New system upgrade

MrNice

Dec 26, 2020
Having recently got back into vinyl and being able to have a hifi system as kids are a bit older now I'm looking to upgrade. My current system is
Rega P2 with Nagaoka mp110 cartridge
Onkyo a 9010 amplifier
Q acoustics 3020 bookshelf speakers.
Obviously I know this is quite a beginner setup and will upgrade all when possible. I currently thinking that upgrading speakers would be the best possible upgrade first. I'm looking at the q acoustics 3050i. Unfortunately I live so remote its impossible for me to get to listen to them first. Just wondering if any could offer advise? Thanks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Give some serious consideration to the Elac B5. They wowed me and an audiophile friend at a show a few years back, more impressive than the KEF Muons and Wilson Sabrinas in adjoining rooms.

MrNice

Dec 26, 2020
Give some serious consideration to the Elac B5. They wowed me and an audiophile friend at a show a few years back, more impressive than the KEF Muons and Wilson Sabrinas in adjoining rooms.
Thanks for the reply, I should have made more clear I'm looking for floor standing speakers as I think this will have the biggest impact.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Audio Advisor, Music Direct, and Crutchfield all offer minimum 30 day auditions with a full money back guarantee. Numerous brands, types to choose from. One of them carries Elac but I don't recall which one.

x1992

Jul 9, 2016
Dallas
It looks like what you would be getting with the 3050 is improved sensitivity (small speakers almost always need more power) and ~20Hz more of low frequency extension over a fairly critical area, imo. I think 3050 would be a lot more satisfying in bass and scale, granted you are happy with the treble and midrange of the 3020. I have never heard Q acoustic, but this a common theme across model lines of many brands. There is a tradeoff between bass extension and midrange/HF refinement at a given price.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing