new 'table intro?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Did i hear correctly, VPI may introduce a direct drive at the upcoming CES and it will be a flagship model?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Did i hear correctly, VPI may introduce a direct drive at the upcoming CES and it will be a flagship model?

It's been on the drawing board for ages. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That would be interesting if true. VPI in my opinion has been all over the map with their designs over the years. They went from inboard motors to outboard motors. From outboard motors to rim drive and back to inboard motors. I have owned two VPI tables. The first was a Scout that I bought brand new. The second was an older TNT table. The first thing VPI told me to do was to remove the two spindles from the TNT and they sent me plugs that snapped into the plinth to cover the holes. It seems that VPI discovered that the two extra spindles that were originally designed to remove the effects of side-loading the platter were causing more harm than good by introducing noise into the system. I have owned two VPI arms, the original JMW 9 that was on the Scout and the JMW 10 that came with my TNT. I was never a fan of either arm and replaced the JMW 10 arm on my TNT with an ET-2 which was a great combo.

I wonder where people are getting their direct drive motors and electronics from now? Are they really designing and building their own or are they coming from someone like Technics?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i heard high-tech electric motor, submarines and CES in the same sentence, but i cant recall exactly what was said in between. the show is only a few days away, we'll see :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
That would be interesting if true. VPI in my opinion has been all over the map with their designs over the years. They went from inboard motors to outboard motors. From outboard motors to rim drive and back to inboard motors. I have owned two VPI tables. The first was a Scout that I bought brand new. The second was an older TNT table. The first thing VPI told me to do was to remove the two spindles from the TNT and they sent me plugs that snapped into the plinth to cover the holes. It seems that VPI discovered that the two extra spindles that were originally designed to remove the effects of side-loading the platter were causing more harm than good by introducing noise into the system. I have owned two VPI arms, the original JMW 9 that was on the Scout and the JMW 10 that came with my TNT. I was never a fan of either arm and replaced the JMW 10 arm on my TNT with an ET-2 which was a great combo.

I wonder where people are getting their direct drive motors and electronics from now? Are they really designing and building their own or are they coming from someone like Technics?

While I understand what you're saying, you also have to look at what HW was trying to do at a given price point. The new table is cost-no-object, something HW fought doing for years, and probably will be around $30K. But from what I've heard, there's some magic lurking inside the best dd tables. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing