New Synergistic Research Carbon Tuning Discs

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
You are addressing Ozzy as if this is his first rodeo. He has been around a bit. A sharp shooter. For good or bad. Yes, what you are saying makes total sense. But I have a strong feeling he is fully aware of all that

A curious post ... what makes you think I'm addressing anyone specifically?

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
I am curious by nature. Intrigued, I ordered a box of SR Carbon Tuning discs. I installed the "gold" on the Nordost Valhalla 2 XLR interconnect cables at the input of my amplifier (WooAudio 3ES-Elite) and the two "purple" on the power cables at the input of the dCS Rossini and the Master Clock. Well, it works. I don't know how it works, but it's true the sound is more dynamic, the soudnstage more extensive and the bass better defined. In my system the improvement is interesting but not substantial.

tommylion

Feb 14, 2022
Rejean,

If you haven’t already, you may want to try the discs at the sending side of your interconnects and power cables, as this is what Synergistic suggests.

Got mine in yesterday (forgot Monday was a postal holiday). I like what they do, and will post more soon.

Reactions: Rejean

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Rejean, tommylion,
Congrats!

Yes, as tommylion stated, place the gold on the interconnects close to the source sending output (Dac is a good place). I placed mine on the cable not the connector.

But on the speaker cables, place it nearer the speaker itself. Not at the amp end.

I have noticed that at /on power cords there isn't as much of effect. Could be due to more shielding. But placing the gold near the IEC input to a power conditioner seems to work well.

But there are other places that work quite well.

ozzy

Reactions: Rejean

ozzzy

Feb 21, 2019
Glad you asked.

In addition to the interconnects and speaker cables:

1. I have found that they work well on the breakers going to the audio system. I am using the purple there but haven't tried the gold.
2. Then I am using the gold at the IEC's going to my 3 dedicated lines going to my (power conditioners 7000, 1200,1000).
3. The purple works well on a USBe perfect (usb device)at the input side of my dac (Lumin X1).
4. On video they work well on HDMI outs on cables.
5. Modem RF in, Dish Satellite RF in.

ozzy

Last edited:

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
I initially placed the Purple on the WBT connector of the interconnect between the DAC and Int Amp as shown in the SR's guide and mostly heard no change, maybe slightly or it could be placebo. Moved it to the cotton jacket of the interconnect and heard a noticeable change. Looks like the connector itself is well shielded. Experimenting between gold and purple in the interconnect, I preferred the gold over the purple - more harmonics and fuller sound, just as SR said. Now, I got to find a place for the purple to sound their best.

Devg

Feb 16, 2020
Devg,
You gotta try the purple on your speaker cables.
ozzy

Ozzy, I use the Fidelium speaker cable which is two separate ribbon cables for +ive and neutral, so I cannot use it like SR suggests. I tried on the +ive side only but did not discern any difference.

pmiller

Oct 7, 2020
For me at least the use of these things presents a couple of issues that gives me pause to think- 1. A purist would say these things are simply tweaks and don't really represent the music as it was recorded, etc., etc. The result seems to be that the people you can discuss these things with is somewhat limited.
2. You buy these with the expectation or at least the hope that they will result in an improvement but almost inherently and at the same time you question how the hell something like this could effect what in many cases in a multi-thousand dollar system. 3. If you do sense an improvement and decide to keep these things don't you feel awkward, foolish or perhaps silly as you explain what they are to someone who notices them and asks what they are. 4. If these things really can change the sound you are hearing isn't it troubling that we spend thousands of dollars on equipment and find something that is about 1/3 the size of dime can alter what we hear?

tommylion

Feb 14, 2022
pmiller,

Good questions. Here's another one: How many good things do we miss out on out of fear that others will think we’re foolish or stupid?

Reactions: TEA FOR ONE

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
4. If these things really can change the sound you are hearing isn't it troubling that we spend thousands of dollars on equipment and find something that is about 1/3 the size of dime can alter what we hear?

How many good things do we miss out on out of fear that others will think we’re foolish or stupid?

Any change to a system can alter how it sounds. No one says you're stupid.

However - what would be good to see from the people who find improvement from this tweak is to post your systems so we have some context for your findings!

Reactions: twitch

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
For me at least the use of these things presents a couple of issues that gives me pause to think- 1. A purist would say these things are simply tweaks and don't really represent the music as it was recorded, etc., etc. The result seems to be that the people you can discuss these things with is somewhat limited.
2. You buy these with the expectation or at least the hope that they will result in an improvement but almost inherently and at the same time you question how the hell something like this could effect what in many cases in a multi-thousand dollar system. 3. If you do sense an improvement and decide to keep these things don't you feel awkward, foolish or perhaps silly as you explain what they are to someone who notices them and asks what they are. 4. If these things really can change the sound you are hearing isn't it troubling that we spend thousands of dollars on equipment and find something that is about 1/3 the size of dime can alter what we hear?

valid points and with that your point #2 hits home precisely ........ 'expectation bias'

the folks in denial of this are but the greatest examples of it !!

Reactions: Johngp

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Any change to a system can alter how it sounds. No one says you're stupid.

However - what would be good to see from the people who find improvement from this tweak is to post your systems so we have some context for your findings!
Posting systems would be good - wondering if posting listening biases (as Ron Resnick and I have suggested but few seem to want to do) would similarly provide helpful context?

pmiller

Oct 7, 2020
I don't mean to suggest that we shouldn't explore new things that can improve our systems. We should. What still amazes me is how a relatively tiny object you attach to a cable with blue tack can change and improve the sound from, potentially, a multi thousand dollar sophisticated system that, as owners, we have worked on improving for years. I just find it difficult to come to terms with the idea that we may be able to improve the sound of our systems with a $10,000.00 disc player or, for a similar improvement, we can stick a tiny disc on the outside of the cable from the information source and the wire end into the speaker. There just seems to be a disconnect here somewhere.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I’ve been using carbon discs for maybe 6 years and imo they do work in certain places but can be overused, likewise carbon tape.
The discs cost around $20 per 100 so to see SR price their carbon discs at $199 questioned my further support of the company.

https://www.agarscientific.com/

pmiller

Oct 7, 2020
Shame on you. You have apparently completely forgotten about the "special treatment" these discs receive the nature of which is both ill described and protected under penalty of death or worse. As I believe others may agree, I don't think this would be the first time we ever got hosed in this hobby if that is what is happening here.

• Wow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing