New to Audio Research

Randybird1

Jan 9, 2020
I’m an old audiophile. I got into the hobby back in the late 80’s with Counterpoint electronics, SA5.1 and an SA12 amp. Magnepan speakers and a Sota TT. I ended up selling high end audio in the 90’s-2012. I’d moved over to Krell electronics. Fur to life changes, I got out of the hobby. I recently decided to get back in and have always wanted to try Audio Research as it was so highly regarded when I originally got into it in the late 80’s. I did some research, probably not as much as I should have and in the past couple of days I’ve purchased a SP9 MKII preamp and a D-115 power amp. I’ll be using Vandersteen 2ce’s as speakers and a VPI HW19 TT. I guess you could say I’ve gone old school. I know it’s after the fact, but I just found this forum today. Do you think this will be a good setup? Is there any issues I should be aware of with this match? Thanks for your tike
Randy

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, and welcome back to high-end audio, Randy!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Enjoy. Likely a better system than many more recent components. If you paired with a pair of Martin logan cls, a wonderful combination.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Welcome to the forum, I've been in audio since the late 50s and have owned Fisher, Dynaco, Hafler, ARC, Threshold, Krell and now I'm back to ARC. My current pieces of ARC are newer than yours but, no where near the newest and I find them very enjoyable. So glad I came back to ARC.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
They have pedigree, history and good resale value. Not all their models have been great and certain periods in their past have feel somewhat below their usual standards, but having said that, I’ve been using their amplification in excess of 25 years and would be reluctant to change.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Welcome to WBF. Great setup from the glory days of audio. Just remember "the first one is free."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing