New Spectral DMC 6 user

Kinn

Jan 30, 2021
Hi Guys,

Recently(about a year ago) bought a DMC-6. Am impressed with it, particularly the built-in phono. It is running fine, but due to its age, do you think I should send it back for service? Or I should practice, do not fix it if it’s not broken?

No, I didn’t use a Spectral poweramp as I’m using an active speakers however, I’m in love with Spectral.

What phonostage do you’ll use if I may ask. Transparent, clean and fast that matches Spectral.

Best regards,
Kinn

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Welcome and congratulations! It may not hurt to have it checked, it's probably 35 years old now, but be sure you get it back in a reasonable amount of time due to covid

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I use a DMC 5 and it is fantastic. I called a couple of years ago and they still service them. post Covid, I will send it back I guess to have it thoroughly checked. For now, a good friend had a good look at it and did a thorough clean up and tested it and all was found to be working well. Amazing really. I have had it since 1992.

Reactions: Jon Q and ack

Kinn

Jan 30, 2021
Thanks for the advice, I’ll get in touch with the dealer to find out more.

ironcloudz

Feb 1, 2021
Hi Guys,

Recently(about a year ago) bought a DMC-6. Am impressed with it, particularly the built-in phono. It is running fine, but due to its age, do you think I should send it back for service? Or I should practice, do not fix it if it’s not broken?

No, I didn’t use a Spectral poweramp as I’m using an active speakers however, I’m in love with Spectral.

What phonostage do you’ll use if I may ask. Transparent, clean and fast that matches Spectral.

Best regards,
Kinn
I have a DMC-20 which has developed a bad phono stage. Called Spectral who can now longer repair it because of inability to procure parts. They suggested I contact a dealer. Not a happy circumstance

Kinn

Jan 30, 2021
Oh dear, I’ll ring up my dealer later to find out. Thanks for the heads up.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have a DMC-20 which has developed a bad phono stage. Called Spectral who can now longer repair it because of inability to procure parts. They suggested I contact a dealer. Not a happy circumstance
Yup, it's bad - I signed up last September to get LED logo lights my amp, and there is no ETA

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
Yup, it's bad - I signed up last September to get LED logo lights my amp, and there is no ETA

Global supply chain due to COVID? Or, are you implying something bigger?

I'd think Spectral would use domestic suppliers for their LEDs.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

You should have asked them to send you their new standalone SV phono stage as a solution :)

Joking aside, sorry to hear about your technical issue. Hope you are able to get some kind of resolution.

Kinn

Jan 30, 2021
Hmmm...this leads me to a question. Will I damage the built-in phono? I usually have the volume pot crank up to 11-12 o’clock. The gain inside, I have it set to full. Cartridge is 0.2mv.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

No idea, but these come in kits, sounds like supplies are low, gated for new gear; sounds like a supply issue. Not really sure, though. I've heard others are experiencing long repair delays as well. On a related note, I searched the other day for those special Vishay HEXFRED diodes I've been using, they are nowhere to be found in the US anymore. Some of the Vishay power resistors I am using are low in stock at Mouser and other places, new stock is "unknown" beyond that, or out 12 weeks at least for some other parts. It does feel like there is a serious global supply issue.

ironcloudz

Feb 1, 2021

according to the tech it is a generally difficult to procure stand-alone components since most production these days is "surface mount"...I think that is what he said. Not COVID per se. Which raises the issue of how they are able to create new components at all. I had his same issue in 2008 and they fixed it for a few hundred $$. I might have to go for a separate phono pre but I am short on rack space. Contacted Goodwin's for advice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing