head) at this time.
I myself have always thought very highly of the Telefunken M12 and M15 engineering, and I see few if any difficulties in interfacing our outboard electronics to this machine.

Are you interested in full record/repro, or repro only?
Jeff Polan
Hi?Jeff?
I am not a technical guy. I love the M15, but not being able to switch NAB/CIRR has always been an issue. I've been searching for a tape head preamp that would work for me, but to no avail. The response from "Bottlehead Corp" is frustrating to me?"Bottlehead Corp" reply? I am not certain but I think the M15 may use a low inductance head and step up transformer as well. Thus it would be somewhat difficult to adapt to the input of the Tube Repro, which has been optimized for use with higher inductance, higher output heads.?!
Currently I am more interested in repro, because I have never used record. Can you give me a solution that suits me? sorry! My English is not very good. . .

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Hi?Jeff?
I am not a technical guy. I love the M15, but not being able to switch NAB/CIRR has always been an issue. I've been searching for a tape head preamp that would work for me, but to no avail. The response from "Bottlehead Corp" is frustrating to me?"Bottlehead Corp" reply? I am not certain but I think the M15 may use a low inductance head and step up transformer as well. Thus it would be somewhat difficult to adapt to the input of the Tube Repro, which has been optimized for use with higher inductance, higher output heads.?!
Currently I am more interested in repro, because I have never used record. Can you give me a solution that suits me? sorry! My English is not very good. . .
Interfacing low-inductance (I.e. low output) repro heads pose no problem for our outboards, and actually simplifies very much the shielded twisted pair output cabling from the repro head to the outboard electronics as cable capacitive is less of a concern; we have ample preamp head gain available and the lowest noise figure in the industry.
Repro head inductance between 50-400mH will work perfectly fine. (We also offer a special version for high inductance heads such as the Nagra T-Audio with 660-880mH repro heads, and up to 1000mH.)
What tape speeds are you using/interested in?
We offer 15/7.5 ips and 30/15 ips configurations.

So yes NextGen can offer you a complete outboard repro solution for the M15/M15A.
jeff polan

jazzfun

Aug 16, 2023
Interfacing low-inductance (I.e. low output) repro heads pose no problem for our outboards, and actually simplifies very much the shielded twisted pair output cabling from the repro head to the outboard electronics as cable capacitive is less of a concern; we have ample preamp head gain available and the lowest noise figure in the industry.
Repro head inductance between 50-400mH will work perfectly fine. (We also offer a special version for high inductance heads such as the Nagra T-Audio with 660-880mH repro heads, and up to 1000mH.)
What tape speeds are you using/interested in?
We offer 15/7.5 ips and 30/15 ips configurations.

So yes NextGen can offer you a complete outboard repro solution for the M15/M15A.
jeff polan
Hi?Jeff?
I use 7.5/15 IPS speed.I have the following question?
1.Do I need to make any modifications to my M15?
2.Can the recording function be upgraded in the future?
3.your NextGen outboard tape electronics connect to other models with different settings? Because I also have a STUDER A807. . . . . .

NextGen

Mar 10, 2022
Hi?Jeff?
I use 7.5/15 IPS speed.I have the following question?
1.Do I need to make any modifications to my M15?
2.Can the recording function be upgraded in the future?
3.your NextGen outboard tape electronics connect to other models with different settings? Because I also have a STUDER A807. . . . .
1. the only modification required is to bring out the repro head outputs (2 channels) using an appropriate high-quality shielded twisted pair cable per channel; generally this cable should be kept as short as practical to minimize hum pickup; we can assist with specific cable recommendations, and each channel cable is terminated in an XLR male for plug-in to our outboard NextGen unit.

2. The outboard electronics can be future upgraded to include our record cards and Bias/Erase oscillator, but at this time this shall require return to our facility for such upgrade.

3. The NextGen outboard repro (and optionally record) electronics can be support a wide variety of different manufacturer's decks provided the repro head loading (resistance and capacitance) is adjusted properly for the the specific head characteristics (including head inductance, gap length, and outboard cabling capacitance), the wavelength model we use for LS adjustments in repro EQ, and/or pre-amplifier stage gain are adjusted appropriately. These adjustments (head loading, wavelength model, and preamplifier stage gain) are ordinarily set by us based on your specified deck and desired tape speeds (30/15 or 15/7.5 ips), and deck's repro head characteristics to assure the best possible replay EQ conformance at each tape speed.

What this means is you should not plan on "sharing" the same NextGen outboard unit as setup precisely for one manufacturer's machine type (e.g. AEG Telefunken M15) for connecting to another manufacturer's machine type (e.g. Studer A807); this may be possible in very limited circumstances where they utilize the identical (or at least very similar) repro head type/characteristics and tape speed characteristics; unless very nearly identical the available front panel user adjustments (HF EQ, LF EQ , HS Gain, LS Gain, and XTLK) may then also have to be tweaked for specified performance which generally requires the appropriate test equipment and knowhow.

Of course, we can change these manufacturer-supplied setups (and guarantee specified EQ conformance) if you choose to move to a different machine on a going-forward basis.

For a variety of technical and cost reasons it is unlikely we will introduce an outboard with general switchable multi-deck connection flexibility.

Jeff

jazzfun

Aug 16, 2023
1. the only modification required is to bring out the repro head outputs (2 channels) using an appropriate high-quality shielded twisted pair cable per channel; generally this cable should be kept as short as practical to minimize hum pickup; we can assist with specific cable recommendations, and each channel cable is terminated in an XLR male for plug-in to our outboard NextGen unit.

2. The outboard electronics can be future upgraded to include our record cards and Bias/Erase oscillator, but at this time this shall require return to our facility for such upgrade.

3. The NextGen outboard repro (and optionally record) electronics can be support a wide variety of different manufacturer's decks provided the repro head loading (resistance and capacitance) is adjusted properly for the the specific head characteristics (including head inductance, gap length, and outboard cabling capacitance), the wavelength model we use for LS adjustments in repro EQ, and/or pre-amplifier stage gain are adjusted appropriately. These adjustments (head loading, wavelength model, and preamplifier stage gain) are ordinarily set by us based on your specified deck and desired tape speeds (30/15 or 15/7.5 ips), and deck's repro head characteristics to assure the best possible replay EQ conformance at each tape speed.

What this means is you should not plan on "sharing" the same NextGen outboard unit as setup precisely for one manufacturer's machine type (e.g. AEG Telefunken M15) for connecting to another manufacturer's machine type (e.g. Studer A807); this may be possible in very limited circumstances where they utilize the identical (or at least very similar) repro head type/characteristics and tape speed characteristics; unless very nearly identical the available front panel user adjustments (HF EQ, LF EQ , HS Gain, LS Gain, and XTLK) may then also have to be tweaked for specified performance which generally requires the appropriate test equipment and knowhow.

Of course, we can change these manufacturer-supplied setups (and guarantee specified EQ conformance) if you choose to move to a different machine on a going-forward basis.

For a variety of technical and cost reasons it is unlikely we will introduce an outboard with general switchable multi-deck connection flexibility.

Jeff
My understanding is that M15 is connected to NextGen outboard repro electronics by XLR, so there is no need to skip the internal repro card?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing