New SME Flagship Model 60

TLi

May 27, 2016
I was told by local dealer that SME has invited dealers around the world to go to UK for the launch premiere event of its new flagship Model 60 later this month.

So far, no information about Model 60 has been released yet, but it will be available soon.

Model-60-Black.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Very interesting. The top end TT market is alive and well...I had a SME 20/2 once, loved the build quality and look and feel. I have had a few buddies with SME 30/2's, That's quite a table.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Aesthetics are so subjective, but this is a departure from the classic SME style I found very attractive. Glad to see them continuing to develop the line though. Wish them the best.

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
Peter please watch the video analog planet looks like a great deal of innovation. AC motor separate transformer, polyresin arm, horizontal and vertical suspension. Perhaps Michael will tell us how it sounds? No alfiliation to sme just a fan with a Model 15 and series v . Likely £50k so I wonder how it compares to the mega tables ?

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter please watch the video analog planet looks like a great deal of innovation. AC motor separate transformer, polyresin arm, horizontal and vertical suspension. Perhaps Michael will tell us how it sounds? No alfiliation to sme just a fan with a Model 15 and series v . Likely £50k so I wonder how it compares to the mega tables ?

Michael Fremer‘s did some great tours of the SME factory and I watched those when I had my SME turntables. They were fascinating and the quality of the engineering came through. The model 30 is about 30 years old and it had vertical suspension and I thought horizontal too because I could move it horizontally and it was well damped in both directions, but the video says the new model has both, unlike the former flagship. There were many different designs for the motor control unit for that turntable. I don’t think a separate motor transformer is that new, but they did go from AC to DC motor. I know the Michael Fremer really liked the original model 30 but the US magazines did not review the 12” version which had been the top model for years. Perhaps it’s an evolutionary design that just takes things much further and as a result it sounds much better.

The tonearm looks interesting and it’s a new shape. I know there was talk about developing a new motor and it seems they did that. I agree it will be interesting to read the impressions of how it compares to the old model which is still available with the polished aluminum plates.

I found the video. Classic Fremer quote: "Digital in service to analogue", as he described the machine used to check the parts for accuracy. The video is very impressive and the quality seems outstanding, as one would expect from SME.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tango and mtemur

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I see no reason to not offer tonearms separately.

simonthepieman

Oct 2, 2020
Thank you Peter I follow a number of your threads and as always your posts are so much more articulate and comprehensive than mine. Will be interesting to read comments from anyone whom has listened to it . I think it's in production now so likely a UK Or USA review in the .not too distant future, best simon

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Yes I was following this with great interest the last couple of days. Dare I say £50k looks quite reasonable in the current field of super decks. Quality is cream of crop with SME. I bet the SME60 measures better than any other TT ever tested on the hifi news database - accounting for absolute speed, wow / flutter, rumble through bearing and without.
Very interested to hear one.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes I was following this with great interest the last couple of days. Dare I say £50k looks quite reasonable in the current field of super decks. Quality is cream of crop with SME. I bet the SME60 measures better than any other TT ever tested on the hifi news database - accounting for absolute speed, wow / flutter, rumble through bearing and without.
Very interested to hear one.

I think you are kidding yourself. It will not hold a candle to the Technics SP10R. The best hifi news has ever measured, by some margin
The SP10MK3 has even better specs

Last edited:
Reactions: BillWojo and hogen

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think you are kidding yourself. It will not hold a candle to the Technics SP10R.

haha. Please read my post carefully parameters. Rumble….

best regards

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have a friend who contacted SME about getting this new turntable. He already has a model 30 and a model 30/12. His first request was to buy the new composite arm separately and they said they don’t sell it separately. He then said that if he gets the new turntable the first thing he wants to do is put his 9 inch magnesium model five arm on the new table to understand what the new turntable sounds like and they told him he can’t do that because the wire is continuous to the RCA outlet, so the arm is basically captive and does not encourage arm swaps.

It seems that this is an integrated package that discourages experimentation with alternative tonearms. If true, that’s an interesting approach for a table at this level and price point.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have a friend who contacted SME about getting this new turntable. He already has a model 30 and a model 30/12. His first request was to buy the new composite arm separately and they said they don’t sell it separately. He then said that if he gets the new turntable the first thing he wants to do is put his 9 inch magnesium model five arm on the new table to understand what the new turntable sounds like and they told him he can’t do that because the wire is continuous to the RCA outlet, so the arm is basically captive and does not encourage arm swaps.

It seems that this is an integrated package that discourages experimentation with alternative tonearms. If true, that’s an interesting approach for a table at this level and price point.
Interesting change for SME. I guess they are changing their business model, first was no longer selling arms alone, now more of these seemingly integrated packages at the low and high end of their line up.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Less user friendly means less business. This is not a great business model.
It could have sonic advantages. We're all just guessing as to the reason...maybe SME should comment :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Less user friendly means less business. This is not a great business model.
I think a flagship TT at half to one third the cost of some of the typical competition is absolutely a great business model, especially with a tonearm thrown in for good measure.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Got to agree with Marc. This package is very aggressively priced indeed for a statement deck from one of the finest engineering companies in audio.

I am surprised about the captive comment since surely things might need repairing at some point. Personally I doubt it is fully captive but would love SME to chime in.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Got to agree with Marc. This package is very aggressively priced indeed for a statement deck from one of the finest engineering companies in audio.

I am surprised about the captive comment since surely things might need repairing at some point. Personally I doubt it is fully captive but would love SME to chime in.

it’s possible that there is a DIN connector going to the RCA output jacks. My friend assumed there was not when he was told you couldn’t put the 9 inch model V tonearm in place. I’m sure this will be clarified in the future by a reviewer.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
it’s possible that there is a DIN connector going to the RCA output jacks. My friend assumed there was not when he was told you couldn’t put the 9 inch model V tonearm in place. I’m sure this will be clarified in the future by a reviewer.
I would be very surprised not to find a DIN hidden at the back there.

You would consider a 60, Peter? Or are your SME days gone now with the MS?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing