New Totaldac DACs in 2023 : d1-unity , d1-triunity , and d1-sublime

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Dear Vincent,

Please tell us more about these 3 new products, other than the brief descriptions on your website.

Many Thanks!
:D

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
My comments about the new Tri-unity DAC is on the #21 of the following thread :

Last edited:

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Inasked this question on the other thred but no reaction.
I hope here will be someone to advice

How about choice between 2 theoretical scenarios:
1. Totaldac DAC ( voulme control) + Totaldac Drivers + Heisenberg monos to Alsyvox Botticelli
2. Totaldac DAC ( max volume) + TotalDAC drivers + Humboldt ( volume control) to Alsyvox Botticelli
I wonder what scenario would work better 1 or 2 ?
Hello Kris

I experimented more since you visit me. I tried direct output from DAC (WEIIS the PLAYBACK) to Humboldt. Quite good if the output of the DAC is a real preamp and not only an output stage. This was tested with PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPS-8 which has a real preamp output, the result was very good but lacked like real life, same when MPS8 drove Humboldt via his integrated preamp.
But to my ears, using a DAC directly to an amplifier is not as lifelike than using a preamp. So as I know you want uncompromised sound, I obtain much better sound with my new amplifier line, APURNA™. They can be ordered with or without internal preamp. APURNA™ Prélude stereo amplifier with integrated preamp is really much better than Humboldt, details, dynamics, and more realistic tones. Using MPS-8 with integrated Prélude as volume control is completely different, much much better.
If the goal is to get even more realistic sound, APURNA™ Soprano mono-blocs I have on demo have their own mono preamp. At near the same price then , they are without peers I listened for many years, including Heisenberg. Proof is in the listening.
All I told you is based on the latest APURNA™ generation, available since 2023 which had many upgrades.
3. Totaldac DAC ( max volume) + TotalDAC drivers + Soprano limited Apogée integrated monos to Alsyvox Botticelli

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2023-05-01 à 09.33.00.jpg
    Capture d’écran 2023-05-01 à 09.33.00.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hello Kris

I experimented more since you visit me. I tried direct output from DAC (WEIIS the PLAYBACK) to Humboldt. Quite good if the output of the DAC is a real preamp and not only an output stage. This was tested with PLAYBACK DESIGNS MPS-8 which has a real preamp output, the result was very good but lacked like real life, same when MPS8 drove Humboldt via his integrated preamp.
But to my ears, using a DAC directly to an amplifier is not as lifelike than using a preamp. So as I know you want uncompromised sound, I obtain much better sound with my new amplifier line, APURNA™. They can be ordered with or without internal preamp. APURNA™ Prélude stereo amplifier with integrated preamp is really much better than Humboldt, details, dynamics, and more realistic tones. Using MPS-8 with integrated Prélude as volume control is completely different, much much better.
If the goal is to get even more realistic sound, APURNA™ Soprano mono-blocs I have on demo have their own mono preamp. At near the same price then , they are without peers I listened for many years, including Heisenberg. Proof is in the listening.
All I told you is based on the latest APURNA™ generation, available since 2023 which had many upgrades.
3. Totaldac DAC ( max volume) + TotalDAC drivers + Soprano limited Apogée integrated monos to Alsyvox Botticelli
Thank you,
I knew you are finding the best options only ,
Sounds interesting. Never had a chance to listen to the Apurna Amps.
Will need to investigate this sometime

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Thank you,
I knew you are finding the best options only ,
Sounds interesting. Never had a chance to listen to the Apurna Amps.
Will need to investigate this sometime
You are welcome (again).
Only PHPAUDIO has new APURNA™ and I will send you the review that will be in a French Audio magazine June the 23rd.
You can see what audiophiles said about them in my April blog

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hello Kris

Can you please elaborate on the differences / benefits of the Apurna versus the Heisenberg?

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Can you please elaborate on the differences / benefits of the Apurna versus the Heisenberg?
Hi
I could not compare Heisenberg to Apurna™ Soprano the same day, on the same system. I will not say more about Heisenberg as I was Audionet dealer for 2 years and I had a good relationship with Stefan.
That said when I had Apurna™ here, these change the rules so much that I could not believe how better are this French brand I do not know Apurna™ until 1 speakers manufacturer told me that it is the best amplifier he had ever listened to, and other customers in Europe I know for their very good knowledge about music and audio.
APURNA™ monoblocs are available in 2 models: Soprano and Apogée. Soprano is the first level of output power at 450W into 4ohm then Apogée is 600w into 4 ohm. more power into 2 ohm.
Full specs here
My monoblocs are Soprano limited Apogée, same power than Soprano but all the technologic subtleties of Apogée.
The sound difference of APURNA™ to all contender I tried, is that the sound is more natural, the question of SS and tube is irrelevant. They have no trade of the coldness that is the signature of other amplifiers. The second point is that the APURNA seems twice as powerful sonically than its real value. On pop music, contemporary music even experimental, you could have a realistic uncompressed sound like in a hall (even with the Apurna™ Prélude stereo amp). Then you will hear much more details especially if you have APURNA™ monoblocs with their monoral preamp. No cable inside, no cable link, transparency is in an other world. The last major virtue is soundstage and hall ambiance. Wide, deep and you fell the hall air, amazing. When I received here the world class maestro Teodor Currentzis, he was amazed how realistic was his recordings (the French sound engineer Max Ciup Grammy Award nominee was here too ).
All other performance, frequency extension, bass, tightness is at the top, may be better than all from mid bass to sub bass. Voices are palpable like on a small single ended amp.
Franck Borne the designer advised that he uses disruptive technology from aerospace and military field (he still work sometime for this). I can only say that these amplifiers are without peer (this answer your question), and each time I demonstrate Apurna™, each time the melamine order the French amp.
Last word : Apogée is limitless and is the very best I know, cost no object. It could have an infinity of finish. That's why I asked Franck to make Soprano Limited Apogée that have the same sound than Apogée (with less dynamic capability) at a more affordable price. About dynamic scale and impact like in real life, you will discover that amplifier could close the gap with unamplified music.
Apurna™ was lauded in 2017, was at Munich show in 2028 and 2019 and make no advertisement. Production is quite small with 10 to 12 units per year, and could be 25 at most. They are made like Swiss watches by Franck himself.

Reactions: sbo6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing