New Spectral SDR 4000SV S2

Hiempie

May 6, 2016

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
It seems Spectral is becoming unaffordable in Europe.
You can therefore see that the number of dealers is decreasing very rapidly.
So I think the brand, like Avalon, will soon disappear from the European market.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Given the way Spectral operates I doubt they care.

Their philosphy has always seemed to be "If you want it, you'll seek us out, you'll pay what we charge and will get it when we get around to building it."

Reactions: Geert1962

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
Their gear is epic no doubt but Spectral are unresponsive and the European dealer is price-gouging. The big concern after ARC failing, is what will happen when the two men that run Spectral pass away. They’re already old men. Would I want to drop €37,000 ($40,000) with that lack of clarity. It’s massively cheaper to fly to the USA and buy it there and bring it back to Europe.

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
Their gear is epic no doubt but Spectral are unresponsive and the European dealer is price-gouging. The big concern after ARC failing, is what will happen when the two men that run Spectral pass away. They’re already old men. Would I want to drop €37,000 ($40,000) with that lack of clarity. It’s massively cheaper to fly to the USA and buy it there and bring it back to Europe.
The price in the US does not include VAT, customs duty and the money you have to pay for the less VAT. In New York 8% VAT e.g. and in The Netherlands 21%. And more important the Factory set voltage in the US is 120 VAC @ 47.5 Hz to 440 Hz and 220, 240 as in Europe. Last but not least the price in Europe is sky high due to transport, higher VAT and customs duty. The best cd transport is expensive but worth every dime for me.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Certainly I could see that as a risk, simply because Spectral has always been run as a hobby/labor of love rather than a company that needs to make a particular profit.

For better or worse, those companies may not have succession plans in place.

But on the other hand, do you buy a component for the future of the brand, or because of the way this product sounds?

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
Certainly I could see that as a risk, simply because Spectral has always been run as a hobby/labor of love rather than a company that needs to make a particular profit.

But on the other hand, do you buy a component for the future of the brand, or because of the way this product sounds?
For me the most important is the sound. Is the sound the CD player or streamer "produce" as close as possible as the live music I've heard. The Spectral is very realistic, close. I need to invite a pianist or Orchestra at home for the most realist natural sound. That is impossible as we all know. For me the main reason to buy the Spectral. yes it is in Europe expensive, very expensive but worth every dime.

Reactions: dan31

Mdp632

May 29, 2016

True. The owner is supposedly wealthy prior to starting Spectral. Certainly a passionate person with a vision that was able to enlist one of the if not the top end designer/engineer in the world. Keith Johnson.

True. However, potential owners that are considering spending tens of thousands in new Spectral gear is warranted to know what the future holds. Likewise, current owners are reluctant to upgrade without such information or at least website that is current.

Both. But, depending or your comfort level it would be nice to know a succession plan. Especially at these levels.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
For me the most important is the sound. Is the sound the CD player or streamer "produce" as close as possible as the live music I've heard. The Spectral is very realistic, close. I need to invite a pianist or Orchestra at home for the most realist natural sound. That is impossible as we all know. For me the main reason to buy the Spectral. yes it is in Europe expensive, very expensive but worth every dime.

Have you heard the new 4000SV2 or is this just vaporware still?

Last edited:

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
The price has been changed. TBA:( Thank god there are other brands like CH Precision. The CH Precision d1.5 is even better than my 4000SV.
The D1.5 is $46K in the US. I guess its a closer contest in the EU.

If I was playing CD's only the Spectral would be my choice.

Geert1962

Apr 18, 2014
The Netherlands
The D1.5 is $46K in the US. I guess its a closer contest in the EU.

If I was playing CD's only the Spectral would be my choice.
The D1.5 is in the EU 42.250 euro; the Spectral was first priced 49.900 euro. The CH Precision will play SACD and CD. For me playing CD's the Spectral is the best. Even when playing CD's the Spectral SDR 4000 SV is superb.

roundhead

Oct 31, 2018
The price in the US does not include VAT, customs duty and the money you have to pay for the less VAT. In New York 8% VAT e.g. and in The Netherlands 21%. And more important the Factory set voltage in the US is 120 VAC @ 47.5 Hz to 440 Hz and 220, 240 as in Europe. Last but not least the price in Europe is sky high due to transport, higher VAT and customs duty. The best cd transport is expensive but worth every dime for me.
Will be very happy to discuss this issue when you show how much you pay for the item and reveal your invoices, what the Netherlands VAT is minus USA VAT and shipping cost. The voltage conversion costs nothing more as it is simply a switch setting on the PCB. Are you willing to reveal your margin? You manufacture reasons to blame others when it is simply price gouging and greed on your part. Your move! Of course you won’t reveal the breakdown of these supposed costs. You aren’t interested in hifi or Spectral or audio. All you care for is the margin. Shameful. You’re the reason why this passion, hobby and business is going down the drain. Greed and sloth. A sheep dressed in wolf’s clothing. A greedmonger invaded a forum populated by those that see beyond the dollar signs and care that young generation will have something of this left. It’s folk like you that accelerate the demise of hifi to mobile phones and earbuds.
IMG_4243.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing